Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

How to: 1st Gen Gas Tank Fuel Pump Access Panel

I cut the hole in my 1993 XLT 4x4 using an air chisel. The tin went very easily but when I got to the double thick part it was harder. I drilled starter holes in three corners (front driver side front other and rear other). I hit the double thick part about 6 inches back from the front radius...
  2. J

How to: Ford 4R55E Transmission removal & installation instructions.

95Exploresport: don't try to force the tranny onto the engine. That last 5/8" is a trap to get you to destroy something. The tranny should slide onto the engine with less than an eighth of an inch - if it doesn't, something is not right. Resist the temptation to try to force the two together...
  3. J

Yes, the catalytic converter has to be removed. But the transmission will come out without removing the crossover pipe, which is a big plus. If you lift the rear of the transmission and then lift the transmission it will slide over the crossover pipe and towards the rear. This tilts the bell...
  4. J

Flat towing Explorer

Are you sure that they said "accessory" - my 1993 I set to the first position on to allow the steering wheel to turn and move the selector. Of course, I did not have to worry about transmission or power for brakes because they were not being used. But I towed for two or three days in a row...
  5. J

Flat towing Explorer

For lights on my 1993 Explorer XLT, I bought a light kit and installed the bulbs inside the tail light lens by cutting a hole the appropriate size between the two bulbs already there. I checked the space available in the lens before I did it. Then I strung the cable under the body, tying it...
  6. J

A4LD 1993 Explorer XLT problem

I reassembled and reinstalled the transmission after 7 years sitting. I checked the gasoline in the tank - looks good - burns on a plate. I'll give it a try. The relays clicked, the pump runs, starter won't engage - 9 or 10 tries and starter kicked in. I let the starter turn a few turns on next...
  7. J

A4LD Reverse feels like E- Brake is on.

littleRangerjoe: funny you should mention it. I have just finished reinstalling the A4LD in my 1993 Explorer after a repair job and it is doing something similar. It works fine for the first mile or two, then after it is warmed up, it acts like the brakes are on. It turns fairly easy in Drive...
  8. J

I have just reinstalled the A4LD in my 1993 Explorer XLT 4wd. I would like to have found some more detailed instructions for reinstalling, but was unable to find them. The following tips would have helped me: 1. It is possible to remove and replace the A4LD from the 4.0 L without removing the...
  9. J

A4LD Reverse/Intermediate Drum assembly

Thanks, PopRichie. Part of my problem is that I took it apart in 2004 and didn't find anything wrong. Although I laid things out in order, when we moved, things might have gotten scrambled and I forgot how things were after the 5-yr hiatus. The problem I have is that Glacier and Brain both...
  10. J

PopRichie: I know people are busy, but I have been waiting and watching this for over a year and over two months with diligence. So I recently put this problem area as a new post and addressed only the single issue. Still nothing. So now it is going on 3 weeks for it; I get it, no one is going...
  11. J

Well, I guess there is no point hangin' around here. I think I'll put it together and see if it works. Bye
  12. J

I made that mod to the measuring tool and now I measured 0.785 as the distance to the thrust face. Minus 0.71 gives me .075 end play. I measured to the bottom as Glacier did and now get 2.510 minus 0.71 and the difference is now 1.79 or the same as Glacier's. So clearly the tool was riding on...
  13. J

Anybody? Is no one familiar with this stuff?
  14. J

I think that there is mod that needs to be made to Glacier's home-made tool: the bottom of the tool should be shaved about 0.125 inch starting from 0.25 inches left of the left side holes to 0.25 inches right of the right side holes. If you look at the OEM tool in his picture it has this...
  15. J

The gauge that I made is very close to being in contact with the drum. The bearing surface on the drum is recessed. The thickness of the washer used previously is a #2 which is 0.063" thick, there is some wear on mine and measures about 0.060. Based on what I can see, the flat measuring tool...
  16. J

More details Here is what Glacier's tear down pictures look like. Glacier says there is a needle bearing on top of the internal gear as shown in this picture. But the diagram in the ATSG manual shows a different one than he shows in the next picture. The ATSG manual on the top of page 108 shows...
  17. J

Well, I reassembled up to the center support and measured the end play - it is zero. The thickness of the measuring tool is 0.71, the distance to the highest part is also 0.71 - the distance to the bearing surface is 0.81. That is only 0.10. Is this workable or is there something wrong with the...
  18. J

94 Explorer stalls when put in gear

If it was mine, I would look first at the IAC - Explorer engine is notorious for IAC problems, it is easiest and cheapest to fix. Symptoms are that the engine rapidly drops in rpm and shuts off. If you pump on the accelerator it will catch and run again sometimes. This is not a good idea to keep...
  19. J

Are A4LD bell housings interchangeable?

Go look at the frankentranny sticky (was the last sticky above) - early on he describes the differences, if not what you need the transmission rebuild talks about it some. I think they are identical. Update: sorry, I didn't notice that Brooklyn had answered. Never mind.
  20. J

I studied this again and there is a needle bearing with a bushing inside of the planetary - I did not take it apart, but both of these should be either before or after the planetary. There is a bushing on the front side of the gear that the planetary goes into between the gear and another needle...
  21. J

Well, I banged on the race for awhile and did not gain anything so I bit the bullet and drove the race off again - it was hard to get it off, but it finally came loose. I removed the washer and cleaned things all up. Then drove it on again. It went on pretty easy up to about .030 and then...
  22. J

4wd wont work

Do a search on 4WD Troubleshooting if you haven't already seen that thread
  23. J

A4LD have reverse no forward

If you are up to it, pull the pan and the valve body and check that all of the valves will move. Of course, look around for anything suspicious. Look for the little plastic filter (1/4 in diameter by 3/4 inch long) that is in the valve body plate with gaskets on either side. I am pretty sure...
  24. J

Explorer 4x4 problem

There is a motor in the transfer case that sticks - there is a description somewhere in this site about how to get it working. Search for "4x4 Troubleshooting", look at the sticky Brown Wire mod and the sticky about rebuilding that motor.
  25. J

Trying to reassemble the A4LD for a 4L 1993 Explorer, the detailed rebuilds don't show how the assembly of the two clutches go together to form the assembly that is mounted right behind the center support. I found the diagram in the manual but it doesn't appear to be right and not detailed...
Back