Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Clicking sound from under vehicle (97 5.0 AWD)

I removed my front driveshaft back in October awaiting the chance to rebuild the transfer case. Isnt' there a rebuild kit out there for a reasonable price? I also noticed the X doesn't bind up like it use to when you turn. When I rebuild the TC, I'm going to make sure it works properly and...
  2. O

Clicking sound from under vehicle (97 5.0 AWD)

I just replaced my front driveshaft w/ a new one from ford. Got in the X and drove it and I'm still getting the clicking/clunking (metal on metal) noise. A little history. This has been a progressive noise over the last month and a half. It started off as a slight single clunk only under...
  3. O

Most common front end problems?

After ruling out some of the other items, such as CV shaft, tie rod end (excluding the turning issue), ball joints and control arm bolts, I think the problem is coming from the front driveshaft. That being the case, wouldn't bad U-joints cause this to occur? Could anyone with an AWD X see if...
  4. O

There isn't any noise on braking or deceleration. I did check the ball joints and both appear to have no play. I'm going to pull the wheel off tomorrow and recheck them more closely.
  5. O

I suppose I was too specific in my last post as to not receive any responses regarding my 97 X 5.0 AWD. Problem: I've had a clunking noise from the front end for approximately 6 weeks. I've done a search on the board and found some people have issues with the inner tie-rod rubbing. I...
  6. O

Weird noises......AWD front driveshaft questions?

I've been getting a progressive clunking from the front of my 97 AWD X for the past month or so. I've since found one of the problems which turned out to be a loose bolt & nut on the (rear attachment) of the upper driverside control arm. Now that this is tightened properly, I've ruled out the...
  7. O

Possibly selling the X

The 99 Limited is through a private party seller and is listed a ~$14,000. I think I could get him down to around $13K.
  8. O

Possibly selling the X

I may be in the market to sell my 97 AWD V8 explorer and purchasing a 99 Limited V8. My 97 is dark blue w/ titanium below the door moldings. It has 97 K miles, w/ all the standard options including leather, tow package, running boards, etc... I replaced all the front coolant hoses (including...
  9. O

New Tips for coolant hose replacement.

Allen head type. Everyplace carried 10mm but never the 12mm. Autozone happened to carry the 12, 15 & 17mm in a three pack. Thanks.
  10. O

New Tips for coolant hose replacement.

I have a 97 X V8 w/ that just clicked 90K miles. I've had this pesky coolant leak for a while, but just couldn't determine its origination point. While in VA it got a little worse so I tightened a couple clamps on the suspect hoses and it went away (temporarily). Now four day's ago (nearly...
  11. O

Coolant leaks everywhere?

I can see where most are coming from and you are correct a pressure test would isolate them.
  12. O

Coolant leaks everywhere?

I can't quite figue out where they are coming from. It looks like two originate from the oil cooler. Also, two from the water pump. Does anyone have a diagram/picture of the 96+ 5.0 engine detailing all the coolant lines. Thanks.
  13. O

Class 3 hitch

Will a 91-94 Explorer hitch fit on a 97? I may have access to one and was just curious before I purchased it. If not, where do you recommend getting one for a reasonable price? Thanks in advance.
  14. O

Tranny fluid and various mod questions

Robert, Is there anyway to clean the valve/check it to be certain. Perhaps blow through it like the pcv valve? I assume I have to remove the spare tire for this? Thank you
  15. O

Tranny fluid and various mod questions

I'm planning a trip to VA for the holidays and would like to make sure everything is up to par on the 97 X I purchased in September. Is it possible to change the tranny fluid myself like on the 94-95 V8 mustangs which includes draining the torque converter? What fluid do you'll recommend? I...
  16. O

New to the Board, have a few ?'s

I haven't had a chance to pull mine off and replace it with the Mustang wheel. School has been extremely busy this semester. As soon as I find out something I'll let you know. Maybe I can get it done tomorrow.
  17. O

Cooling Fan.

I'm going to try and locate a 94+ Mustang fan w/ shroud to transpant into the Explorer. In addition to wiring up the relays, I will also have to put a trip wire for when the A/C compressor engages. It shouldn't be too difficult as I did this on my previous 85 SVO. I will also have to pull the...
  18. O

Cooling Fan.

Has anyone ever removed the factory fan & fan clutch to install an electric cooling fan. Perhaps out of a 94+ Mustangs. All that would be needed is two 30 amp relays, a temp switch and possibly a toggle for manual control. Just wanted to know your thoughts. There would also be some improved...
  19. O

Steering wheel Well this weekend I'm going to attempt to install a 94-98 Mustang GT steering wheel in the Explorer. From the looks of the steering wheel everything should transfer over. Hopefully the airbag is a direct fit. I'll let you'll know. I may be able to get a hold of a few leather...
  20. O

I haven't completed a tank of gas yet. I'll let you know next week. I will put the headers and k&n on my list of mods. Thanks for the info.
  21. O

I appreciate all the suggestions and quick responses. For those who replaced their headers w/ the SVO style headers, did you notice any improvement in power or throttle response? What kind of gas mileage should I expect? Is there anything I can do to improve on the mileage besides the K&N...
  22. O

I just purchased a 97 Explorer V8 AWD w/ 77K miles. Everything appears in order and in good shape. There is an adequate amount of power vs. my old 91 explorer. There are a few minor details that I would like to address and get feedback. First, I need to replace the steering wheel and was...
Back