Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Will 97 newer 4.0 ohv work in a 96?

same clutch and flywheel specs my research appears to show the same bolt pattern, number of teeth on flywheel and bolt pattern. Also, same part # for clutch. Anything I am missing?
  2. W

Will 97 newer 4.0 ohv work in a 96?

I just picked up a good running used 4.0 ohv for my 1996 xlt 5 speed 4wd. The seller assured me it was from a 1996. When I got home I notice the 8 bolt flexplate, it came out of an automatic. I have heard the bolt pattern is different. Will this engine bolt into my 96 (6 bolt flywheel) with...
  3. W

any 95tm heads for sale anywhere?

Finally getting around to start my engine rebuild. ('96 4.0) Decided against a 5.0 as having a manual is more important than the extra power and torque. I have already swapped in 4.10s. Picking up a core motor today. I will do a comp cam and related valve train upgrade. .40 over, and a few more...
  4. W

best new/rebuilt heads for 96 ohv 4.0

I am still debating between buying a v8 awd and swapping in a manual trans or just rebuilding my 1996 ohv 4.0 4wd 5 speed xlt. I love my truck but it needs an engine. Manual XLTs are hard to find, I think my final answer is to put in a mild performance rebuilt. Bored (possibly with early...
  5. W

Convert 5.0 AWD to manual trans, how hard?

I have a 1996 ohv v6 XLT 4wd, 5 speed vehicle. I love having 4wd as I drive on the beach often. I really prefer driving a manual, I know this is a rarer truck as they did not make many 5 speed XLTs. V8 AWD 2nd gens are easy to find cheap around here. I have a full shop at my house, I love a...
  6. W

Dashboard remove and replace, how hard

I have a 1997 Explorer, the dash is all cracked, I have a parts vehicle with a good dash. How hard is it to swap a dash. Is it better left to an electrical repair shop? I am pretty skilled mechanically, I just swapped out my diffs for 4.10 LS, front and rear. Thanks, in advance. :exp:
  7. W

1956 F100 Explorer Chassis Swap

1949 Checvy on an Explorer Chassis This is my shop truck for my custom MC seat company. www.pillowtopseatcompany.com 1949 Chevy 3100 panel on a 1997 frame. sohc v6, all wheel drive, ABS, full power, w/ Automatic. Still working out some bugs and the interior. I bought it this way...
  8. W

You think you got bad weather, it got so cold here I had to put the top on my car up! The hardships I endure just to live in Fl!
  9. W

4.10 Front and rear diff swap...finished!

I prefer the Pro Comps, as I mentioned but I did not want the AT Extremes. And EVERYBODY runs Goodrich T/A KOs. I replaced Goodyear Wrangler GSAs. Generals are a great tire for the value. They also sponsor the off road truck series I like to watch on Sundays. I went with NTW out of West...
  10. W

Totally worth it, best upgrade I ever did. The limited slip is amazing. Being in Florida, I drive mostly in sand and heavy rain. In 2wd, I would just spin when letting out the clutch. Now it pulls straight and hard when I pop the clutch. I see no reason to run a locker unless you are crawling...
  11. W

Wow, finally done, took 3 weeks but it drives great! I could not have done it without all the great threads and advice on this forum. Too start, my Ex is a 1996 XLT 4wd, 5 speed. It is likely the rarest of the Explorers. I have only come across a few 4 door, 5 speed, 4wd vehicles. My had...
  12. W

Looking good. I have a 1996 Explorer, I could use some parts. You say the power windows actually work! I also have a 97 parts truck. I needed a better dash and electrical parts for my 49 Chevy panel truck on an Explorer chassis. Picked it up for $650 and AAA+ got it home for free. Gotta love...
  13. W

Awesome, that is all you need to get started. Right now "Classic Truck" and "Custom Classic Truck" both can be had for about $10/year subscription. Every single part you need is available to do the job. My shop truck is a 1949 (gasp) Chevy 3100 panel truck on a 1997 Ford (whew) Explorer...
  14. W

will my 96 ohv 4.0 fit in a 98 ranger?

:exp:I got a lead on a 1998 Ranger 4.0 ohv 5 speed auto, that need a mtr. Cheep. I am about to pull the 4.0 ohv out of my 1996 xlt 5 speed manual, Can I put that motor into the ranger and flip it? Would I need an 6 bolt flexplate? Thanks, Woody
  15. W

Hilix heads on ebay, any opinion?

I heard back form the guy, made in China. I think I will pass.
  16. W

Hilix heads on ebay, any opinion?

Has anyone used or have an opinion on the Hilix heads on ebay. Thanks, Woody http://www.ebay.com/itm/HILIX-NEW-Bare-Cylinder-Head-1995-Thru-2002-Ford-4-0-late-/300950718177?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46120f86e1&vxp=mtr
  17. W

1996 4.0 heads wanted

Looking for a good set of ported or aftermarket heads for a 4.0 OHV build. Prefer EQ 95tm. but will consider any.:exp: New or good used. Thanks, Woody woodco100@yahoo.com
  18. W

dual valves springs OK with stock cam?

well, the add is still up, so I will see if he responds to my PM.
  19. W

I sent him a PM. Thanks for all the info and advice. I am not in a big rush, but if the reight deal comes along...I will get the 4.10s installed. The motor has over 200k and over heated a few months ago. Now it wont go over 65, but that will get me to work and the beach. Surf has been lousy...
  20. W

can you send mw his email or ph #, I do not belong to the RPs site, Thanks
  21. W

Cost delivered to Fl 32789?
  22. W

I might have a lead on 1 pair with stock valves. $600 delivered. Should I grab them, is it worth it?
  23. W

All other things considered as I listed. $400 delivered for new 98tm stock heads. Or $600delivered for EQ95s with stock valves. Both with the 94 piston. Is it worth the extra $200.
  24. W

So it really comes down to whether the EQs are worth the extra money. I can run 98s for higher compression or 93s EQs for better flow. these are on ebay for $400 Description A pair of BRAND NEW 4.0 Ford cylinder heads. These heads fit Ford Ranger, Bronco II and Explorer with the 4.0...
  25. W

My 4.1 front diff is being built right now, my limited slip 4.10 is outside waiting to be installed. I run 30s or 31s. My company pays for the gas! Thanks, Woody
Back