Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Wheel size change

Trying to stay on a budget. Have a 2003 Mounty with 17” wheels. Need some tires. I have a chance to buy a set of Explorer 16” wheels and tires at a great price. Any problem going from 17” to 16” with brakes, etc?? I think should be fine- Thanks,
  2. W

servoborefix problem installing new servo

Finally got it. I ended up taking the cap out again, rotating the servo in the bore about 180 degrees, cleaned, re-lubed, and reinstalled the cap. Finally went in after three hours. The original IM servo Wes cracked. Drove it 20 miles, and it shifted like new.
  3. W

the OD servo (larger one) went right in. I've been working on the IM servo. It didn't "nest" in the cap like the OD did. I'm close, but about the thickness of the snap ring away from getting it seated. I am using the block of wood and lever to get it in. They came out so easy, I thought I had it...
  4. W

I'm installing new o-ring servos into a 2003 Mountaineer with the 5R55. I'm having a problem getting the new servo in far enough to install a new snap ring. Before beginning work, I adjusted the band to 10 ft/lbs, and then backed the adjuster off a full two turns. I can get the new servo in so...
  5. W

'97 2wd 5.0 oil pan replacement ???

I'd see one thread where someone used a rubber gasket and stretched it around the pan, all on the outside, and got it in place that way. This way, he didn't need to fully remove the pan, or fool with the oil pump. just dropped it down, removed the old gasket, and put it back. I was thinking of...
  6. W

'97 2wd 5.0 oil pan replacement ???

I need to replace the rack/pinion on my 1997 Mountaineer with a 5.0 V8 and rear wheel drive. I also have an oil pan gasket leak. I'm wondering if I can get the pan loosened enough to work on a new gasket with the rack removed and not have to unbolt exhaust and without raising the engine. I've...
  7. W

Inner Tie Rod Excess Play w/ New Tie Rod

Inner tie rods or rack I know this is an older post, but this sounds like my problem too. I've recently replaced inners, outers, balls, kingpins, and sway bar bushings. I have a small knock when I'm at neutral steering and quickly move the wheel back and forth just enough to see movement on the...
  8. W

2003 Power Window Problem

Same problem here, but no solution.
  9. W

'03 4.6 Coolant in oil

That's my thinking. I haven't looked at all options, and a motor swap is above my shop, but 6k gives me a jasper installed with warranty. So, I think I'll just going to drive it till it quits, then swap.
  10. W

'03 4.6 Coolant in oil

I have decided that it's either the beginnings of a failing head gasket, or a cracked block. If it were head gaskets, I would have them replaced, but I haven't been able to confirm gaskets or heads. My problem is I don't want to spend 3K on gaskets, then still have the problem because it's the...
  11. W

'03 4.6 Coolant in oil

I've seen your posts also, and followed them closely. I've replaced both the intake manifold gaskets as well as the oil adapter gasket. At least on my 03 4.6, there is no way to bypass the oil cooler, but it's not a bad job, or expensive. It didn't fix mine though. Eeprete, are you still driving...
  12. W

AC cycling switch confirmation of okay to remove

disregard. Once I saw the new switch, I could see the schrader pin, so switched it out, no problem.
  13. W

AC cycling switch confirmation of okay to remove

I've been tracing down why my AC clutch is not getting power on my 1997 Mounty with 5.0L V8. Everything points to the low side cycling switch as being defective. with a jumper in place, the clutch operates and I know my charge is good...checked it with manifold gauges. I want to replace the...
  14. W

1997 AC randomly doesn't engage

Anyone else have this problem? It's been working all summer, and then cut off again today. It's not a charge issue. Tomorrow starts troubleshooting, but if anyone has been through this already, I'll check their area first since it seems that most of the problems present as the same weak point to...
  15. W

2003 Mounty 2WD rear noise

Bearing or diff Sorry. absolutely no twisties here, except for interstate clovers. I've been reading other posts, and all the indications of a diff problem have the noise subsiding in that sweet spot between deceleration and acceleration. I haven't been able to get it to go away, at all, so I'm...
  16. W

2002 XLT, No Cruise Control

Plus 1 for the brake fluid pressure switch. Dealer told me it was the cruise control module and wanted 100's to replace "after" a 90.00 diagnosis fee. Replaced the switch in the master cylinder, and been good ever since.
  17. W

2003 Mounty 2WD rear noise

Please help me diagnose a noise from the rear of a 2WD 2003. It's a roar...(almost like a mudder tire) which increases in pitch with speed, is NOT affected by putting in neutral, doesn't get worse through a turn to left or right, and doesn't come and go when accelerating, coasting in gear. I'm...
  18. W

'03 4.6 Coolant in oil

Oil cooler/filter adapter Too funny, that's me you quoted. :) Anyway, I did replace that gasket. All looked fine. That's also a good recommendation about the low pressure cap. I loosened mine, and drove it for a few weeks, but still lost coolant at the same rate. I've been driving long and...
  19. W

'03 4.6 Coolant in oil

thinking about coolant in oil... So I'm sitting here thinking about the coolant getting into the oil in my 4.6. I've narrowed it down to just a few things...all bad. I would like to deductively reason if it's heads, head gaskets, or block. If it's a head or head gaskets, I'd consider having it...
  20. W

Coolant leak pressure question

Still losing coolant to the oil Sorry, but I think you're farther along than I am. Did you have a shop do the head gaskets? The shop should have noticed the freeze plug leaks behind the timing cover while doing the heads though, right? From what I've seen, each head has a plug, and the block...
  21. W

1997 AC randomly doesn't engage

I had to replace the accumulator/drier two seasons ago, due to it rusting out. When I replaced it, I also replaced the orifice tube, vacuumed everything down, and recharged with the correct amount of R134A. The AC worked fine all last year, but towards the very end of the season, the AC quit...
  22. W

'03 4.6 Coolant in oil

No, due to the fact that on the 4.6, the oil filter "spin on" is the oil cooler with the coolant flowing from the block directly to the oil filter adapter. It has one "hose" going to the lower radiator and that's it.
  23. W

'03 4.6 Coolant in oil

Sorry, but no good news. I still have the truck sitting still, until I decide what to do with it. I did replace the oil cooler gasket, but it didn't solve the problem. I'm still losing coolant into the oil. I believe the only things left are head gaskets, freeze plug behind timing cover, or...
  24. W

Recommend a motor shop in the Memphis area

Still need help... Anyone with a good recommendation in the Memphis area?
  25. W

Recommend a motor shop in the Memphis area

I have a 2003 4.6 that's getting coolant in the oil. I've traced about every leak that could be fixed in my garage, and they've all checked out okay. The only thing left is head gasket, head, block, or freeze plugs. I need to take it somewhere that's trustworthy, fair priced, and does good work...
Back