Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

engine swap bay area

i want to rebuild or swap the 4.0L motor in my 99 ranger, but this is more than i can handle myself shop-wise and experience-wise. does anyone know someone good in the bay area i can work with? i'm on the peninsula. thanks, -SM-
  2. S

advice on hurtin' 4.0L

nothing firm. there are merc or VW turbo in the 3.0L size. i think recent vintage both have more torque than the 4.0L, and about the same HP. -SM-
  3. S

advice on hurtin' 4.0L

i've got a 99 ranger 4x4, w/ a 4.0L. several years back i loaned it out, and it overheated. cracked head. i replaced the heads w/ some remanned jobs. for my trouble, i got a cracked piston ring in cylinder 6. i knew it was possible, but figured it wasn't likely. anyhow, i finally...
  4. S

source for sohc cylinder head

thanks, i hadn't seen them yet, and they look like a good option. i guess i'm looking more for recommendations than a random google draw. hardened valve seats? valve guides? what do they use for seals? how much material will they remove and still sell it? etc. if i'm going through this...
  5. S

source for sohc cylinder head

looks like i've got a cracked head on my 4.0L SOHC. right passenger side. local guy here that does machining says this side commonly goes. poking around i see a fair sampling of OHV heads for sale, but SOHC are hard to come by. is there a reputable source for these online, or am i forced...
  6. S

freeze plugs

thanks, i believe there are also 1 or 2 on the rear of the block. these are much harder to see.
  7. S

freeze plugs

does anyone have a diagram w/ the location of the freeze plugs for a 99 4.0L? i have the Haynes manual, but can't find the info. i've got a coolant leak, and i'm having a devil of a time locating the source. -SM-
  8. S

noise suppression capacitor

i used to have a rat living on my engine. yes, i used to have a rat living on the top of my engine. it chewed through the wire connecting one of the radio capacitors to the ignition coil. i'm having trouble finding a replacement through the web. the part is F67F 18801 BA. here is...
  9. S

Intake manifold question.

thanks for the tip. it's been running lean, which i assumed was due to the overheating, but i'll check the fuel rail. i don't think there's much more i can do until i take the head off. are there recommendations for web order for parts? most of the auto shops here are crap.
  10. S

thanks, i already started a duplicate thread in the ranger section after realizing i screwed it up w/ my first post. guess i've managed to bodger it pretty good. -SM-
  11. S

thanks for the help. since the leak is external, and i don't see coolant in the oil, i don't think the head gasket is blown. i was thinking that when the engine overheats it boils off some coolant, and this has to escape somewhere. i thought the manifold was factory sealed, hence my...
  12. S

intake manifold question reposting a question from the new users forum here. still finding my way around the site. i have a coolant leak coming down the right side of the engine. i've assumed this is due to the intake manifold gasket. when i get the top off, i'm planning to replace as much...
  13. S

hello, i have a 99 ranger XLT 4x4, which is getting to the age it needs some TLC. i'm planning to ride it into the ground, for reasons that are probably obvious to this group. i'm no super-mechanic, but i do know how to shear the top off a bolt and recover;) i've browsed this forum many...
Back