Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Heater Fan Resistor Pack

Check your relay that supplies power to the resistor. Located behind passenger side headlight in a long narrow box mounted along side of the engine. My ground wire wiggled itself loose and was supplying intermittent power to the motor. Pull the relays and look for burnt spots on the prongs...
  2. K

Dump the Explorer or Replace Engine?

I would talk to a local mechanic and drop a used motor in it. Should be a lot less than $4K.
  3. K

Front driveshaft removal?? Grrr!!

2 X 4 and a hammer did the trick for me. Other than some corrosion, there shouldn't be anything in the way. Make sure you dropped all the bolts all the way around. I find it easier to get out if you have the front section removed at the diff first.
  4. K

P0430 code

From what I have gathered, that code is for bank 2 drivers side. P0420 is Bank 1 passenger side. I've got the same code.
  5. K

Rear Brake Advise?

Be sure to have a helper available on this. That top spring is a royal ***** to get back on. You'll need a set of angled needle nose pliers to get that back together. If you are leaving your axles on, you'll definitely need some patience with this job. Be sure to release the tension on the...
  6. K

Has the 2011 Ex hit dealer lots yet?

Typically the larger volume dealers that maintain the highest customer service scores are in line to get the first batches. A friend of mine at Ford just did a national search for them and it appears that Sheehy Ford in Springfield, VA is the only dealer listed with one en route so far. It will...
  7. K

To get up to the minute availability in your area you can check here and just plug in your zip code. http://www.inventory.ford.com/2011-Ford-Explorer#page=/ChooseYourPath/
  8. K

How To: Troubleshoot 1997 V8 Blower motor

Excellent write up. May I add that using the multimeter to confirm voltage (when battery is still connected) at the blower plug is also a good idea. Then check continuity at the plug. Also as a quick check, you can run power to the blower motor from the battery and ground to the car to see if...
  9. K

Help...i'm freezing here!!!!!

Thanks so much in any regard. Had some time today and figured I'd put the new multimeter to thorough use and pinpoint. I'm sure it will be helpful to others as this seems fairly common. Your efforts I am sure will not be in vain.
  10. K

Issue resolved. The ground wire in the "relay box 2" dropped out of the bottom. I had to crack the case open, push the wire back up and connected the relay and I now have flowing air. That's two days of my life I wish I had back. But I have heat. Yay!
  11. K

96 Fog Light Mod

I didn't pick up anything special, they were on the shelf at the local parts store and most closely matched the stock size and shape. I forget what brand they are, nothing like PIAA or anything like that. Not even sure they will last. The whole kit was $20 and I figured for $20 it was worth the...
  12. K

Rear Brake Advise?

The rears are pretty easy. Just two bolts like the front. Pads are a bit different in that they have clips on them. The biggest pain is if the parking brake is shot and falls apart when taking the rotor off. The parking brake is a royal PITA to replace because of the way the springs are designed...
  13. K

Kinda silly that the Taurus and Flex are getting V6 EcoBoost but not the new Explorer. Will be interesting to see how the 4 Cyl. Ecoboost performs.
  14. K

04 Explorer, recently serviced, loud hum..transmission?

Do all of your tires match and have even tread wear?
  15. K

Thanks a bunch. I have noticed that there were significant changes year over year. User Turdle and some others posted a lot of details, schematics and scans from the owner manual but nothing matches up with my 97. There are many references to that box and it being an area to troubleshoot when...
  16. K

96 Fog Light Mod

Actually wasn't my original post, but I did post elsewhere. I will be curious to see what your findings are as I am very interested in this Mod. My sister's 99 Eddie Bauer has it factory as did my former F-150, my 97 Mounty only works with the low beams. I just replaced my fog lights with some...
  17. K

Does anyone know if there is a post with a photo or schematic of the layout of this under hood relay box next to the air box with descriptions of each relay's purpose? I've been looking for hours and can find fuse diagrams, the main high voltage box diagram, the under dash relays but nothing on...
  18. K

96 Fog Light Mod

Texyank- Thanks for posting that link, very helpful and looks like an easy project. Do you happen to know if the brown parking light wire that is referenced is in that junction box or is it the physical brown wire on the parking lamp in the headlight assembly? Since the directions say to add...
  19. K

I am having a similar problem and scratching my head. Both fuses are fine, 0 Ohms when tested. Getting 12.5 Volts at #6 fuse inside truck Getting 2.5 Ohms at #9 fuse in main box under hood Have 12.5 Volts at switch for fan speed Have ground 0 Ohms at relay and relay tests fine at 87 and...
  20. K

Heater Fan Resistor Pack

I did not. My manual shows a fuse is the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash by the door as well as the main box under hood on drivers side. Also showing a relay in a junction box behind passenger headlight under hood (this is where the clicking is coming from). I have never seen fuses...
  21. K

Heater Fan Resistor Pack

Was curious if anyone could shed some light on a blower issue I am having myself. I do not have a wire tester/voltage meter. 1) New blower motor and resistor and relay installed 2) Blower works off battery 3) Blower does not work otherwise. 4) When cycling switch (I have manual...
  22. K

No heat

I am most familiar with second generation Explorer's but here is where I would look: 1) Make sure the blend door is operating. Simply listen behind the glove box as you dial the switch between settings (i.e. floor, face, defrost, etc.) 2) Ensure the rotary switch is in fact properly...
  23. K

No heat

Have you checked to see if the blend door is stuck?
  24. K

Thumping feeling, tire? speed sensor?

Yes definitely follow the connectors in from the hubs and make sure the are in fact connected and/or not worn through. Since your 4WD is automatically controlled, I am assuming you have the "auto 4 X 4" as the default switch and then your 4 High and 4 Low options, shutting the engine down...
  25. K

Will not go into gear.

Sounds like it is a slave cylinder issue to me as well.
Back