Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Searching for 1996 Explorer 2WD Spindles

Those numbers show as fitting a 2000, but not a 1996.. I think they are the same though?
  2. S

Searching for 1996 Explorer 2WD Spindles

Greetings, I am sick to death of replacing wheel bearing on my 1996 Explorer, 2WD 5.0. I have attributed the failures to the spindles themselves being damaged. Long story short, bad wheel bearings spun, and the back mounting surface is not quite even, and one of them has pitting on the...
  3. S

Replacement hub mounting bolts

You can find those easy at the Fastenal site. I order from there all the time. I last ordered Flange bolts and serrated locking nuts from them for my OBS ford radius arm brackets. Perfect.
  4. S

1996 Explorer 5.0 Drivers Side Exhaust Manifold Removal

Do you by chance have a part number?
  5. S

Alright. Front V8 manifold bolt. How to Remove?

Well **** that was easy. Got the manifold out, definitely was the exhaust leak!
  6. S

Well hell. I just got off of work... I'm going to go see!
  7. S

Tighten your caliper bracket bolts!

I went a bit retarded with the Milwaukee Fuel stuff... M12 3 inch compact cut off tool M18 7/14 inch circular saw M12 Stick Light M18 1/2 inch hammer drill M18 Palm Sander M18 1/2 inch Mid-Torque Impact M18 1/2 inch Migh Torque Impact M12 1/4 Impact Driver M12 Hackzall M12 Tire Inflator M12...
  8. S

How do i get the forward most manifold bolt out?!! I cant seem to get a socket on it at all, because the clearance between the back of the compressor bracket and the manifold tube is NON EXISTENT.
  9. S

Wait. That's a heat sheild and NOT the bracket!?? How does that come off?
  10. S

OK, I'm balls deep into my driver's side exhaust manifold replacement on my 96 5.0 2WD. I can't get a socket on the front most manifold bolt to remove it! I've tried everything, even a 1/4 inch drive socket won't clear between the tube and the AC compressor bracket. Can't get a wrench or a...
  11. S

1996 Explorer V8, 2WD intermediate steering shaft.

Greetings, I've read through about all the damn threads on the site about these intermediate shafts, and how when the boots go bad you can get some stiff spots in the steering. I also know that there are ZERO of them out there, and they are discontinued through Ford. Flaming River and...
  12. S

What rear end do i have in my Explorer?

Awesome, this is exactly the information i needed! Thanks!
  13. S

What rear end do i have in my Explorer?

1996 Explorer XLT, RWD, and the 5.0 motor. Automatic transmission. My Axle code is D4, which I know to be a 3.73 limited slip. I have to replace an axle shaft bearing and seal, as well as the pinion seal and likely the outer bearing. I'm trying to order parts, but don't want to run into the...
  14. S

I appreciate that, but at this time I'm not interested in a set of torque monsters. I'm replacing with a stock manifold, as I already have it, and I'm waiting to modify things for when I build another motor for the truck. At that point, I'll be spending the money to modify things.
  15. S

Greetings, I have some general questions about removing the drivers side exhaust manifold, which has cracked. For reference, I have already replaced the passengers side manifold last year, which was a pain in the ass because of the inner collector bolt. From what 'Ive been reading the...
  16. S

2000 Limited seats into a 1996 XLT

To be honest, it would be easier to get a set of aftermarket heating pads and install them in the backs/bottoms of the 96/97 seats, and then run power and ground independently to JUST the heaters (with a switch of course) . I'm still planning on doing that.
  17. S

2000 Limited seats into a 1996 XLT

Hey! Unfortunately, the limited seats and the wiring for them was too big of a hassle. Even adapting the 96 power tracks to the seats was a royal pain in the ass. I ended up finding a replacement set of seats in leather for the 96 in the same style as my old cloth seats. I ended up using...
  18. S

1996 Explorer 5.0, Miss at idle

Back again, raising this from the dead. The Damn miss is still present. I'm swapping plugs AGAIN, I recently ohmed out the wires and they are fine, nothing is arcing. I also swapped in two brand new coil packs, Motorcraft. No effect on the miss. It seems to be more pronounced when the truck...
  19. S

Will these steel wheels work?

Alright, I have a new set of tires on the way, and I'm sick of my torn up 15 inch factory alloys on my 96 explorer. The truck doesn't see offroad conditions much, as its a 2WD V8 I would need something CHEAP, and I saw these on Amazon. Do the specs fit up with what I need...
  20. S

Front ABS Sensor for 1996 2wd.

I've read on other threads they it's possible it was due to Ford changing the PN for the 98+ sensor. Of course, the aftermarket companies get their application guide from the oem, so that's possibly why the newer sensor number doesn't cross to the older application, even if it's the same part...
  21. S

I've looked up both part numbers online, (The 95-97, and 98+) and they are the same length.
  22. S

The part numbers ARE different. However, the sensors are identical, from the mounting tabs to the connectors. My theory was if they mount up and are the same physically as the origonal sensors, they shoild work... they are just simple hall effect sensors.
  23. S

Greetings, I need to replace BOTH front ABS sensors for a 2 wheel drive explorer with the 5.0. I see that rock auto FINALLY lists a front sensor from Standard Motor Products (P/N ALS168) but its almost 80 bucks. I looked at a 2WD 1998, and I see a sensor that PHYSICALLY looks the exact same...
  24. S

Leaking windshield

Thats what Im terrified about. I have the original glass in my 96, it leaks a lot from the top of the windshield... the screwed up part is that its got ZERO rust anywhere. Im hoping when I get the windshield replaced, its not rusted out.
  25. S

FINALLY! The 96 is back on the road!

Whoops, that was me typing it wrong, sorry! I changed out the door yesterday, ad gave it a wash. Good news Is that on Saturday I get my new bulbs for the center stack switches and headlight switch, so I'll post the results when they go in!
Back