Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Coolant issues just baffled an dumbfounded (SOLVED , its fords fault)

Going to throw in a vote for the Simmons aluminum t-stat housing; nicely made, one piece, and they shipped it really fast.
  2. J

Coolant issues just baffled an dumbfounded (SOLVED , its fords fault)

The second Ford OEM housing on mine (new gaskets/orings and thermostat also) has probably 10-15k on it and appears to have a small leak at the seams again. The top of the housing where the thermostat sits appears to be warped and doesn't sit completely flush to the body of the housing. Never...
  3. J

2003 4.0L timing chain balance shaft question

To confirm, it looks like '02-up 4.0 SOHC Explorers all had balance shafts, regardless of whether they were 2 or 4wd. My 2wd 2003 has one and this information is confirmed in the literature that came with my Ford tensioner service kit. Oddly, the printed factory service manual and most online...
  4. J

4.0 SOHC w/engine oil cooler...filter stud torque?

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't look like the spec I'm looking for is in there, though. The bolt referred to in there I think is the bolt that goes from adapter to the block. I need the spec that goes from the filter stud to the adapter.
  5. J

Front Passenger Seat Does Not Move Up or Down

I'm not aware of a way to manually bring it down.
  6. J

Not hard to replace at all. If I remember right, I paid about 200 bucks for it.
  7. J

Watching....I'm about to replace a second seat platform after the original on the driver's side stopped going up and down and its junkyard replacement went about a year before it too failed.
  8. J

4.0 SOHC w/engine oil cooler...filter stud torque?

In the middle of the timing chain guide/tensioner and engine reseal job on our '03 and can't seem to find the torque spec for the oil filter stud that goes through the oil cooler and into the filter adapter. Doesn't seem to be in the factory shop manual either (which itself is proving to be...
  9. J

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Just turned 367k...original bottom end, head gaskets done once, on her third transmission.
  10. J

EATC button illumination challenge

Going to give this a try, as I have more than a couple of these burnt out. Thanks for the write-up!
  11. J

95tm aftermarket heads....

Thanks for the reply. As it turns out, EQ no longer services the large port heads. Guess the only alternative now is to just open up the small port heads. Didn't get a reply from them as far as there being enough material in the casting to actually do this, so I'd appreciate input from anyone...
  12. J

95tm aftermarket heads....

I think the valve cover rails on my heads might be cracked, since I'm getting a very slow leak that tends to pool on the bottom rearmost exhaust manifold bolt head. Valve cover gaskets are brand new OEM and I'm positive it's not leaking from there or the lower intake. Looking at patching with...
  13. J

Intermittent DTC 647...incorrect third gear ratio.

Yeah, the throttle position sensor. And I regret to say it didn't fix the problem. Once the drive cycle is completed, it will eventually start throwing the code again. Going to try the recalibrated pcm next.
  14. J

is it possible to get an air bubble in the trans?

Having recently changed the filter/fluid in my parents' '03, I would suggest making sure the trans. is thoroughly warmed up in order to get an accurate reading on the fluid level. Upon scouring the multitude of threads here on getting the level correct, I noticed that a lot of posts mentioned...
  15. J

Bringing this back up because I think I might have fixed it, or at the very least eliminated some of the shifting weirdness the truck's had for awhile. First off, thanks for the tsb info, swetrid. Replacing the pcm will be the next thing I do if this isn't the fix. Basically, I think the tps...
  16. J

Little things that need to be fixed on your Ex...

'95: - front uca's, inner tie rod ends, all suspension bushings. -rebuild rear, u-joints - oil pan and filter adapter gaskets - assorted bulbs '03: -repaint roof, paint and install replacement rear liftgate applique and emblem. -airbag light is on (probably a harness issue), seat heater buttons
  17. J

5th Radiator in 12 months

Whichever I got is, in fact, made in China.
  18. J

I'm having the same problem; the three month old radiator I picked up at NAPA is leaking from where the side tanks are crimped/bonded to the core. Dreading having to go through the runaround with this p.o.s. If Ford can make a radiator of this design last 17 years and 280K miles, I'm hoping...
  19. J

I'm having the same problem; the three month old radiator I picked up at NAPA is leaking from where the side tanks are crimped/bonded to the core. Dreading having to go through the runaround with this p.o.s. If Ford can make a radiator of this design last 17 years and 280K miles, I'm hoping...
  20. J

I'll apologize right off the bat for how long this is, but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible :D Replaced the trans. in the '95 around 75K miles ago with a Ford remanufactured unit. Since then, roughly every ten thousand miles I'll get the flashing OD light and corresponding rough...
  21. J

Exterior black plastic parts turning white

I recently discovered that Black Again works great for restoring faded and chalky trim, but only if you apply it with a Scotch-Brite pad and a little elbow grease. It got the black and dark gray trim on my F150 looking exactly like the new pieces I bought because what was on the truck looked...
  22. J

Please Help, Transmission Problem

I've experienced the same in mine for some time now and think it might be the shift flare issue. Doing maintenance/valve body upgrades here in a couple of weeks and will report back to confirm whether or not the fixes worked. You might want to check out the build diary and "frankentranny"...
  23. J

'95 4.0 OHV missing under load....

Torn plug boot was the culprit. Truck runs great now.
  24. J

Head gasket leaking Coolant. Options.

I wouldn't recommend using any sealer in your cooling system; in my experience, that stuff tends to plug up the smaller passages in the radiator and heater core. You'd be much better off doing it right and replacing the head gaskets. Because of the size of the ohv 4.0 in relation to the...
  25. J

All Interior/Courtesy Lights "ON ALL THE TIME"

I had this happen once before awhile back and it eventually corrected itself after playing with the dimmer switch and opening/closing all the doors. Like was mentioned, it seems like a temperamental door switch.
Back