Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Progress on the 2002 Explorer Sport Trac

‘03 has analog dash as well. ‘04 is when they changed.
  2. H

Need letonneau cover cable kit part # 1L5Z-99286B60-AA for OEM cover

The black plastic piece is not designed to be removable without destroying the retaining clips. I’ve disassembled a few and haven’t come up with a good removal system that saves them. The service manual says to replace with new if they have to be removed.
  3. H

2001-2003 Sport Radio Wiring Pinout

2001-2003 stereo wiring question. I’ve read the thread with the diagrams but my Sports don’t match the pin out for the base radio shown in those diagrams. On mine the #1 pin on connector C256 is blue with a red stripe but the diagrams say it should be red with a black stripe and the 99 radio is...
  4. H

Rear Disc Brake Conversion on 2002

Okay, I searched and read every thread on rear disc brakes that came up in search but couldn’t find any discussions that told me enough to make me feel comfortable. Background: I had an 02 Sport 5 speed that I have lovingly cared for and rebuilt over and over. A lady turned left in front of me...
  5. H

Inadvertent Air Bag Deployment

I have to say that is a horrible thing to have happen but I can also say that I would have expected no different response from Ford. I used to be a Ford tech and the minute you change anything you have the potential of causing problems. If Ford paid on them they would be bankrupt. It is very...
  6. H

who has trailered (towed) a car with there Explorer?

Thats just a cheap fix. The better fix that many people with a Sport use is to put 4 door springs on it. The Sport springs are just too light. Hawkrod
  7. H

Yup, looks like your right, the book has two ratings and I missed that. It has a combined gross rating and trailer gross rating. Oh well, she did fine. Hawkrod
  8. H

My record was an 1800 pound car trailer with a 67 Ford F250 on it! The truck weighs 4500+! According to the manual my Explorer has a 7500 capacity (2002 Sport with a stick) so I was close to capacity but she did just fine. It sat awful low in the back though! LOL Gonna have to get some 4 door...
  9. H

Rear-end went very bad

I feel the need to pipe in here because I feel there is a lot of lack of knowledge and misunderstanding here. First off, I found this forum due to this very same issue just about two months ago. My dealership wanted $1600 for a rear overhaul and I knew that was too much. I did not come here...
  10. H

8.8 31-28 spline part interchange

As I noted above, it won't work because the hole in the side of the case is too small. You can put 28 spline gears in a 31 spline case as the hole is bigger so the axle with fit through the hole but if you put a 31 spline gear in a 28 spline case the hole in the case will be smaller than the...
  11. H

8.8 31-28 spline part interchange

Just to elaborate, it will not work because the hole in the side of the case is machined to support the axle slightly (it does not actually ride there but it can if there is axle load). You can install 28 spline side gears in a 31 spline case but the side gears tend to wear out faster due to the...
  12. H

Tow Hook Bolt Size

I bought the tow hooks for resale. I get $40 a pair including shipping in the US (they are heavy!). I have owned a vintage auto parts business for more than 25 years but because I have an Explorer I am starting to sell stuff related to it as I find them. On eBay I am tcherry3. I have thousands...
  13. H

Tow Hook Bolt Size

I can't speak to 05's specifically but the 01-03 are 15mm for sure. I took 7 pairs off this week! The 15mm and 18mm are must have tools for a newer Explorer as are 5mm, 5.5mm and 7mm. Hawkrod Click on picture for larger image:
  14. H

Another 2WD to 4X4 question but different than most already asked

Okay, I have been using the search function diligintly and have learned just enough to be a danger to myself! I have a 2002 Sport with a 4.0 and a Mazda M5OD-R1HD (at least I think that is what I have from what I have read! LOL). From other things I have read, I have gleaned that I could...
Back