Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets

Here's that post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2297884#post2297884 I don't have a pic for you, but the stub of that EGR tube has a 90deg turn on the end of it, pointing to the front of the motor. It took me awhile to figure out how to get it out, but if you rotate...
  2. C

SwampFox - the green O-ring is for the EGR tube.
  3. C

Deathscort - replace both upper and lower gaskets. I tried to do just the uppers at first, because I'd never pulled a fuel rail before, but that didn't solve the problem. When I got the lower off I could tell that the seal at one port wasn't sealing anymore. I think I posted in this thread...
  4. C

Intake Manifold Gaskets - P0171-P0174

If the codes don't return, you are lucky! If you only recently bought yours, it may be that the gaskets were changed and not torqued properly.
  5. C

Nope, just the flexible gaskets go into the grooves in the plenum. The paper/fiber gasket goes between the fuel rail (aluminum, mates with the plenum, holds the injectors) and the intake manifold. You remove the studs with a Torx socket to release the fuel rail. See my earlier comments on...
  6. C

Dome light staying on when door is closed

They're replaceable, but given the choice between buying the switch and then tearing the door apart to swap it out vs. a short spraying with WD40... As an experiment I tried the same approach on my turn signal switch a couple wks ago - it's acted erratic/sluggish/nonfunctional in cold weather...
  7. C

Dome light staying on when door is closed

WD40 worked for me six yrs ago, and I haven't had to repeat it.
  8. C

Click the link above that I posted on 11-02. Read all! If you wind up changing your intake gaskets both above and below the fuel rail, I'll be interested to know if you need the gasket set that FelPro specifies for '96-7 engines, or if you wind up needing the set for 98-01, like I did on my...
  9. C

Mission accomplished, and Oh, does it run sweet now!! :D (It did run a bit rough at first until the computer reset itself.) I'd thought it was still running OK before doing this, despite the check engine light, but it clearly hadn't been. I was really worried that something would go...
  10. C

Go here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171819
  11. C

I think some of the confusion over all this is FelPro's fault, at least with '97's. I bought my '97 Ranger new (build date 4/97), it only has 31K on it now, and nobody works on it but me, so there is no question that what I found was anything but original. I replaced the upper gaskets several...
  12. C

Never mind - I figured it out!! The EGR tube hooks toward the front of the truck, so you have to pivot the manifold to get it free. Great, now I can go forward. But at least I found this forum and am happy to be signed on.
  13. C

I'm trying to change the upper manifold gaskets on my '97 Ranger 4.0 and found this thread. I have all disconnected except that I can't get the @#$% EGR tube out of the manifold. Haynes doesn't even mention this!! I've seen some posts that get close to this question on this thread, but I...
Back