Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

100% gasoline, amsoil full synthetic, and nitrogen filled tires. What is best?

Hey Joe you can't go wrong with Amsoil. Simply the best. JD
  2. J

iPod connection?

New to my 2013 here. How are you all plugging in your iPods, if one can? JD:salute:
  3. J

Oil Change interval

Hey that's cool, whatever works for you! I just want the best for my Explorer. This is my third one and all my vehicles go 200,000 to 300,000 miles and they still keep going. Enjoy the ride! JD
  4. J

Blinker only goes 3 times?

Is this how everyone else's blinkers work? I turn on the blinker, it goes 3 times and turns off no matter what the driving/steering wheel placement is. JD
  5. J

Oil Change interval

Use a "real" full synthetic, not a hydro-cracked version like Mobil 1. Amsoil. Best stuff out there IMHO!
  6. J

2011 used Explorer, should I?

Hello All: After reading these comments I have decided to steer clear of the 2011. The dealership by my home had a 2013 demo model that I picked up. I tried to buy it outright, but the payment was way too high for me. I ended up with a 19,500 mile a year lease, and they gave me $4,000 as a...
  7. J

2011 used Explorer, should I?

Hey Gang: Been awhile for me on here. I have been driving a 1997 Explorer for sometime now. There is a 2011 Explorer at a dealership close to me. It is a "limited" with a DVD player in the rear headrests with Navi. Only 14,500 miles. They have it listed at 37K, but will take $1000 off...
  8. J

Help on Headers

All: I read some posts where some members said that the FMS headers were no better than stock. That is just rediculous. They are a huge improvement. The ports are at least a 1/4" bigger than stock, and have way better flow. They aren't as good as the TM's, but man what a difference for the...
  9. J

?'s on Tranny, Gear Box flush - 5.0

I was had. Both the ATF fluid and gear lube was a synthetic blend. They told me it was 100% synth. Don't let it happen to you. I hope there isn't a problem with the blend - especially in the gearbox and diff's. Booooooooo JD
  10. J

Need balljoints for the '99... confused on MOOG parts...

I have the Moog's on my 97 (upper and lower). How do we grease them, and with what? Can you actually get to them? JD
  11. J

Here is some info on the gear lube, doesn't look like a synth to me. Maybe they don't make a synth for the gearbox?? http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENINDEXSPARTANEPGearOil.asp
  12. J

Yeah, i called around with little luck. So, I ended up going to the place that at least had a full-synth product that they used for the tranny flush, and then they used the Spartan brand for the diffs and gearboxes, which they claim is also a full-synth brand. I hope I got my monies worth. JD
  13. J

Oil Weight 5.0 Litre

Whoa..Ok. So this chart says to switch to 5W20, but others rave about 0W30. What gives? Why would Ford suggest switching from what the original manual says (5W30) to 5W20? Now we have the 0w30 argument. Mix it all up and it's a good ole hornets' nest. Hmmm....
  14. J

I would have went with Mobil1 ATF but couldn't find someone to do it for me. The gearbox and diff's got the Spartan brand. $149 out the door to do the tranny flush, gearbox, and diff's at QuickieLube.
  15. J

Well I didn't get any responses - so I went with Quaker State full synth on the tranny and Spartan full synth on the diefferentials and gear box. JD
  16. J

My '97 5.0 is due for a tranny flush, including the gear box and filter. AT 130K miles, can I go full synthetic? What can I expect to pay for the fluids and filters at Autozone, and then cost at a local place to have them do the flush?? Thanks! JD
  17. J

Oil Weight 5.0 Litre

0w30 has me intrigued. The gas mileage increase alone makes me want to try it. The idea has merit!
  18. J

FMS Wires

Hey Aldive - I got them at Summit racing for $37.88. There was a $9 handling fee (?), but no charge for shipping. JD
  19. J

FMS Wires

I just bought these wires to try out with my Denso Iridium plugs. Here's the write-up.. Wire-wound Custom Ignition Wire Sets feature low resistance for minimum spark loss. Silicone insulation and boots withstand high temperatures and voltage loss for minimum cross-fire and are highly...
  20. J

Oil Weight 5.0 Litre

Aldive: Any change in MPG when you went to 0w30 vs. 5w30? You ARE the MPG master, ya know. Too bad you don't have the 5.0 to experiment on! JD
  21. J

Oil Weight 5.0 Litre

Yep - the manaul says to use 5w30, so that is all I ever use. And I always use the Mobil1. I just thought that maybe I should explore my options as a best practice. I live in Michigan, and so the winter vs. summer makes for different conditions, and with the engine approaching 130K, there might...
  22. J

Oil Weight 5.0 Litre

I usually use Mobil1 5W30, and at 126K miles, the guy at the oil change shop said "you should use 10W30 now that you have that many miles on it". What do you all think?? JD
  23. J

Help on Headers

Thanks for the input gang. Regarding the chip, how much is it, where do you get it, and does it require you to steer clear of the 87 octane fuel? Last, will it increase the average miles per gallon under normal driving conditions?? Thanks for the help. JD :us:
Back