Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

Your O.K. they cross over when switched. (the light beam)
  2. C

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

Getting around to fixing some things on my 99 explorer sport today. Ive wished for a long time the overhead display was useable. Well I said to myself ,I bet someone else has that problem and knows what to do. Short story--I soldered the two 510 resisters as recommended and yes it works...
  3. C

Help wiring trailer brake..98 explorer

I just wired my 99. I ran three 10 Gauge wires (need three for what I'm doing)from engine compartment to rear compartment on drivers side. START-Theres a big rubber grommet in firewall,punch a hole through that and push your black controller power wire through to a 20 amp auto reset breaker...
  4. C

2001 radio swap...

I think it might.Is there two places on the sides to put the extractors to pull it out of dash.?If yes ,it will work. I put a 2001 in my 99X because thats the year they finnally fixed the bad solder joints.It has a different color face ,but identical radio. I got so mad trying to fix the...
  5. C

Help wiring trailer brake..98 explorer

try E-trailer ,they have the trailer wiring kits. kits plug in behind tail lights, no splicing. http://www.etrailer.com
  6. C

4.0L sohc rear timing chain

Not as far as I know.But you have to take the transmission out to get the flywheel off to get at the guide bolt. The rear guides usally are ok and are seldom replaced.
  7. C

Solved Transmission and Axle codes.

Roger that -class III :thumbsup:
  8. C

What kind of trailer hitch do you guys have?

I heard that U-haul is doing a payback thing by not renting to explorer owners because they were sued a few times by ford trailer renters. So we are on time-out with U-hall. ?????????
  9. C

thanks The bumper frame says max tow 3500 lbs. with 350 max Tonge W. The trailer I want to tow is about 3000 lbs max loaded. Should I just get a regular class 3 hitch to be on the high side. as for the 4800 lb , is that because of the tranny being a 5r55e. or the 3.73 rear end.? mine...
  10. C

My 1999 explorer sport has on the door lable. Axle code- D4 -which is ? 3.73L Trans code-D Under trans code , it says 97-05- A5LDE/5R44/55E What does those codes mean as I;m trying to determine towing ability of my truck.?
  11. C

looks like your truck is a 1996 .
  12. C

Replaced alt. still not charging the battery.

Maniak-Good idea. I was trying to fiqure out just how to test for a drain.I'm going to save that info in my repair manual. Also-I wonder if his battery is really any good. My new DieHard battery went dead two days in a row after charging it each time and letting it set overnight.Sears said it...
  13. C

The Black Hole

Your truck moves my soul. Great truck
  14. C

Replaced alt. still not charging the battery.

Battery totally dead. 1. Battery is defective. 2.Something is drawing it down.(lights left on) 3.If the alternator is charging,is the charge getting to the battery.? The 175 Amp fuse would not draw the battery down,It just protects the circuit.
  15. C

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Engine and Motor are the same thing ??? We were educated that an Engine is a fuel powered unit.(gas,diesel.prophane) and A Motor is an electric powered unit. (heater motor,door motor etc) Many people incorrectly refer to vehicle engines as motors. Not a big deal,but it puts your brain on the...
  16. C

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

1999 sport. 138,000. I just did timing chains tensioners and guides because of mileage and age,although they were intact when I took apart, I'm glad I did it. I hope I can get to 200k. Love this truck.
  17. C

Cheap front suspension parts

Rust ,whats that.? My 99 explorer still looks new underneath.Still has factory stickers everywhere.
  18. C

Grinding noise when coasting to stop light

Are u touching the break pedal when U are coasting to a stop.? If U are Im thinking pad wear sensers.
  19. C

Hello from Sweden

Welcome.You should find a lot of help with your explorer on this site.
  20. C

Just sayin hey!

Welcome,great info on this site.Sure helps to keep trucks in shape.
  21. C

On second thought--RockAuto is probably the way to go. I didn't see the $30 shipping from e-bay,and yes you would have some kind of a warranty from RockAuto. Also do you really need all them parts? Tie rods and sway bar links are usually not in need of replacing.
  22. C

If the labor is free,that is your doing it yourself,get them. Other countrys have been known to make good parts. Ever hear of foreign cars/trucks. American cars are loaded with foreign parts that work fine. If they were from Mexico Id say run don"t walk away. The junk coming from there is...
  23. C

Hope you never have to see this

WOW-What a job. It used to be a simple cable to do the same thing. The door was metal and the whole assembly was forever.(in the old days) .Now it takes a cheap plastic Blend door as they call it (fancy fancy) and a servo motor to do the same thing. Drives me nuts how difficult it has become to...
  24. C

Hope you never have to see this

WOW--I think my timing chain replacement job was easier than that. Are the replacment parts BETTER made. I sure hope so. Is this a common problem.? I hope not. What vehicle was it.?
Back