Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

Wheel Well liner Replacement?

Mine ripped too when I was putting plugs in last week....search a while and could not find anything. What worked was to lay the two pieces on the wokr bench, drilled small holes in each piece and use zip ties to sinch them back together.... Pretty??? no......functional, YES...
  2. Z

Am I stupid or what???

The biggest issue is, of course, that the catalytic converter is directly underneath the transmission pan....it concerns me that there is no heat shield on this converter as it is got to be heating up the transmission fluid....
  3. Z

Am I stupid or what???

:roll:Modesty aside, I am a pretty good mechanic. So, I thought it would be a good idea to change the tranny fuild and filter in my "new" 97 Explorer. I loosen the bolts, drain most of the fluid, take out all the bolts, and the dammm pan will not come out of the truck. For over an hour, I...
  4. Z

Solved Why change fuel filter?

Thanks for the tips...I will give it another shot tomorrow....
  5. Z

Lucas Transmission fix, worth it?

I think the Lucas stuff is pretty good...I used thier 85/140 gear oil in the read end and it did help quiet down the rumbling and whining...not totally, but a big improvement. I changed the tranny filter and fluid, so I put in a bottle of Lucas tranny fix just to be on the safe side....really...
  6. Z

Solved Why change fuel filter?

Yikes....I bought a new fuel filter for mine, and tried to change it, but could not get those silly connectors offof the filter...I have the special ford tool to pop it loose, but it just would not budge...then I read in the Haines manual that the fuel filter is set "for the life of the vehicle"...
  7. Z

Rear end whining

U p d a t e ! ! ! I switched the gear oil with Lucas Synthetic 85/140 for three reasons... 1 - I was hoping to do the cheap fix (knowing it was a waste of time) rather than repair the rear end. 2 - The Lucas bottle says it will quiet whining rear ends....did not really believe it 3 -...
  8. Z

Rear end whining

9. Z

Alternative Tire Sizes on Sport?

I am going to the 245 75 16's also....at 60 mph on the speedo, you will be going 60.8 mph...no big deal. I found this size less expensive than the original size....$312 a set shipped from direct tire.com....Wally world will mount and balance for about $40....CANNOT FIND ANYTHING LESS...
  10. Z

explorer frames the same?

Yo gotta love it!!!!!:roll:
  11. Z

Rear end whining

:roll:
  12. Z

Rear end whining

My 97 Sport has a whine in the rear end...ring and pinion I suspect. I changed the rear end oil with Lucas Synthetic 85x140....the original fluid was actually gritty. The new fluid did quiet it down some, but the whine is still there... It seems like this is a common problem with the...
  13. Z

1997 explorer 4.0l sohc

No compression on all cylinders??? or just some.... If it is all cylinders, the valves are hanging open because the timing is way off......bad chain??? If nothing is hitting or making noise, I would start by taking the timing assembly apart to see what is going on....let us know.
  14. Z

97 4.0L sohc no compression

How do you know it has no compression??? Did you do a compression check yourself? If so, did you do it dry and also wet?? That would tell you if the valves or rings are shot....
  15. Z

2001 Explorer - front brakes locked-up after brake pad change

Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure the pads are in correctly??? On some vehicles, pads only fit a certain way and will hang up if reversed....
  16. Z

so tempting...

I was selling an older Dodge truck a few weeks ago....a guy offered what I was asking for it, but wanted to make payments. I said :SURE: The deal is this....make all the payments, and then I will give you the truck, title and keys....he got mad and left...as it should...
  17. Z

I feel so stupid

Me too Do not feel bad...pretty funny since it happened to you, but I have been there more times than I want to admit...ha ha :roll::roll::roll:
  18. Z

QUestion about Longevity of the SOHC motor and Explorers in general..how many miles

Lucas makes a transmission fix lube that is about $10 at Walmart and other auto parts stores..... I have talked to several people who say it works to stop slipping and seals leaks....one guy uses it in newer cars as a preventative maintenance item and swears he got 200,000+ out of every...
  19. Z

QUestion about Longevity of the SOHC motor and Explorers in general..how many miles

I recently purchased my 97 Explorer sport with 149,200 miles on it....it has the SOHC V6 engine. It runs very well and the entire truck is in really nice shape, especially for the age and mileage...obviously it iwas pretty well taken care of. Anyway, I was wondering how long this vehicles...
  20. Z

Keyless Fob Programming help needed...

Yep,,,that's what I am trying to figure....ideas???
  21. Z

I am fairly certain it is correct....the problem is that I cannot get the truck to enter the programming mode by turning the key on and off.
  22. Z

HI I bought a new fob for my 97 explorer and have been trying to program it... I have read all the posts, stickys, etc, and something is not right, but I do not know where to look I've cycled the key 8 times, then ttried 5 times, then tried up to 20 times....the door locks do not cycle...
Back