Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Yep thats the ones. Well I only ordered one in October 2013. It was $47 shipped. Give it a try and let us know if anyone does buy one off this seller. I will update like I said when it goes out, but as of today and over 10k miles later still quiet as can be. I am pretty confident with it...
  2. J

new to me - few issues

Rear end noises are common. Search around the sticky posts and you will see. Battery gauge I don't know but there is a common issue with the wires going through the door rubber boot where it cracks.
  3. J

TrueBlue auto parts. Here is a link to his store not the actual part. http://stores.ebay.com/True-Blue-Auto-Parts I would buy again. I know you hear horror stories of eBay junk but if I can get this at a 1/3rd price of the big box sores why not. Probably the same stuff. So far it is holding...
  4. J

Just a update: I got a eBay cheapy bearing and been quiet for 10k miles now and counting. Fit was fine and think I used the original bolts (from a ford oem replacement first time around.) I don't know what seller but one of the sellers that sold a lot of them. It was like $40 shipped. Will...
  5. J

random battery light/running rough- stumped

04 4.6l New battery, new Autozone alternator. Battery checks out and alternator shows its charging per my tester on my battery charger. Randomly the battery light goes on and start running rough. Wife says the battery light comes on and then she shuts it down /back on and it is fine...
  6. J

ABS light comes on intermittently

My 04 had the abs light and I replaced the rearend speed sensor and went away. It is on top of the rear differential. Hardest part is dropping the spare tire. I just blew out the area with compressed air, undid the wire clip and took out the one 8mm or 10mm bolt. The sensor is a magnet...
  7. J

update/funny story. Put the Ebay bearing on the left front. Everything fit perfect and it came with new bolts even! I reused the stock ones from my first replacement though. So these are not original bolts, rather the ones that came with the Ford OEM replacement I did at 25k ish' miles ago...
  8. J

Ya I am glad I didnt go with primechoice. I will let you guys know for sure how this seller is and how the bearing is. I am reusing the bolts as I got new ones with my older bearing and pretty sure I saved the OEM ones. Here is what the ebay said to me when I QUESTIONED the quality/ China...
  9. J

When to throw in the towel....

Or drop the cat and hollow it out. Tires- check a local junkyard, they might have some decent used ones. Brakes- maybe just throw some el cheap'o pads on it. Transmisson- Run it till it wont move anymore. If they are going to put a new one in, who cars how "toasted" it is.
  10. J

thanks! I didnt get 5 years out of the timken one, so if I get 5 years out of a chinese one I will be happy. I was going to order from that seller but went with the other seller who seemed to have better feedback. on the negative feedback he had a few, but everyone he took care of (mainly...
  11. J

tires are decent. I plan on rotating the tires before I tear into it, but I dont have my hopes up. update= tires were fine like I expected. We will see how long a ebay wheel bearing holds up when I get it installed. My thoughts are what is the different between a ebay china bearing and a...
  12. J

Just a update. I did Ford OEM replacement front bearings from Tousley Ford at around 60k miles. Now at 105k miles one of them is humming again up front. Got a Ebay one ordered for $47 shipped. Not too impressed with the lifespan I got on the both OEM units. Replaced front/back bearings by...
  13. J

recent ac issue...3 and 4 blow the same

I am on my 2nd dial switch on my 04 xlt. Seems to went out at 40k miles and now at 80k. 30$ at o riley autoparts.
  14. J

Front end noise 2003 V8 4x4 Limited

automatic 4X4 kicking in. Are you turning sharp? You could drop the front drive shaft and see if it still does it.
  15. J

What's gonna go wrong next?

I say blend door actuator or rear end whine. :)
  16. J

2nd heater control fan dail. arggh

04 explorer. at 40k miles the blower motor fan worked on high and low. Everyone says resistor but I tried the dail the knob pushs into on the dash and it worked. Well till now, about 40k miles later the number 3 doesnt work and feels crunchy. I went ahead and did the blower motor...
  17. J

reccomendations for a new battery

I have a walmart battery in my 04 explorer and in my other car and plow truck. The walmart battery in the plow truck impressed me after 4 years use in a car and now 5 years in that truck. good luck
  18. J

How to replace real wheel bearing '02 XLT?

dealer charged me 300$ a side. They had it done with in a hour and half. I am capable of doing the rears but too many things could go wrong so I took it in. I did the front bearings. good luck
  19. J

2005 LTD 4.6 buy or no buy

you wont have to worry about the rear springs breaking.
  20. J

Blower not working on speed 3

replace the turn dial the control knob goes into on the climate control panel. I had that issue on my 04. Worked on 3 and 4 nothing else. pretty easy, pop off the dash bezel, remove 2 bolts that hold the climate control panel on , disconnect the connection and pop out the old dail...
  21. J

?Any tips on replacing front struts?

I didnt. But it wouldnt hurt.
  22. J

2004 Explorer fuel filter PITA

i get your idea but dont think it is worth the trouble. the fuel filter is in a tight spot, but not too tough. IF you were to do this, make sure you get high pressure fuel line. In my other car back in the day I ran some high pressure hose and worm clamps. It held up to 100 psi and...
  23. J

2003 Mercury Mountaineer. ABS problem.

This is why I stuck with a OEM wheel bearing assembly. I got it for 170$ shipped from Tousley Ford. Good luck.
  24. J

Oil Capacity / V8 Explorer

my 04 v8 takes about 6 1/2 qts. I run only motorcraft oil in it.
  25. J

2004 Explorer Limited with 86K - to buy or not to buy?

i bought a 04 xlt v8 brand new. I have had alot of issues and I am too lazy to type now. But all the common issues i have had. This forum is a great place to be and helped me fix them as I like to work on my own stuff when I can. My ex is great in the snow, has power and is quiet and...
Back