Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

explorer parts for sale

Hi i have to get rid of my 2 explorers asap as new car is coming: 1st explorer is a 1997 with 150 thou miles and is moted and taxed with a couple of months left on both. Drives really well all working except for drivers window. The engine does tap now and again but not too bad has had the oil...
  2. P

full leather interior for sale

Hi i have for sale a full leather interior in very good condition from a car that had only covered 33000 miles. I am including all door cards as well but one of the door cards has a scuff but not to bad. I can also include full carpets as well if required. I am located near gatwick airport as...
  3. P

Tyres???

im fitting 285 75 16s on at the mo and i am having issues. I have lifted body 3" and fitted shackles as well as tt but i will probably still have to trim.
  4. P

Hi-new girly with a question

Hey if you ever need a hand with the explorer give me a shout as im just down the road in horley and have 2 explorers that i have rebuilt both the engines on.
  5. P

UK spec explorer does a 0-60mph

The last time i was on a stirp i managed 8.43sec 0-60 and that was completely stock. It really depends on the condition of your engine as my other explorer does a 9.6sec 0-60
  6. P

'04 Explorer EB Crank pulley problem

the bolt pitch should be m8 x 1.25
  7. P

Anyone need a new exhaust

anyone know where i can get a sports exhaust as i would like to sound a bit louder and sporty
  8. P

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga

I forgot to mention the only problem with the engine stands are that the engine is very top heavy be very carefull rotating the engine on the stand.
  9. P

The threads are pretty sure are m10 by 1.5 pitch. As to the removal of the cvhain return guide i think that it would be a gross underestimation of the engineering invoilved in the design of this engine. Speaking from design engineering experience that guide is there for many reasons and has...
  10. P

Am i right in thinking that you will be removing the engine then as you cant replace the rear tensioner without removing the gearbox or engine. You will have to remove ladder as well to search for fragemnts of the the rear tensioner along with the oil pump strainer.
  11. P

code readers

yea it all depends on your usage. I have had a usb obd2 for years now and i find that they are invaulable. Bu ti use mine for all my cars and the missus car not to mention any friends that need it. You are right that the information on the explorer is limited but that also depends on what...
  12. P

code readers

i use a elm327 usb obd2 reader with my laptop and it works great theres loads on ebay at good prices
  13. P

steering rack change

well they are so weak i have had two just blow and then cover the whole underside of my car. Two others have just started to leak and then i ruptured another when i was removing the pipes. There weakest point are where the fins are crimped on. The aftermarket one i fitted is working really...
  14. P

steering rack change

Its amazing i spent all day working on power steering starting with the breakers sourcing a cooler and pump then the joy of fitting them. I am fed up with the standar steering coolers i have got through 5 of the stupind things and ford dont sell them anymore. Today i found a nice mgb at the...
  15. P

2 problems with my 200 4.0 auto

Your arae describing a standars floor mounted ****fer. If the button is very stiff it may be the parking lock pin. Does it still roll in park or does the gearbox lock
  16. P

Harmonic balancer failure

you may be able to inspect for play in the rubber by using a spanner on the bottom. I have seen a few where the rubber had perished and cracked and possibly may have led to this sort of failure if left on the vehicle.
  17. P

SOHC timing chain longevity

what you have said is interesting and i agree that there is a lubrication problem. I belive that the tensioners are flawed in other ways as well. I have re built a few of these engines and have come to the conclusion that the plastic material used on the tensioner is not durable enough and...
  18. P

anyone ever fitted other engines in there explorer's

i dont think that the v8 explorer is that much faster then the sohc. I have also considered putting a supercharged jag engine in an ex but its just not worth ib because for less money and trouble you could rebuild the 4.0 sohc with preformance parts and supercharger/turbo and really have a beast...
  19. P

advice on a couple of niggles

probably best to jack the vehicle and put the front on stands and have a play and see if you can find where the play is. Could be rack as the ford rack are prone to failure but they will usually leak when failed so prehaps take a peek in the boots of the rack and see if there is an oil leak.
  20. P

What have i broken now??

well how far did you strip the engine on the stand did you remove the ladder frame becasue there is a tight tolerance on reassembly that need to be observed and set correctly with spacer shims. If not this can pull the tc of center causing it to catch or break the flexplate. If its grinding the...
  21. P

did you replace the track rod ends
  22. P

on point 2 have you checked the dif mounts.
  23. P

So close i can smell it

im in the exact same position i have just fully rebuilt my engine and on saturday it took all day but i got it back in all i need to do is the wiring and fluids fortunatley i have a fully wired and plumbed engine on a stand that i can refer back to and also another explorer to refer to as well.
  24. P

WANTED engine spares

Hi guys im looking to source some sohc engines that need rebuilding as i am looking to build two engines as spares for my two explorers as well as a turbo engine. Thanks
  25. P

Snow at last!

ive pulled a cop vovlo ouat on the way to work today and a discovery out of a ditch last night. My missus manages a nursing agengy so ive got the dutys for dropping and collecting the nurses. The ex is just fantastic in the snow.
Back