Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

ABS sensor replacement.

The two front ABS sensors are in the front hub assembly. Turn the wheel to one side and look behind the tire for a black wire, that wire goes to the ABS sensor. Welcome to the forum
  2. M

Will at 4 door drivers door fit a 2 Door Sport

I do not think it will fit. One would think that the 2 door model would have larger doors to allow easier access to the rear seat
  3. M

Won't Idle and runs rough and 'STINKS' of rotten eggs

By the stench, my guess would be a plugged cat, but I have 0 experience with LPG vehicles.
  4. M

5.0 XLT AWD Conversion to 2WD

It would be a heck of alot easier to just leave the front diff out of the truck. You are going to have to take it out of the truck to gut the gears out anyway, so whats the point?
  5. M

Slight rumble/vibration coming from drivetrain on acceleration..what is it?

Changing diff fluid might even solve your problem. If you did not want to change it (I think its a good idea to change) you might try just adding the friction modifier to the existing diff oil. Take out the speed sensor and pour in a few ounces at a time. Might work, might be a waste of...
  6. M

Differential Identification?

One metal tag on the diff would read something like 3L73, another tag would state to use 75W140 synthetic fluid only (assuming they are still there). Or the door code would start with a D.
  7. M

The CV joint on your front driveshaft may be on its way out, that can cause some strange noises/vibrations under certain conditions. Removing it serves two purposes, you check it out when removing it (if it falls apart, it isn't any good) and then you drive the truck around without it in place...
  8. M

Front drive end growling noise

Thats easy! <CLICK HERE>
  9. M

If your clutch pack is on its way out; You would only feel the shutter when accelerating from a stop, when turning slow speed and the diff was already warmed up, on occasion you MIGHT feel it a little while after this. I never had it shudder on me when the axle was cold. Trying to describe...
  10. M

Differential Identification?

Your front diff is a dana 35 Your rear is a ford 8.8
  11. M

I think it's a transfer case component, but not sure. PICS

You might be able to pull this repair off yourself. You will have to take the front driveshaft off, remove that yoke from the diff, replace the seal and put it all back together. COUNT how many revolutions it takes to get the nut off and do exactly the same number upon re-installation. Some guys...
  12. M

I think it's a transfer case component, but not sure. PICS

Me 2. Keep it full, whether or not you use 4 wheel drive. It spins all the time your truck moves, so if it goes too low it WILL overheat and eat all the bearings within. Been there, no fun.
  13. M

Another newbie question - Which rotor to buy for front break of 98 EB V8 5.0L AWD

All 98's were equipped with ABS, however the rotor may fit multiple years (thats my guess). There IS a difference between a 2X4 and the 4X4 for front rotor selection. The 4X4 and AWD systems share the same rotor, regardless of the particular model designation. I would go with the "daily...
  14. M

3rd gen 4x4 center diff question

That incident took place prior to the third gen's creation. (recalled in May of 2000) Your safe.
  15. M

3rd gen 4x4 center diff question

Since the "Explorer rollover" controversy, and its underlying cause, I don't put too much stock on those stickers. The found that they were caused by under-inflated tires, but they were inflated to what that sticker stated as the recommended pressures. I believe that Ford, as part of a TSB or...
  16. M

1997 Explorer Axle Problem

Thats what the car-part website will show him. Junkyards all over, with the part listed, by condition, price, contact number and distance from his zipcode. Just sayin :D
  17. M

Try the car-part link if you don't want to chance it. A replacement knuckle shouldn't run too much out of a junkyard (My wild azz guess is about 50 bucks). The issues may magnify as you try to disassemble the upper/lower balljoints and the tierod from the knuckle. Separating them from it may...
  18. M

#1: Stay away from Autozone. My opinion of them, and all the "flashy supermarket style autopart stores, is: buy oil, fluids, sealants and air fresheners there, filters and switches too. Other than that, nothing, not even a lug nut. Trust me when I tell you, that stores "lifetime warranty" sounds...
  19. M

Where to get the steering knuckle (the part you are talking about) would depend on how much time you have. If you need it fast, www.car-part.com would be a place I would use to find one in a local junkyard. If you have some time, there are 2 guys that sell used parts that are forum sponsors...
  20. M

Option Codes

Maybe. I was never quite that curious. Write it down and take a ride. Worst thing that could happen would be they say that they can't help you. Good luck
  21. M

Option Codes

Axle ratio can be found on a metal tag hanging on the diff cover (rear). If you can't figure out the code on the tag yourself, just post it up. Without that sticker (the Vehicle cert Label), you do not have anywhere to gather all the other info. Your VIN can only tell you: 1,2,3rd...
  22. M

Cruise control steering wheel switch replacement

Much easier. Your rubber covers probably dried out to the point where it was difficult to move. Take it easy on your new ones.
  23. M

Driving on a bad hub bearing in that condition MAY contribute to premature CVaxle wear, but that is not a given. Replace the hub bearing with a Timken unit so you won't have to do this job again in as little as a few months from now. If you need it, there is a very good write up on this forum...
  24. M

2004 Rear Diff ???

And the ONLY way to know for sure would be to open up the diff and look inside. In my opinion, it would be doubtful that someone changed the ratio. They would have had to change front and rear at the same time. While that is possible, if it was a repo and not a wrecked/rebuild, it is quite...
Back