Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 429CJ-3X2

'02 Sport Trac Upper control arm, cam bolts, inner and outer tie rods - tips

I bought my '02 ST at the end of 2012 with 63,850 miles on it. I've put just short of 70,000 miles on it since. The steering has always been quick and tight despite zero maintenance. I bought new tires a year and a half ago and didn't take care of the obvious camber issue on the right side. As a...
  2. 429CJ-3X2

And yet another intermittent no crank no start - solved

I'm already dealing with my '04 Sport Trac that won't start, now my son's '97 Mountaineer, 5.0 2WD, intermittently won't crank - just clicks at the fender mounted relay/solenoid. It will start right up with a boost from his portable booster. The battery and neg cable end were replaced in...
  3. 429CJ-3X2

2004 ST Intermittent no crank - SOLVED!

2004 Sport Trac - my daughter's driving it while her Kia is in the shop. This morning she made a stop on her way to work and the truck wouldn't restart. The relay clicks, but it wouldn't turn over. The battery has occasionally shown signs of needing to be replaced. It's almost 5 years old. I...
  4. 429CJ-3X2

New YouTube Video

The guys are more enthusiastic than knowledgeable, but it's worth a watch.
  5. 429CJ-3X2

Close call, and then it snowed!

Wife and I made another 4 day trip from Des Moines to Columbus, Ohio, Wednesday thru Saturday in the '02 Sport Trac. Beautiful weather on the way out, not so much on the way home Friday. Had a stiff tailwind all day Thursday and managed a fraction short of 20 mpg. All was going well until the...
  6. 429CJ-3X2

Front window comes out of vertical channel - solved

I searched through 14 pages and didn't find a thread addressing this problem. '97 Mountaineer - My son rolled his driver's window down to clear the water off it before leaving for work yesterday. The window got stuck 1/2 way down. When I took the door panel off, I found the window was out of the...
  7. 429CJ-3X2

Solved 2004 Sport Trac No 4WD High, but low works

I searched about 4 pages on this topic, but didn't find a good answer. After I bought this '04 ST in August, I tested 4WD once in the back yard. It didn't go into 4WD the first time, but eventually did as evidenced by the way it steered going back around to the driveway. We got about 10" of...
  8. 429CJ-3X2

2001 TO 2004 PATS and key swap

I think I know the answer to this, but I want to confirm before diving in. I just bought a 2004 Sport Trac to replace the 2001 with the bad engine. I only got 1 key with the new truck. It appears to be a factory key. I went to ACE Hardware to get another key made. When they tried to program the...
  9. 429CJ-3X2

Which one to buy?

This is something of a hypothetical question at this point because I haven't looked at either truck or cleared it with my wife. We were looking for another 4WD last winter before her health took a dive. I'm looking to replace my '01 Sport Trac that the timing components killed last fall. As I...
  10. 429CJ-3X2

Sport Trac floor mat ?

How many versions of the carpet Sport Trac floor mats were there? I have a pair that I think came from a 2002 ST. They're a darker gray and read, "Explorer Sport Trac". Yesterday I took both fronts and 1 rear from an early '04 (Aug '03 build date). Those are a lighter gray and read "Sport...
  11. 429CJ-3X2

Different question about seat foam swap

I've swapped the bottom seat foam from passenger side to driver's side several times, so I know the ins and outs of it. I need to do this again, and have several seats to swap the foam from, but on the 1 seat I looked at today, the wires under the foam have already started cutting into the foam...
  12. 429CJ-3X2

Ever drop a tool where you couldn't find it?

We've probably all dropped tools and had trouble finding them. Last week I started taking off the valve cover I put on my '01 Sport Trac just before it quit running for possible use on my '02. In the process, I dropped my 1/4 swivel extension. I didn't think it sounded like it fell all the way...
  13. 429CJ-3X2

Air shocks or coilovers - pros and cons?

