Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Contour Starter Replacement

I have a 1999 Ford Contour with a Duratec 2.5L SVI DOHC engine that needs a new starter motor. I've located it on top of the trans but it's stuffed way inside the engine. Does anyone have any tips or the procedure on how to get it out. Anyone out there ever changed the starter with this...
  2. H

Crankshaft harmonic balancer key.

I'm replacing a crankshaft with a reconditioned one. Unfortunately, it reconditioned shaft doesn't have the key for the harmonic balancer just a slot. Are there any tricks to get the key out of the old shaft without beating it to death? Click here for a larger image...
  3. H

Piston Rod Bearings Question

I have a 1997 For Explorer XLT 5.0L EFI 2wd and I have a question about which rod bearings to buy. I know which size to buy (.010 undersized) but I'm not sure which type of bearing to buy. The bearings in the truck have an oil hole (?) but all the bearings I've found including Ford dealership...
  4. H

Confused on Terms

I need to replace the piston rod and main bearings. The crankshaft has previously been ground down .010". When I go online and look up the bearings, they specify them as oversized and undersized. I would think I would need bearings that are .010 oversized but the dealers seem to keep calling...
  5. H

Need Advice on Pulling Engine

My truck is a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L 2wd EFI. I need to put in a new oil pump and new bearings. I need some advice on connecting the chain to pull the engine. I've had the engine out before and I bolted the hoist chain to the block itself. This time I would prefer not to remove the heads...
  6. H

Pulling Engine Need Some Advice

My truck is a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L 2wd EFI. I need to put in a new oil pump and new bearings. I need some advice on connecting the chain to pull the engine. I've had the engine out before and I bolted the hoist chain to the block itself. This time I would prefer not to remove the...
  7. H

Where can I get this vacuum hose.

I broke this vacuum hose. It runs between the EVR and upper intake manifold. It's a 'hard' type of formed vacuum hose. I'm trying to join it back together using a short piece of rubber hose. If anyone one has any ideas how to fix this hose I would appreciate your suggestions. Better yet if...
  8. H

What is this Part?

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L Fuel Injected. The truck had a broken lifter guide retainer spring but I thought it was something more tragic. I was going to pull the engine to get to the oil pan. I pulled the heads off and in one of the heads I found two of these small round "spacer"...
  9. H

Where is the DPFE? 97 Exp XLT 5L CA Emissions

I'm getting a P0401 code and want to replace the DPFE. But I can't find it! There is not a pipe running from either exhaust manifold that would clue me to where it may be. I believe the exhaust is actually directed through the lower intake manifold from ports in the cylinder heads?. I went...
  10. H

Where does this Ground Strap Connect

I forgot where this ground strap connects. '97 Ford Explorer, 5.0L EFI Calif smog. See picture. Many Thanks
  11. H

How do I tell which pistons I have?

I'm going to have the engine in my 5.0L '97 Explorer bored and I need to know what oversized pistons to buy. My Haynes book says the Explorer comes with one of three sizes of pistons: Coded red: 3.9987 - 3.9993 inch Coded blue: 3.9999 - 4.0005 inch Coded yellow: 4.0011 - 4.0017 inch...
  12. H

Where does this Ground Strap go?

I lost the ground strap that goes from the firewall (see picture) to somewhere. I'm going to make one. Does it go to the stud I pointed at in the picture? Also, is that the EGR valve I'm pointing at in the picture. I can't find anything that tells me what that is. Thanks for your help.
  13. H

Blown Head Gasket

First, I am not real experienced at rebuilding engines. I just follow my trusty Haynes book. Truck - '97 Explorer XLT 5.0L EFI 2wd VIN "P" I put in a remanufactured crankshaft kit, new rings and lifters. I started the truck and all seemed well - lots of oil pressure, engine at normal...
  14. H

Glad to be Aboard

I have a '97 XLT that I'm attempting to rebuild the engine. Running into some snags though and hope to get some advice from y'all.
Back