Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Front bumper trim/cover removal (2000)

I've never removed the plastic as you asked, but I HAVE replaced an old (entire) bumper that had spinning bolts... lets see... IIRC the bolts attach to a piece of rectangular metal mounting bracket that slides into the plastic. I think they are normally fixed in place but can come loose/broken...
  2. H

THEFT light on, but no anti-theft or remote unlock installed.

The title says it all, but on rare occasions like today, the "THEFT" light came on solid on my dash. I do not have anti theft or even remote locks! (I even checked for the module in the rear access panel where it would be.) They are electonic of course, but only the door buttons. Everything else...
  3. H

Heater Control Valve 101 Please

Sorry it took me a while to answer your original question :) That's about right, but it could be something else too of course. BTW, you should also be able to push the little lever on the HCV from one position to the other with your finger. I believe there's a spring that makes it default to...
  4. H

New ToughOne Compressor + Dryer + Firestone recharge = Cool not Cold

There hiss is normal for maybe 30 seconds after shutting off. I had never noticed it myself until I recharged my AC, and thought I had a leak somewhere. I didn't. I think its just the evaporator or accumulator boiling off whats left of the liquid R134a. If it was leaking that loud, you'd...
  5. H

Also... I am basing this off you saying its only the passenger side. If you had a partially clogged heater core, then it would make sense if ALL heat dropped when the thermostat opened. The thermostat to radiator hose is much bigger and not related at all to the heater core or HCV
  6. H

well, no the coolant will not push it open. well, should not. that i can tell you from experience. i had an overheating issue. anyway, the valve in (my, at least) heater control valve is not like a flap, it's like a switch. any pressure will go either way through it and doesnt really care if...
  7. H

There's also the option of going back to the people who did your engine and seeing if they can figure out what they messed up. For a job like that a few missed wires happens sometimes. I am guessing you don't want to do that unless you have to though. Did they have the dashboard off at all...
  8. H

Well then, I was suspecting a possible failure of the electronic climate control, and I don't know anything about that. Hopefully someone else might.
  9. H

Just the passenger side? does that model have dual zone climate control? or do you mean it is blowing hot, then gets cold? Does it happen at a time like when you get on the highway and start going faster? That I can't answer You won't feel a vaccum if the heat is in the on position (in...
  10. H

DIY AC recharge or shop?

OK, I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd update on what I did and the results. First, I did get the HFT high vaccum pump. It worked great, but ended up being a waste of time and money in my case. You can see the story explaining why here...
  11. H

My First DIY AC Recharge Story

This is more of a story than instructions, so if you want that look somewhere else. I do not reccommend any procedures that follow, although in the end I was able to finish the job. This post is not intended to express an opinion on what you or anyone else does, or what is right or wrong. I only...
  12. H

New ToughOne Compressor + Dryer + Firestone recharge = Cool not Cold

How much is it supposed to take? check the label under the hood if you dont know. That would suggest if not contaminated, that the temperature of the R134a is about 82F. was the temperature outside rising when you took that measurement? Also, that number is almost useless unless the car has...
  13. H

A/C only blows 60 degrees F.

Welcome to the forum! You should be at about 90 psi when the AC is not running if its 80F outside, assuming your car and refrigerant is also that temperature. You might be low on refrigerant. google "R134a vapor pressure chart". on the other hand, maybe your car was 70F even though outside...
  14. H

DIY AC recharge or shop?

Yeah it is getting old but vehicle only has 131k on it. Anyway, I saw the gauges on sale at harbor freight for $60 so I went ahead and bought them. Assuming I get a new accumulator that's another $40 ish plus fluids. I'm probably not saving much over the shop on this one, but the benefit will...
  15. H

Add fog lights

Factory switch Thanks BigRondo for that writeup! I just did what the OP is asking except on a 96 explorer. Your instructions helped a lot. However, if using the factory fog light switch (at least in 95-01), it works differently than your aftermarket switch and has to be wired differently it...
  16. H

DIY AC recharge or shop?

Thanks everyone. Having tools for the future is nice, and I've built up a set capable of most mechanical work already. Renting or borrowing a vaccum pump is a great idea, even if I have to buy the guages. I really enjoy learning and becoming more capable of doing this stuff myself, and as I...
  17. H

DIY AC recharge or shop?

Thanks, I would be willing to "do it again" but honestly that could be a year, 5 years from now for all I know. I updated that post while you were replying adding that I am considering just the cheap auto parts store charge kit with no evacuation. I'm worried that going that way would be bad for...
  18. H

DIY AC recharge or shop?

96 explorer XLT. I emptied my refrigerant to replace my heater core ( which required removing the evaporator.) So now for about a month its been empty, but not "open" for very long. I capped the tubes for the 3 days I had it disconnected, but for about a month the charge has been empty. The AC...
  19. H

How to: IAC valve cleaning thread (w/pics)

Thank you Wikipedia ;)
  20. H

Replacing Main brake line

And on a side note, you can theoretically run a new front to rear line using the spare brackets before you disconnect the old one. I was going to do that but as I said, I inadvertantly cracked the old line in the process. I had already had a shop replace my front lines before, so it was...
  21. H

I think you are referring to the coiled protective tube around the line. If so, I didn't replace that. For longevity, yeah maybe you should, but in my own case I believe the new lines will outlast almost everything else on the truck at this point so I'm not worried about it. In my case, the...
  22. H

I checked to fitting I have and its a 3/8" - 24. I don't know if the 97 is the same, and you probably have to reuse the fitting on the ABS / proportioning valve, If you are doing that part.
  23. H

rear axle and brake work

I should probably mention that I don't have another car to use while I do this, so that will affect my plans a bit. Well, I've never rebuilt a caliper, and I probably could figure it out but I don't want to make things more complicated if i don't have to. Also I might replace the rotors...
  24. H

1996 Explorer XLT 4.0L cooling system issues.

Just a follow up: I have not really done anything to fix this issue except avoiding using the heater. However, the strange thing is that warmer weather has decreased the overheating! As of now my two main suspects are a partially clogged heater core, and/or a slow or too high temp thermostat...
  25. H

rear axle and brake work

Hi. I am starting to plan a rear axle project on my 96 xlt and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. Here is what I need and want to do: Problems: - right rear caliper has slow leak. - both rear parking brakes seem frozen(will not engage) - differential housing seal is leaking...
Back