Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

I need direction for a 1998 1500 4x4...

The reason I was looking at the 8k winches is the biggest front receiver we can put on these trucks is 9k lb pull. Putting a 12k lb winch and actually trying it would result in ripping the front end of the truck off! lol I am going to talk to my mechanic here in a few weeks and see how much...
  2. C

Well so far, I bought a tuner off craigslist for $80, which was a good deal i think. I have it set for 91/performance right now. It also let me adjust the spedo for the different tire size. Not sure how acurate I am yet, but I will find out sometime here soon. I tightened up the throttle...
  3. C

How do I increase my braking power for towing?

Ya, I have a brake controller. Trailer has brakes on both sets of tires. The braking is weak without the trailer which is what was concerning me. It's strong enough I don't mind driving it around normally, but really hard stops don't seem to be an option hehe.
  4. C

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=UBP86447_0129730729 http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=RBPUP7259BX_0319316565 Those are what I installed. I bled the brakes a bit with the pumping brake pedal trick. I guess the next step is to completely...
  5. C

Long story short, I replaced the tires on my truck from 245/75/R16 with 265/75/R16 on 16x8 rims which is barely an increase at all. Now my braking power is considerably less. I replaced the original front rotors with new premium ones and new brakes. I still cant brake nearly well enough...
  6. C

1999 Explorer Sport Transmission Problems

Well you can ohm out the solenoids, but if your going to go through that trouble, you might as well replace them. Have you had the 2-3 shift flare problem? Might as well do the shift kit while your in there.
  7. C

I just bought a 1998 dodge ram 1500 4x4 long bed with a 5.2L for $6k. It only has 24k miles and has a class 4 hitch and some bull bars/brush guard on the front. It was a military service vehicle that was used on the specwar base. I am going to use it as a tow vehicle and winter vehicle...
  8. C

New Tires

I am now a huge fan of cooper's discoverer series. The AT3 tires have some of the best reviews around. I have them on my truck, and when it gets time for me to replace the HT's on my explorer, thats what I am going to put on.
  9. C

I Squeak and I dont know why!

Ya, I am suspecting those now as well. They stopped after a good spray down, but I already had to replace my rear body mounts so it might be time for those as well.
  10. C

Well I sprayed everything down that even looked like it was movable with "Ultra Lube" which the kragen guy recommended. Almost all the stuff I had at home was silicone based and this stuff is an oil based. No squeeks for over a week until today. Very light occasional from the rear. I...
  11. C

I have no problem actually doing the work, but different parts require different lubes, and if you use the wrong one even once it will just cause your seals and such to melt/deteriorate.
  12. C

As the title said, I squeak a lot and I am not sure why! So far, due to various reasons I have replaced the fallowing parts: All shocks < 1k miles Front Rotors < 1k miles Front upper and lower ball joints < 1k miles Rear body mounts < 2k miles The front and rear end, especially the...
  13. C

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

I replaced all my gaskets and every solenoid in the valve body. Now I have strong drive, but no reverse. What did I screw up? lol 5r55e 01 sport 2wd.
  14. C

Well I replaced both gaskets and the EPC Solenoid. I torqued the three inner bolts to 70 lb inches and the outer bolts to 90 lb inches with the exception of the two bracket bolts and the three of the bolts around the shift solenoids and epc/torque solenoids which I put at 70 because thats what...
  15. C

No, no CEL. I even drove it up and down the block in first/second to see if it would come on, but it didn't. I am trying to get my hands on the gasket set. Kragen doesn't have it which leaves me with the dealer which isn't open on the weekend. Well the parts dept anyway. The only reason I...
  16. C

Ok, I will grab a new gasket kit before I drop the pan. I think I will go to harbor freight and get an actual inch lb torque wrench since I am using a ft lb and converting. It might not be as accurate as it needs to be at that low of a setting. Thanks for that, I wouldn't have thought the...
  17. C

Kinda Confused I am kinda confused. I got my hands on a transgo shift kit, and after I put it in, I had no gears and no error codes! I dropped the pan again and found the my VB bolts were not tight enough. I brought them up to 90 inch/lbs. Now I have gears! However, I have almost no...
  18. C

Saving the rear controls.

Ya, I looked at that thread, especially since I have an 01, but didn't see any way I could make it work so I figured I would ask.
  19. C

Are the high beams on HID's disabled because of the alternator?

waiting on a response from them on the adapter rings.
  20. C

Honestly I only purchased those Xentec's because a buddy of mine got them and loved them. Having driven his car and seen how much of a massive diff it made I really wanted some for my truck because my lights are really really anemic. I told him I wanted some HID's for my truck and asked...
  21. C

So I was looking at projector setups and the cheapest I could get for my truck was ~$300. I am not hard set on HID's. My old room mate got them and I have driven his car and it was fantastic. That being said, if I can get close in performance for my truck with the silverstars then I am all...
  22. C

Dead Link Removedis the layout of the kit I got. Dead Link Removedis where I purchased it. If there are better options please post them. I am willing to dump about $200 on the lights if it will give me what I need. I would also like fog light recommendations if you have them. I bought...
  23. C

I purchased an HID kit for my 01' sport, but it says on the paperwork that came with it, if you have a 9007 bulb, which is what my truck has, you will not have high beam. Low beam only will be a problem for me as I will be doing a lot of driving in really rural area's where it's truly dark...
  24. C

Saving the rear controls.

I want to change my stereo headset, but everyone is saying I will lose my rear stereo controls. I found this and several like it. It has steering wheel control hook ups. Anyone know if I can save my rear controls with a unit like this, or is it hopeless if I change it? Edit: spelling...
  25. C

I need help replacing the radio in my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

It's painful, you have to pull the grey shell open. It's just held in with some grey plastic holders.
Back