Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Mirge

How to: Quick and Easy 2nd gen Blend Door Replacement Tutorial

blend door actuator would be my guess. As luck would have it, shortly after I replaced my blend door, damn actuator died. thankfully only the 2 front bolts were there... someone had already ditched the one way in the back that's hard to get to. few mins to replace it.
  2. Mirge

Urgent: blend door actuator

Not exactly my idea of a good time, but I just replaced the blend door myself a couple months ago, so it wasn't too bad in comparison lol.
  3. Mirge

Just finished installing the new (CORRECT) part I got from Ford... motorcraft brand actuator. Worked like a charm. Thank God..... I was getting pretty fed up. Now have ice cold air, and burning hot heat again. Yay. I appreciate the offer. I actually tore apart the one from O'Reilly Auto Parts...
  4. Mirge

paid $75 for new actuator at stealership...... didn't work. error code 24. 20% restocking fee, and is it considered an "electronic" part in which NO refunds are given?? i have a feeling tomorrow morning i'm going to be in a BAD mood.
  5. Mirge

I've replaced the blend door... easy enough. Worked great -- for a while. Naturally, the actuator took a crap a month or 2 after. I just installed a Dorman brand actuator P/N 604-201..... didn't work. Little motor won't spin. Put back old actuator... motor spins. So, I figured I'd take a look...
  6. Mirge

Heat is no longer hot

Just went through this myself... does your AC work? If it's not super cold and you can tell whether the AC works or not... you might try that as well. If AC doesn't appear to be working either, I'm going to say blend door. A shop will quote $1,000+ if it's blend door... or could be actuator...
  7. Mirge

How to: Quick and Easy 2nd gen Blend Door Replacement Tutorial

Add me to the success list. Thanks a ton for the write-up. I had to read it several times to make sure I knew what I was doing... overall took me 3 hours, including parts runs and running back to the computer to look at the writeup again lol. Total cost: $10.99 + tax. Shop was going to charge...
  8. Mirge

Need recommendation for AC/heater repair

Few more extremely careful cuts... since I could visually see the heater core, I knew I wasn't cutting into it lol. And then I finally was able to get the new blend door in. I thought YAY... then got discouraged after I couldn't get the darn actuator back in... slowly, one degree at a time...
  9. Mirge

Still trying to put the d*mn blend door in & aligned correctly.... and things were going so smooth.. lol
  10. Mirge

Stumbled upon this: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228707 Running diagnostics on it made it start working... the original actuator. So I'm going to take back the one I just bought... pocket that $32 & change and put it towards renewing my Elite Explorer status here :)...
  11. Mirge

Maybe I was wrong? I plugged in new actuator, went from max AC 60 degrees to vent 90 degrees... zero movement? Am I doing something wrong? I figured I plug it in & move it from coldest to hottest to make it move.
  12. Mirge

I only actually read the first few posts, and saw it mentioned only hot or only cold... so I kept looking and stumbled upon: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214332 Which is what I followed. I'm waiting on a part to get delivered (actuator--turned out it was bad too!)...
  13. Mirge

Update... old door is OUT, and yes, it was most definitely messed off... the "stud" for lack of a better term, where the actuator actually turns the door, was broken off completely. I wasn't able to remove the actuator to start... so it might be a bit rough putting the new door in & making it...
  14. Mirge

Picked up the part from O'Reilly just now... re-reading that guide & gonna get started. Cross your fingers!
  15. Mirge

Ok yeah that's the part that makes me a little nervous... the cutting part. I'm going to go through the thread and see if I can figure out definitively which part I'm supposed to cut... so I don't end up breaking anything else. Really leaning towards just doing this myself. Doesn't look like...
  16. Mirge

Well, it wouldn't be the actual "shop" doing it... would be one of the mechanics that wants to make a few bucks under the table in his 'spare time'. But even if he doesn't... I wouldn't mind tackling it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214332 This looks like what I am...
  17. Mirge

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for now. I've got Gorilla tape and a saw lol... not entirely mechanically dumb, but not a pro either. We'll see what my sister-in-law's shop says tomorrow... maybe they'd be willing to do it as well.
  18. Mirge

Ok thanks for confirming I'm not seeing sh*t and losing my mind -- http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR6/902202.oap?keyword=blend+door&pt=04109&ppt=C0328 $10.49 each w/ lifetime warranty. I understand it's not OE quality from Ford, but at the same time it's a 13 year old truck and I...
  19. Mirge

Both are hot... checked that again before taking it to the shop. Paid $85 to have them diagnose it... and they said blend door is broken. They suspected motor, so they pulled out the motor/actuator... and realized it was fine, and the door itself was broken. Looking at the estimate... they...
  20. Mirge

$85 to have it diagnosed... BLEND DOOR is shot and needs to be replaced. Quoted $1,100 for parts & labor & tax. Can't afford it. What are my options?
  21. Mirge

Topped off overflow tank... didn't help. Darn... was hoping it would have been that easy too! Guess I need to call a few shops..
  22. Mirge

Forgot to check temp! Yes, both hoses get warm... motor was cold.. didn't take them long to get warm/hot. EDIT: Does that mean the valve is good? If so, any other ideas? EDIT Again: Motor wasn't completely cold when I tried it out... had sat for a/b an hour & a half. Hoses were about same temp...
  23. Mirge

Found a hose labeled "LWR HTR", and "UPR HTR"... i assume lower/upper heater hoses. Anyway... think wife & I found the valve you're talking about, but there's zero chance of me getting to it without pulling the passenger side tire off and taking off the inner fender guard. It's tucked away down...
  24. Mirge

I'm not sure what that looks like, I'll have to look that one up. Thanks for the advice... after being taken advantage of nonstop, we certainly appreciate it!
  25. Mirge

Sorry... it all "works"... if you set it to floor, it comes out of floor, etc as it should. But it's always blowing air same temp as outside basically. If you turn it on AC... can hear AC compressor kick on. Just... no heat! And back when temps weren't so cold, no AC! Thanks :)
Back