Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

TPMS reset

Well, either your horn is broke or the sequence wasn't performed correctly. The horn goes off after the second round of brake/key manipulation (sections 5-6), but doesn't sound off after the first round (sections 1-4).
  2. S

Tire Sensor Fault

Part of the TPMS training routine is to activate each sensor individually. You go clockwise out your driver's door and do the front driver's side first. If one of the sensors is a goner, you'll know which one because the horn won't honk. The horn honk is an acknowledgment that the sensor is...
  3. S

Rear Differential Drain Bolt Access

Cool, I've seen the Scorp's several times, solid rockers who can't seem to figure out retirement. 1983 was the year I got out.
  4. S

Mine didn't, but all the replacement oil on the shelf at Autozone had the friction modifier added in already. It won't hurt the gears if it's in there too. I think you can tell if you have a limited slip differential if the stamped tag on the differential has an "L" in it - should be in the...
  5. S

I bought the 3/4" breaker bar at Ace hardware, not sure of the brand 'cause I'm at work now. It looked almost as wide across the top as the 1/2" breaker bar with the adapter on it, but it fit (just barely). I doubt there'll be a low profile version out there, as a 3/4" breaker bar needs to be...
  6. S

ELM327- FORScan lite connection issue solved

I have an ELM327 wifi diagnostic scanner that I use with my Iphone 5s to scan with FORScan lite. I can get my 2103 Taurus SHO and my 2007 E-450 6.0L motorhome to connect just fine, but always seem to have problems getting a connection with my 2006 Explorer XLT. Very hit or miss, and the...
  7. S

Tire Sensor Fault

The tool is still available, and not too expensive - Motorcraft TPMS 19 tool...
  8. S

I just did this last night, and had the same problem. 3/4 adapter on my 1/2 breaker bar was just a tad too long, and I ended up with a $40 3/4" breaker bar that I'll use just once. I did get some use out of the adapter, because as you back the drain plug out you run out of clearance pretty...
  9. S

Can't get OBD scanners to connect 2006 Explorer XLT

Thanks for the suggestion. I pulled the #4 fuse and it checked out OK on the multimeter. I pulled the #1 fuse too in case I had some kind of dyslexia. Why does the OBDII port need a 20 amp fuse anyway? The cigarette lighter is not listed as piggybacked on that fuse in the manual. With the...
  10. S

Can't get OBD scanners to connect 2006 Explorer XLT

I've got an old Innova OBD2 scanner and also FORScan Lite with a WiFi plug on my Iphone. Neither will connect with my 2006 Explorer. I can get the FORScan to work on my 2006 E-450 and 2013 Taurus SHO, and the Innova will work on 2005 Jeep Liberty and 1999 Lincoln Continental. For some reason...
  11. S

Info On Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious fix to these systems. Just drill 4 holes in a metal plate, & mount all 4 sensors to it. Then weld up a box around them & pressurize the box. Then place the box under a seat (or get all fancy & mount it up under the dashboard) & install whatever...
  12. S

4x4 turns on by itself?!?

Yeah, my wife has done that a few times, mainly as a passenger. Found a reference on FTE about the CV joint between the front axle and the transaxle. I'll poke my head under the car tonight.
  13. S

4x4 turns on by itself?!?

2006 V8 explorer XLT with about 90K miles. Seems like twice last weekend while on a trip to hot Salt Lake City the 4x4 turned itself on. I could feel some extra vibration in the front end, and see the 4x4 light on. What could be the root cause of this? Perhaps a tire diameter is off...
  14. S

Parking brake handle is broken.

Geez, I'd forgotten about this. Guess my fix is still working, eh.
  15. S

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

That's it - once the engine fires up, you're good to go.
  16. S

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Just turn the ignition on, and it'll reprime quite quickly. Then get out and check for leaks.
  17. S

TPMS replacement options 2008 Mountaineer

Amazing how much misinformation is out there on the TPMS, especially from the dealers and tire stores who should know better. As for sensors, don't forget Ebay as a handy cheap source of sensors. Even used, they should have a battery life of about 10 years. The donor cars don't have to be...
  18. S

TPMS reset

The Ranger and the Explorer should have the same blue TPMS sensors mounted on the rim with a band. The tool I posted about wasn't listed for the Explorer either. It only became available with the newer F-150's (starting in 2008, I think), and wasn't listed for 2006 or 2007 models. Actually...
  19. S

Info On Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

Look at my post #89 above for resetting the clamp and band style (2006 to present). Buy the tool from Ford. The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all four regular road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency (RF) signals...
  20. S

11.3 mpg, this can't be normal!

Only 3 miles at at time. Hmm. You are probably still in closed loop operation, as the O2 sensors aren't warmed up enough to kick over to open loop control of the air/fuel mix. Closed loop is a rich mix. My only suggestion is to clean the mass air flow sensor. Can't hurt, might help, just...
  21. S

Recall 09B11

I had to have my '06 XLT towed due to this problem. And that was after 2 previous trips to the dealer for the same issue, but they dinked with the brake solenoid instead. Haven't seen any recall notice yet.
  22. S

Checked with the local Ford dealer, and they want $128 for the entire assembly. So I glued it together with superglue gel and put a hose clamp around the 'panhandle' of the handle. IF that don't hold, I guess I'll be using the metal hook too. Annoying, but not worth $128 and a couple hours of...
  23. S

RockAuto doesn't list the part. FastPartsNetwork lists the part, but no picture, so hard to be sure what I'd be getting (at $108, I'm not going to 'wing it' either).
  24. S

Well, happened to me now too. I can still operate the brake release with the metal piece that's left, but that sux. All I need is the plastic handle part, but it looks impossible to thread that back on the metal hook. If Ford is going to make the handle so flimsy, they outta make it easily...
  25. S

TPMS Monitor batteries

I haven't taken a microscope to them, but I don't think the batteries are all that easy to get to either. I think the sensor is pretty well sealed up intentionally.
Back