Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Should I buy an explorer

Another thing to remember is the Explorer, like the venerable Crown Victoria, has been utilized for a number of years (since 1996 for the CV and since 2013 for the Ford Explorer PIU) by law enforcement. A crappy model wouldn’t hold up to the daily use and abuse law enforcement files out to...
  2. A

Accurate Video about Carbon Monoxide Issues

I'm in oil/gas, and have utilized this model in the past too. I own one and have been keeping it in my 2017 Explorer since I purchased it new a week ago this past Saturday. Thus far it has registered goose eggs which is what I expected. Am not knocking those who believe they're affected by CO...
  3. A

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

As a matter of fact I did but have been purchasing from Bob Cline for years. I purchased my Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) from Ziegler's out of Michigan (www.factoryplans.com) using PAYINFULL for the discount code. I purchased an 8 year/125,000 miles, $200 deductible Premium Care Bumper to...
  4. A

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Got my new Explorer fully tinted, new Michelin Premiere LTX tires (dumped the poor quality, lousy riding factory tires), installed splash guards and most importantly picked up a new 8 year/125,000 mile warranty from Bob Cline at www.factoryplans.com.
  5. A

Should I buy an explorer

I just picked up a heavily discounted new 2017 Explorer Limited on Saturday. MSRP was $47,755 and I got it for $32,210 out the door. It's fully loaded with Equipment Group 301A in White Platinum Metallic Tri Coat. The last Explorer I owned was a 2008 and this unit is light years from my old...
  6. A

Cheap Plastic mirrors

If it's still under the factory warranty, take it in and Ford will replace for free. I took my 2008 in with 13,000 miles on it and 1/2 the warranty gone...they replaced both of them free of charge under the warranty.
  7. A

Engine Block Heater

Hmm, I know when I went to my local Napa Auto Parts dealer, they offered me a block heater but when I asked who made it, they stated Kats. I specifically wanted a Phillips and Temro as that's all I've ever used with great success. I don't know what to say about the unit you have but I walked...
  8. A

Engine Block Heater

Nope, you won't be able to rotate all that easily and can damage the o-ring to where you have to replace the entire thing. Best of luck as it's a real pain because typically you have to drain, reorient, refill and then you're good to go. I've seen many GI's who are transferred to Alaska by the...
  9. A

Engine Block Heater

You might recheck the instructions as depending upon the year of the Explorer it points up or down. I show in the Zerostart application guide that the 1990 to 2008 4.0 engine requires it to be pointed at the 6 o'clock position and yes, it can cause engine damage if oriented in the wrong...
  10. A

Engine Block Heater

You should be able to reach in and feel the block heater...when it's plugged in, within a couple of minutes it will be quite hot to the touch to where you won't be able to touch it for more than a couple of seconds. If you're not getting that type of heat, then you may not have the cord plugged...
  11. A

Studding your own tires?

Okay, if you're talking about drilling your own, I've known a few guys who have done this successfully but you want to make sure there's enough rubber there for the studs. Add to the fact that if you drill too deep, it will require a patch on the inside and you will never be able to have a stud...
  12. A

Studding your own tires?

Can't and shouldn't be done. If they've been run on the ground for any amount of time, studding the tires is not a good idea and not recommended by any of the tire manufacturer. You can try but many have failed trying to do this as there are small rocks, dirt, etc., that get into those holed...
  13. A

2008 4.0 v6 AWD mpg question

I drive an 08 with just under 11,000 miles on it. In town I get 12 to 13 mpg and on the highway around 21 to 23. They're heavy vehicles and it takes alot of fuel to get that mass moving...stop and go just kills us in town. Keep in mind the cold weather (we have 16 degrees right now where I'm...
  14. A

Paint problem with 06 X?

Easy to do if done correctly. Time consuming like waxing a car. Don't do it unless it's at least 60 degrees or more outside. Go to the following: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=clay+bar+kit&aq=1&oq=clay+bar&aqi=g10
  15. A

Paint problem with 06 X?

I have had this on my past Explorer's and successfully used clay bar with chemical to remove it. Then I would rewax and everything was smooth as a baby's butt. Typically, I clay bar all of my vehicles every two years to remove road grime, grit and anything else the State of Alaska plow trucks...
  16. A

Paint problem with 06 X?

I believe what you may be seeing is what is called "rail dust" and can be read about at: http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/rail_dust/index.cfm http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258340 http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef00a75...
  17. A

99 4.0 SOHC Block Heater Installation

The 2008 Explorer I purchased came from the lower 48 and didn't have a block heater. The local Ford STEALERship wanted $375 to install a block heater. They admitted it would be an aftermarket block heater "to help save me money" and total would be $375. I choked and walked out cussing. I...
  18. A

2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 5 Spd Auto

I did some searching outside of this forum and found the following for the 2008 Ford Ranger with the 4.0L and 5 speed transmission: 5R55S 5 = number of forward gears R = rear wheel drive 55 = toque capacity maximum input from torque converter S = synchronous gear set
  19. A

Yes, it is the 4.0 with the 5 speed automatic. A And yes, I have a couple of the symptions such as when I let off the accelerator going around the corner and then reapply it, WHAM, it takes a couple seconds for it to kick back in and then a kick. Very unusual feeling. Also have the Slam...
  20. A

Can anyone tell me what model transmission I have in this 2008 model? I've searched the threads, used the search feature and still can't find anything. I've got some issues with it and the way it shifts, and am trying to see if the 2008 have known tranny problems and what might be able to be...
Back