Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Engine Interchanges

2005 4.0 MOTOR OUT OF 2005 FORD RANGER COMPLETE WITH HARNESS AND ALL ACCESSORIES. Would this engine drop into a 97 Exp w/4.0 OHV auto trans w/overdrive? What mods would need to be done? Are there kits to do it?
  2. S

Head Gasket change on '93 Ranger 4 liter 4wd automatic

hiya, I'm responding to an old posting... I live in Phx and have my heads off my 07 expl 4.0 They are 95TMs I bought from a place in Ca last year, used the old head bolts and ran water for coolant til I clogged my thermostat. Dr head is visibly warped and cracked between the water and oil...
  3. S

How to tell what series of heads from vin number?

Yeah, Just one more example of someone who's not a mechanic per se, thinking they have got what it takes and flubbing the result. The transmission threads are rife with cases where the problems are either caused by or exacerbated by inept attempts at repair. All the more reason why...
  4. S

torquing [sic] from the Latin word torquēre (to twist) My sister asked her husband (a right side engine wrench on a Nitro pro dragster) what it meant. He said: " Well, honey.""You know how when I get up in the morning with a "Pisson" and when I bend it down to hit the bucket my feet fly out...
  5. S

Ah, there you go. If I had had the sense (and the resources) to get the head bolts I would have done it up properly. So TTY, your post which describes a head bolt which actually stretched too easily or continued to turn easily past the spec point - I can't recall, I think it was like 125 ft...
  6. S

Thanks, torqueing the intake etc at the same time is defintely important as it changes everything if not done in the correct sequence. I didn't use the chilton. I used the big green ones at the libraryt I think they were mitchell or something and I looked at the alldata ones but only prited...
  7. S

I bought my last heads from a place in ca. they looked like factory heads and they said they were and that they were getting them from china. I think I paid 192 each built. Where did you get yours? was it like cylinder head exchange or something? I can't remember and the paperwork got lost in...
  8. S

I had that same experience with one of the bolts and being a half-wit. I simply forged ahead. Now I have to do it over. I bet when I get it apart, it is that bolt that is closest to the breach. Hope the head isn't warped or cracked. I think I remember putting a dob of loctite in the torx head...
  9. S

YOu're right, just the o-rings. AZ has a way with rubber products due to the extreme dryness and heat. Would you recommend changing those orings while its apart on an az 97 with 140k on it or don't fix it if it isn't broken?
  10. S

When I bought my gasket set(I forget where I got it) It had injector parts in it. I didn't do anything with them, but rebuilding them didn't look too complicated. Are there any special considerations or caveats to pay special attention to when rebuilding injectors? Other than incredible...
  11. S

I agree that the head bolts may very well be the reason I am doing it over. What irks me is that the sources from which I got the install instructions (3 different - purportedly professional - sources) did not mention torqueing to "yield", only listed the foot pounds of torque. Are there any...
  12. S

What are the possible consequences from re using the head bolts We are "supposed" to replace? If I did the heads last year and didn't replace them, should I take it more seriously the second time around? How ""stretched can they get and still function correctly?
  13. S

I forgot to add...Thank you Maniak! Without resources such as yourself, I would be committing the same faux pas in a few days when I rebuild. To what extent must I go to be certain that all the water is out of the oil galleries? I can't simply change the oil and expect the hydrolized clots to...
  14. S

I rebuilt this top end last year. I noticed when I torqued the head bolts that when they got to spec, they seemed to get a feel like when you are about to snap off a bolt you are tightening - the stretching feel followed by hardening and snappig if you continue to turn the bolt even a few more...
  15. S

buying heads new VS used

Thanks for the advice. These heads I found are 100 miles away/$125/pix sent didn't show face(no look at the valves,etc.)Can't afford to waste a trip to look at the wrong heads, but can't afford to miss an opportunity for an affordable rebuild///Is that an oxymoron?
  16. S

will the heads from a 4.0 mustang bolt to a 97 4.0 explorer?
  17. S

buying heads new VS used

I have water in the oil after a stuck thermostat and a non functioning temp sending unit. I found a set of heads from a mustang 4.0? What is a normal price and process for a machine shop to check them for me? What do i ask for and what do I NOT want? I just wish to know if they will be ok, I...
  18. S

what is "torque to yield"? Is this different than other typical torque -ing processes?
  19. S

Driver door stuck shut

LOL My wife climbed over the seat until now I need a new console lid!
  20. S

Driver door stuck shut

Ha ha Yeah, I bought an assortment pack from checker for 5 bucks and none were even close. I called the dealership and they quoted me like 12 apiece about 2 years ago, which was why I was looking elsewhere. I though maybe looking into carb linkage clips etc, or some aftermarket catalog with a...
  21. S

Driver door stuck shut

My wife won't drive the truck until I fix it because she is afraid that if the truck caught on fire she wouldn't be able to get out quickly enough. If replacing the plastic lips and return spring won't do it, then I really don't know what to do except dismantle the latch itself looking for an...
  22. S

Driver door stuck shut

I think that when I buy a new latch, I will take the old one apart to see what it might be and post the results. It is a very common problem. Between 5 explorers in my apt complex, there a 6 broken latches!
  23. S

Driver door stuck shut

Only thing I can think of is maybe the latch is out of adjustment at the striker post or something so that when the door shuts it puts a bind on the latch, because as you know, there isn't really anything else in there that it can be pushing on when you put pressure on the door or handle. It...
  24. S

Driver door stuck shut

what is it that pressing on the skin and handle does? It it shortening a rod that has stretched or something? MIne finally broke both the return spring and the rear arm of the outside door pull, but it was opening by that method for a long time before those were broken.
  25. S

Driver door stuck shut

My rear dr door stuck shut. The panel is off, the window track off, all the pulls are off the latch and when I move the leverss on the latch mechanism nothing happens. I fear that the child lock is activated and I have no idea how to release it from the inside of the door yet. Any suggestions...
Back