Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Going on hiatus!! :(

Feb. 2013 at the latest, nice if it were sooner. But trust me I am getting another!!
  2. M

Going on hiatus!! :(

Well, we made the hard decision to say goodbye to the Green Monster, our 94 XLT. Problems being a ton of money needed just to get it to pass inspection, and the mileage sucks. Which I know about, but it was our only car and we drive 90 miles x2 daily to take our youngest son to his special ed...
  3. M

Transmission fluid leak, but where is it going??

We have a 94 XLT, auto transmission, auto hubs. A few weeks ago after backing out of our parking spot, I put it in drive, won't go into gear. I put it back in park, then drive, won't go, then finally kicks into gear. Runs fine the rest of the day. I check the trans fluid level , quite low, so I...
  4. M

Is the fuel pump on it's way out??

Update: Well after having no problems for a bit here, now it won't go at all. I turned the key so i could hear the fuel pump, nothing. I am going to check the relay. Luckily it's located at a store over a 5 minute walk from here and not several hours away. Update part 2, After reading up a...
  5. M

I will have to get a fuel pressure gauge and check that, found how to do it on the forum here. The fuel pump does engage when it's on, sounds normal. I will have to check the solenoid, got some time this weekend to actually do some troubleshooting. If anyone else has ideas please post them...
  6. M

Hi folks, Sorry I have been absent for so long, been busy and truck has been working fine, until now. Every once in a while when starting my truck, I get a rough idle then dies after a few seconds. If I try again immedietley, won't even turn over. After 10 minutes or so, starts up like...
  7. M

No interior lights, where to check?

Allright yesterday I changed the bulb in my dome light since I thought it was burned out. Pulled the bulb, it looks fine and intact, filament and all. But I replaced the bulb anyway. Nothing. A couple of things did catch my eye was at the round plastic base where you plug the bulb in, it looks...
  8. M

Manual VS Auto hubs

I have automatic hubs on my 94 XLT, as far as I know they are original. Right now they work great without any problems, though I have not had to go into 4X4 much (only had the truck for a year) Should I change over to manual hubs or just keep what I have until they go bad? Just wondering.
  9. M

Approaching 400,000 Miles.

500K?? Awesome!! :) My 94 just hit 200K, it's on another post here with a pic. All original engine and tranny as far as I know (only owned it a year so far) But she runs great and leak free. Just do the usual maintenance for now. But I'm wondering though, my odometer has 6 digits, is this...
  10. M

Just needed to show off

Happened this morning, truck is still running great, hopefully will go twice as many more miles!! :)
  11. M

my 94 explorer project(pics)

Thank god for a mild winter this year. I see you have as much snow as we do in Maine. Heck of a lot easier to do outdoor work. :D Looking great so far!!
  12. M

Bad ball joints perhaps?

I have the same tire wear that you do, and I know it's the ball joints according to my local mechanic (he is trustworthy) Both front tires wearing out on the outer edges quickly. Haven't had the popping sounds in reverse though.:)
  13. M

Rear glass defroster only partially works

Now winter is here, I need to defrost the rear hatch window. However when I do, only the top third gets defrosted. It's like the rest of the defroster in the rear window is not working. Where would I start to investigate how to fix this, if it can actually be fixed?
  14. M

'93 Ford Explorer Repair Questions

$900 for ball joints? I think Landmark Ford is tied in with our local Ford "Stealership" that's what they quoted me. A local mechanic I go to charges $50 an hour, does excellent work and is honest. Says it would be a 2-3 hour job. I can buy the lower and upper ball joints for roughly $120 from...
  15. M

Third row seat in 1991 XLT

I NEED THAT 3rd seat from Littlepassengers.com site. My youngest son is autistic, and for the most part is a good passenger, but a lot of times when traveling he will kick relentlessly the driver or passenger seat. No chance of that happening with that 3rd row. Let's see what I get during tax time.
  16. M

Rough idle at start, but only occasionally

I have checked that recently, along with the air filter too, both are good. I'm not sure what else to state about it, cause I've described everything that the truck has done. I'm going to get the fuel filter replaced, along with plugs and plug wires. Who knows when they were last done. (I've...
  17. M

Update: Well it decided to conk out at a stop sign, then when I tried to start, it pulled the same rough idle crap. 30 seconds later it started right up as nothing happened. Besides the FPR, can it also be bad fuel too?
  18. M

Oh, what is FPR anyway??
  19. M

It's only happened on warm starts. The way I described is the best way I can, I know it's a little vague. But do appreciate the help!!
  20. M

Ok this problem happened twice with me this past month. When I start the truck (94 XLT) it idles very rough for about 15 seconds, then dies. The first time it only happened once. After about a minute I tried again, and started fine. Yesterday it did the same thing at the grocery store...
  21. M

Possible future cruise control issue

I know it's an odd title, but I am wondering about my cruise control. It clicks on normally, but when I brake to shut it off, the engine will rev high for a second or two before it shuts off. Is this normal or a possible future problem?
  22. M

Ball Joint types

I have a local mechanic that charges $50 an hour for labor. He says for him it should be a 2-3 hour job, and he does good work too. I'm buying the parts myself, and he doesn't charge extra if you do that (a lot of shops here will charge $10-20 extra per hour if you bring your own parts!!)
  23. M

Ball Joint types

Thank you!! Much needed information. The only thing that sucks is they are more pricey than the dana 28's. But I need them done, so 35's I go.
  24. M

Ball Joint types

I went to my local garage to have some tire wear checked out. Found out that my ball joints (upper and lower) need to be replaced. I called Autozone for prices and they asked whether it was Dana 28 or Dana 35 since my 94 XLT could take either one. How would I find out this info? I called the...
  25. M

Uneven wear, front right tire

I did a search for this problem, can't find anything. One problem I seem to have with my 94 is the front right tire will wear faster than the rest. Tire pressure is normal. It's wearing the most in the middle and outer edge of the tire. Inner edge seems ok. A few months ago I had replaced the...
Back