I've run air shocks on my 2002 Sport Trac since 2014. The Monroes lasted about a year, which was in line with my prior experience with Monroe. I replaced them with Gabriel Hijackers. Didn't know they were available, or I wouldn't have bought the Monroes. My experience with both brands on several...
  14. 429CJ-3X2

Cooper Discoverer Enduramax

The Goodyear Wrangler SRAs on my 2002 Sport Trac finally wore out after 9 years - 7 years of full time use - and just shy of 50,000 miles. They took me everywhere I wanted to go (on the road). 12" of snow, no problem. Packed snow/ice, not an issue either. I was bummed that they're no longer...
  15. 429CJ-3X2

'01 Sport Trac RIP?

I think my '01 ST became a parts truck yesterday. Yeah, this one.. Valve cover bolt rounded off. I've owned the truck 8 1/2 years putting about 45,000 miles on it (just short of 189,000 now), and this engine has long made extra noises - and I don't mean the exhaust. When I started it after...
  16. 429CJ-3X2

3 1st Gen Sport Tracs at Wrench N Go salvage yard in Des Moines

Wrench-N-Go salvage yard in Des Moines, IA, has 2 '01 Sport Tracs and an '03. Also an '01 Sport. The '01 STs are both Job 1s. One has aftermarket chrome step bars. One has a 1 piece dark blue fiber glass cover. One has a retractable cover, which is locked. The 3rd has a factory cover, which is...
  17. 429CJ-3X2

Valve cover bolt rounded off

2001 Sport Trac Job 2 4.0 SOHC - Driver's side valve cover has been leaking oil for a long time (years). It's gotten so bad I've pretty much stopped driving the truck. Went to change the gasket today, and everything came apart without trouble except the upper rear valve cover bolt. Again...
  18. 429CJ-3X2

Trying to register in Forscan forum

I'm trying to register in the Forscan forum, which is necessary to use Forscan, right? I have the free 2 month trial version registered, but to join the Forscan forum, it asks for an invitation code. What is it, and where do I get it?
  19. 429CJ-3X2

No dash lights, chime or taillights, but other lights work

'97 Mountaineer - No dash lights, chime or taillights, but dome light, headlights, and brake lights and turn signals work. Ideas?
  20. 429CJ-3X2

Can the factory bed cover latches be released manually?

'02 Sport Trac in the salvage yard has a factory bed cover. The cover itself is only so-so, and I don't need it, but I'd like to get it open and get the brackets even if I don't buy the cover. The original cables have been replaced with cords, but pulling on the cords isn't releasing the...
  21. 429CJ-3X2

Odd intermittent brake problem - SOLVED!

Roughly 6 months ago I was driving my '02 Sport Trac (114,000 miles) and as I braked at a stoplight, the brake pedal went almost to the floor. No warning at all. The brakes felt entirely normal on the drive to work and up to this point on this trip. I stopped and put some brake fluid in - it was...
  22. 429CJ-3X2

Replaced my cracked fan

Last week I noticed how badly cracked the fan in my '02 Sport Trac was, and parked it until I could get a new fan. It was bad. One or two of the cracks went almost all the way across the flat hub portion, and one was all the way through for about a half inch. A new Motorcraft fan is $147 at...
  23. 429CJ-3X2

5 Speed manual 2wd '02 Sport Trac in salvage yard

Wrench N Go in Des Moines, Iowa has a 2002 Sport Trac 2WD with a manual transmission in their salvage yard. Drivetrain looks to be intact.
  24. 429CJ-3X2

Salvage alert

Wrench-N-Go in Des Moines, Ia, has a '92 Explorer with a beautiful red cloth interior. The body is rusty as would be expected on anything 30 years old in Iowa, but the red interior - seats, carpet, etc - looks like new. Not even a heel depression at the accelerator. The brake pad is gone, so...
  25. 429CJ-3X2

'97 Mountaineer pulley failure related questions

My son was driving his '97 Mountaineer 5.0 today when the lower idler pulley failed - the grooved one below the tensioner. It's been chirping for a long time, but seemed to lessen as the engine warmed up and I hadn't figured out which pulley was making the noise. I know now! The outer part of...
Back