Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Can I open the liftgate window without a remote?

Thanks! That makes another one of us that didn't know this button existed. I just called the wife and told her, and she said "I don't believe it, I'm gonna go look". So, with me on the phone, she walked out to the garage, and sure enough, I hear this "click", then "son of a b**th". Too...
  2. G

Broken rear spring

Rear spring broke on my wife's 2002 Explorer last week. Passenger side. The truck was sagging very noticeably on that side when I got home and looked at it. Tire was tucked up in the wheel well. No way she could've driven it. Local mechanic wanted to replace the springs in pairs, for a total...
  3. G

Varying tire tread depths will damage drive terrain

I have a 2002 Explorer, AWD. We replaced the front two tires last fall. They were dimensionally the same as the rears (265/60 r17, or whatever the stock size is), but a different brand. As soon as I got it on the road, it ran like crap; lurching, tires grabbing the pavement in turns, etc. It was...
  4. G

Rear Springs

Just did mine, due to a spring failure. I was quoted $100 for the springs (each), and $140 each side in labor. That's $480 total. Soooo, I went to the local auto parts store, bought a pair of Monroe Quick Struts, and spent an hour replacing both springs AND struts on both sides, for $372. As...
  5. G

Replace Rear Shocks on 02 Explorer??

I'll bet the knuckle isn't lining up with it's slot in the lower control arm, preventing you from pulling the lower control arm back up to the strut. Oh, and to really give yourself room to pull out the old strut/spring assembly, put a 2x4 in between the frame and front portion of the lower...
  6. G

rear struts

Are you unable to push the control arm up to the strut? Did you remove the knuckle-to-lower control arm bolt? If you did, perhaps when pushing up on the lower control arm, the knuckle isn't lining up with it's slot on the lower control arm. I just did this last night, and that's what I ran into...
  7. G

Bearings

If changing out the bearing made the noise go away, then I'd say it was a bearing that was bad. If the same noise came back on the same corner, then I'd take it back to your mechanic to have him replace it under warranty (if applicable). My wife drove her 2002 with a bad bearing for months...
  8. G

Help needed in replacing 2002 Rear shocks

I just replaced both my rear springs and struts, due to passenger side spring breaking earlier this week. Ordered a pair of Monroe Quick Struts (#171322) for $372 from O'Reilly. There's a $60 mail-in rebate thru May, so it'll be $312 after rebate. I installed them last night. It was a piece...
  9. G

why do my brake lights stay on?

Before you buy a new brake light switch, take the current one out of the truck, and look at the two pins on the switch that the wire harness connect to. Mine behaved just like yours, and I noticed I could fix the problem by wiggling the harness connection on the switch. Seems there is some play...
  10. G

My gauge shows that my driver side door is open

I had this same problem in my 2002 Mustang GT. It would also cause the interior dome light to stay on. Someone suggested to me to spray some white lithium grease in the latch sensor in the door, and wouldn't you know, that fixed it! Greg
  11. G

Check Engine Light :(

Did the code tell you which cylinder was misfiring? The reason I ask, is that I just diagnosed and fixed this same symptom on a friend's 2002 Mustang 6-cyl this past weekend. Cylinder #1 misfire. I pulled the spark plug wire off the plug, held it near ground (with a glove on my hand, of course)...
  12. G

Strange Humming Noise From Rear....2002 Explorer

Indeed it was! Thanks for the advice! Greg
  13. G

Brake lights stuck on, helpppp!!

And another update: Our brake lights stuck on again. I took the brake light switch out of the truck, and examined the pins on the switch, where the wire harness connects. They were corroded. I cleaned them off with a small straight-blade screwdriver, put it back together, and all is well...
  14. G

Fixed Turned out to be rear passenger side hub bearing. Had it fixed, good as new! Greg
  15. G

humming gets louder as speed increases

I just went through this on our 2002, right rear. Wheel bearing. Greg
  16. G

Broken Rear Spring - 2002 Exploder - FIXED!

Thanks to the help of this forum, I replaced both my rear springs and struts last night on my 2002 Explorer. The passenger side broke the other evening when my wife was driving the truck. I purchased a pair of Monroe Quick Struts for $372, and through the end of May, there's a $60 rebate, so...
  17. G

***Update*** I put the truck up on my lift, and removed both rear tires. Visual inspection revealed nothing conclusive; both inner and outer CV joints looked clean. No play in the hubs when rocking tires in and out and back and forth. Rotating one tire (the other spinning the other direction...
  18. G

Thanks, guys. I think it's a bearing, as well. I'm going to get it on my lift this weekend, and swap the rear tires while I'm at it, just to make sure the sound doesn't follow the tire. It's definitely coming from the right rear. I'll report back. Greg
  19. G

My wife's 2002 Explorer XLT, 4.0L, 4x4 has developed a humming noise from the rear of the truck, concurrent with wheel speed. Putting the tranny in neutral at speed does not make it go away, nor does putting it in 4HI. The tires look fine, and a cursory visual inspection of all 4 rear CV boots...
  20. G

2002 Explorer Tranny Problem...Revisited

Okay! Here's an update: I took it to the tranny guy Tuesday, and had him and his mechanic drive it. We talked about solenoid packs, valve body gaskets, tranny flushes, 4x4 modules; pretty much everything I've learned from you guys. I gave them the opportunity to replace any and/or all the...
  21. G

I think I'll do that, thanks. I considered a misfire as the culprit for the shudder, but it only shudders for a second when it shifts out of O/D, precisely when it shifts, as if a solenoid isn't opening quickly enough, a band is slipping, etc. We'll give it the ole service shot, and see...
  22. G

Okay, I posted over in the 2002 Explorer/Stock Explorer forum about a month ago, about a tranny problem in my wife's 2002 4.0, 4x4 Explorer. Bone stock, 109,000 miles. Since we've owne it (purchased 4 yrs ago at 59,000 miles), it has not had a fluid change. I noticed the tranny would...
  23. G

2002 Explorer Transmission Problem..Need Help

Update I dropped the truck off at Certified Transmission in Olathe, KS last night after hours. Left the keys in the drop box. I received a call at 930 this AM from the manager of the shop, and he first apologized for not having envelopes out front for night-drop off. I thought that was a...
  24. G

White smoke, sweet smell. Head/gasket problem! Help

If you have a good straight edge, like a metal ruler, you can lay the edge of the ruler across the heads (block surface of the head) across both diagonals, and across the long centerline, and use a feeler gauge to check for gaps. Pretty straightforward. Also, before you tear it down, check...
  25. G

2002 Explorer Transmission Problem..Need Help

Perfect, thanks for the info, guys! I'm taking into the tranny guy tomorrow, and I'm going to have him diagnose it. I think I'm mentally prepared to pay him for the fluid change, to at least pay him something for his time, and then I'll respond back here with his diagnosis for further...
Back