Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 4

Issue with 96' Explorer 5 Speed. Clunk, vibrate from front

3rd explorer, and I still can't diagnose every issue I guess. I have a broken sway bar link as of rechecking today. Would this also cause a vibration at higher speeds. I have new control arms, new upper and lower ball joints, and new outer tie rod ends. These could be 2 irrelevant issues, so...
  2. 4

Weird intermittent engine noise. Whirling/Popping under Acceleration/Revving

I have a 99 Sport 4.0 OHV auto. I first noticed the intermittent ( usually more so than not ) noise when I was driving. Under acceleration, sometimes at only 2500rpms, other times at higher rpms, it makes a loud whirl that gets louder than makes a pop noise and goes away and does it again and...
  3. 4

95 amp and Sub

IMO, this is is what you need: http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-Thunderform-10-FORD-EXPLORER-1991-2001-Sub-Box-NEW-/160341318812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2555165c9c#ht_2764wt_1392
  4. 4

Looking to go up 5" for cheap

Can't you use blocks if you switch to SOA?
  5. 4

Looking to go up 5" for cheap

I'm looking to lift my 99' Sport 5". I'm still in high school and only bring in 150-250 a week and spend a lot of money fixing my car, my sled, and paying for whatever else, so I'm tight on cash. Now, here is what I was looking at and would like suggestions as to which route to go. This...
  6. 4

Whats your Explorer worth?

I only paid 1k for a 99' Sport 4.0 OHV and all it really needed was simple things, cv joint,outer tie rod ends and oil change ( maybe a front driveshaft to, but I've gone 3000+ miles with it ).
  7. 4

99' Sport steering and making noise under acceleration

Come on! I need to figure this out. 1200+ miles and still does it
  8. 4

No one? It goes away sometimes, but is more than usually there.
  9. 4

What to expect MPG?

1999 Ford Explorer 4 door 4.0 SOHC. 17 to 28mpg ( old explorer ) 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2 door 4.0 OHV. Averaging 20, and seen as good as 30. I'm a delivery guy so fuel economy is something I pay close attention to. To prove I'm not over exaggerating, my dads 2002 F-150 5.4 that was my daily...
  10. 4

Have a 99' Sport 4.0 OHV and when I got it the tranny shifted like crap. Did a filter change and added lucas and slowly worked in and now shifts like new. I can accelerate up to highway speeds ( 75+ ) if I do it a slow pace ( keeping RPM's under 2500, and sometimes as high as 3200 ). I know I...
  11. 4

Picked up a "mint" 99' Explorer Sport. Tranny issues, what to do?

Friend of mine sold me this supposedly "mint" 99' Explorer 4.0 OHV. Its an automatic and the first test drive I took ( around a parking lot ) and all seemed okay. Get it on the road, make it about 5 miles down the road and the transmission wouldn't downshift when I stomped on it. Things went...
  12. 4

Will this fit behind the seat of a regular cab ranger?

I'm looking at a regular cab ranger and it's wired for an amp so I'm looking to put some subs in it. My first choice was an mtx box for one 10" sub that was built for the ranger, but I wanted something a little more. The dimensions are: Width 49-1/4" x Height 14-1/2" x Top Depth 4-1/2" x...
  13. 4

What size amp to go with?

I'm picking up an explorer and will have some cash left, but I'm looking for a little more bump so I'm going with a 15" Kicker L7. The specs from the site are: 15" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils square SoloKon polypropylene cone with Santoprene rubber surround aluminum basket power...
  14. 4

V8 Explorer for trailing? ( plus some trailing pics for those who want to see )

I'm picking up a new vehicle this spring and I know I want a V8 SUV. Im looking into smaller SUV's so that put the Expedition I want out of question with its nice 10-14mpg ( Figure its about the same as the toy hauler f150 I have ). So now I'm looking into an explorer. I liked how my 99' 4.0...
  15. 4

How are V8 explorers?

Underpowered for a 5.0 V8. 5.0 V8 in Explorer: 210hp 4.0 V6 in Explorer: 210hp So the 4.0 SOHC and 5.0 make the same amount of HP and right around the same torque numbers with the 5.0 being slightly more.
  16. 4

How are V8 explorers?

Going onto my 3rd explorer, and don't know if I should go for the 5.0. I like having a decent amount of torque, fuel economy isnt HUGE to me, but I do know that the 5.0 is reasonable. Reliability wise, how is it? I'm looking at picking up something between a 97-99, with under 150,000 miles on...
  17. 4

OD Off light Coming on -- NO SHIFT PROBLEMS, GOES GOOD. Why?

Well, changed the filter and fluid today and a few pieces of brass came out. Will be picking up a new tranny tomorrow, and will await it to go boom.
  18. 4

OD Off light Coming on -- NO SHIFT PROBLEMS, GOES GOOD. Why?

Alright, my mom just picked up an 03' Explorer 4.0 SOHC with the 5 speed auto tranny. The OD Off light comes on and flashes after a few miles of driving. Shut the car off, and turn it back on, goes away, and comes back a few miles later. Throwing no codes at all. No shift problems at all. Goes...
  19. 4

Ford Explorer Died while driving. Has spark. Turned over, then battery died

Im assuming I snapped a timing chain. Man this is gonna be a long fix if it is
  20. 4

Fuel pressure was over 60lbs. Put a new o2 sensor on it. Tried to start it with ether through the intake, not even a putt from it.
  21. 4

So in the past 4 weeks I've put 3500 miles on my 99' Explorer 4.0 SOHC. Today the first series of unexplainable problems have happened. I have been throwing codes for an o2 sensor and MAF since I got it, but it runs fine, and I just clear the codes every so often ( comes back on after about 45...
  22. 4

Eliminating Auto 4WD on 99' X

I have a 1999 Explorer 4.0 SOHC, and have found the auto 4wd to be extremely annoying. I can't slide in out of corners, or get the back tires to burn at all ( and obviously cant do a brake stand ). It's also annoying when beach and sandpit driving because I can get it to start sliding where I...
  23. 4

99' SOHC 4 Door - Incredible fuel economy

That's what I was thinking, but GPS shows 54-55mph when cruise control was set to 55.
Back