Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Contemplating Getting Rid of the '98

Thinking of getting rid of my '98. Last 3 repairs I did to it, front right brake line, door boot wiring from the footwell, and even merely unplugging the parking brake switch connector, were painful. Think the parking brake switch connector was the straw that broke the camel's back. Normally...
  2. J

3.5L 3.7L Water Pump Failure Teardown Video

We already knew this was an issue, but nice to see a teardown video...
  3. J

Bleed Brake Master Cylinder On Vehicle & Related

The brakes on my '98 seemed fine. Firm pedal, good stopping power. Had a front right hose go out, suddenly no brakes. Fortunately no collision. I thought these were dual chamber master cylinders so loss of front, should've kept rear brakes working? Seems like the same thing happened a few...
  4. J

Strange Washer Stuck To Liftgate

Today on my 2014 Explorer, I noticed near the top of the liftgate on the driver's side, in the gap between it and the adjacent pillar, there was a foam washer stuck to it and half sticking out of the gap, position indicated in the picture below. It is a half dollar sized black foam washer, with...
  5. J

Check Your Washer Fluid!

Last time I had the '14 Explorer in the shop for the recall to check toe links, they "helped" me by topping off my windshield wiper fluid. It'd been a few months but couldn't have had much alcohol evaporate out, because I seldom take it out in bad weather, haven't used the washers since then...
  6. J

Front Wipers Just Stopped - Ice - Best Motor Brand For The Money?

Had an ice storm recently. Cleared front windshield completely, started wipers, wipers ran normally 1/2 pass, to around the full sweep up position then just stopped, did not sweep back down and park. Turning wipers on and off, zero movement, just heard 3 faint clicks and motor not spinning...
  7. J

Fuel Smell Not Running

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but for the past couple months I've had a recurring fuel smell in the garage. I poked around and can't find any other source of the smell, that builds up gradually so difficult to pinpoint. I mean I have lawn type equipment, even gas cans but the...
  8. J

Shackles

Do I really need Warrior 153 shackles? They're out at Amazon, now $110+ everywhere else before even considering the bolts and bushings... bolts I can find anywhere, but I don't see a lot of people talking about the bushings, apparently they hadn't gone this long in a salted winter environment...
  9. J

Windshield Cracked

I was doing what I considered a routine thing. I jacked the vehicle on the "approved" jack point on the front of the left lower control arm. Once up, jack stands on the cross-beam between that LCA and the right LCA. All good, so I thought. I swapped out an axle hub, did brakes on both sides...
  10. J

What's Behind Right Rear Cargo Panel?

I was working under my '98 yesterday and unfortunately had a big chunk of underbody come off between the right rear wheel and bumper. Guess I ought to seal that back up but the curious thing is, peering in the hole I can see some electronic box and I don't recall anything that was supposed to...
  11. J

Spare Tire Hoist Failure

Had a flat tire today, went to lower the spare tire, and the hoist made it 1/2 foot down then started making a clicking noise and wouldn't go any further up or down. I managed to get the tire off but now the hoist needs fixed. Anyone have any insight on what fails on these, and is it as simple...
  12. J

Hub ABS Ring Teeth Greasy

I recently had my ABS sensor go out on my '98 4WD, front left wheel. No ABS light but it exhibited the typical activation of ABS when slowing down to a stop around 5 MPH. I put a new ABS sensor in and haven't had the ABS activate since, but while doing that I noticed something. Looking down...
  13. J

Multifunction Wiper Switch Detent

Got in my '98 the other day, and the windshield washer didn't work. I had a suspicion it was the steering column multi-function switch, not sure why, it just felt funny last time I switched from low to high beams and back. Granted I so seldom use high beams, it could just be that. Anyway I...
  14. J

BAFX OBDII ELM327 Scan Tool $15 on Amazon

BAFX OBDII ELM327 Scan Tool $15 on Amazon Lowest price I've ever seen on this model of bluetooth connected scan tool dongle. Supports J1850 which many of our older Fords use, unlike many cheap generic scan tools that claim to support all OBDII but do not support J1850...
  15. J

Moog PS End Link Bushings Downgraded?

I bought a pair of Moog K700542 Problem Solver front end links on Rockauto. It appears as though they have downgraded the bushings. What they claim is polyurethane, and picture solid bushings like the following: What I received instead, looks like they tried to downgrade to thermoplastic...
  16. J

Moog End Link Bushings Downgraded?

please delete
  17. J

BAFX OBDII Code Scanner Sale & Forum Rules Question

Newegg has the BAFX OBDII Code Scanner on sale for $18, lowest price I've ever seen it. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA59N1MT9229 This is the lowest priced bluetooth link-to-andriod devices scanner I'm aware of that has consistent compatibility with gen II Explorers due...
  18. J

Hood Prop - Tired Of Struts Failing

'98 Explorer. My hood struts are failing again. I've already replaced them at least 3 times. Fortunately the first time I bought them from Autozone they had a lifetime warranty, which they no longer have, but I made a scan of the receipt before the ink disappeared so I can get them free -...
  19. J

Touch Up Paint Mismatch

I had a ding on the lift gate of my 2014 Explorer. Bought some Motorcraft Touch-Up Paint UJ color code 7205A. I bought it on eBay but am linking to it on Amazon because ebay doesn't show a picture of more than the tip of the applicator...
  20. J

Alternator Symptoms & Part #

Drove 2 miles to the gas station yesterday and it ran fine. Spent ~ 45 seconds in the gas station, came out and it acted like battery was drained... barely turning over, wouldn't start. Got a jump from a good Samaritan and it started fine but during the 2 miles trip home the headlights kept...
  21. J

Grille Paint & Prep

Thinking of painting my grille... It's the standard chrome surround which is holding up fine, but a medium silver middle which has worn away to show the cream plastic color. Has anyone tried Krylon Fusion Textured for plastics on this? I already have a black can of it sitting around, though...
  22. J

Is there an advantage to raising or lowering tire psi ?

^ At -3 I'd have just eyeballed the tires and waited till later to fix anything not looking nearly flat. Besides, a little under inflation helps snow & ice traction.
  23. J

Ignition Cylinder Steering Wheel Bind

Apparently the last time I'd parked my X I had just turned the steering wheel a little to the left (barely, more like only pressure that direction than turning much) and was still applying pressure to it when I turned the ignition off. That resulted in resistance to the right which put the...
  24. J

Hard Cold Starts - Leaner Or Richer

'98 XLT, V6 SOHC I've been driving her less often than I used to and short trips so it may be that I'm not getting the battery charge topped off, but it's getting harder to start once the temperatures drop to about 0F. It might have been like this for years, as it used to be garage kept so it...
Back