Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 5spdman

M5OD parts

I'm looking for some info on parts for a M5OD trans...here's just a little back story to my project... So earlier this year I purchased a 95 Ranger. Thing is bare bones, long bed, 2.3L, manual trans, 2wd, power nothing (except steering), no AC, doesn't even have interior lights. Wasn't...
  2. 5spdman

How To Reseal Rear Quarter Windows

As I discovered recently, many of us suffer from leaking rear quarter panel windows. I was, and it was causing me some problems...not only could I watch water drip into the cargo area, but it was getting behind the trim and causing my siren controller to short out and caused my rear carpet to...
  3. 5spdman

Leaf springs

While my rig may be under the modified category, my rear leaf springs are not...still running the stock springs (now over the axle). They're sagging though and almost flat and need replaced. Found a place (sdtrucksprings.com) that has four different options under two different categories...
  4. 5spdman

D50 ttb?

I've had this idea running through my head for the last 7 days and I need someone to tell me if I'm crazy, delusional, imaginative or brilliant. I've thought of doing an SAS in the past, but the more I think about it, the more I realize "I'm off-roading an Explorer because it's different, and...
  5. 5spdman

Front wheel bearings (brands and torque specs)

I went ahead about a month ago and replaced all 4 pads and rotors on Edgar (91 XLT with 95 rear axle, 3.73, 5" lift, SOA, 33's) and replaced the front wheel bearings while I was at it. All parts were from NAPA, and I got the best wheel bearings they had. I had replaced the auto hubs with...
  6. 5spdman

Mid AZ run in late April...who's in?

Been thinking of taking a weekend off and going down to the Sedona, Cottonwood/Jerome, and Prescott area to do some wheeling, maybe some hiking and camping. There are tons of trails around the area, and I want to take advantage of being out here with my rig and around all of you fine folk in...
  7. 5spdman

leaky M5OD...solutions?

The truck might not be stock anymore, but the tranny is... To make a long story real short, my 91 XLT got a new transmission last year. Between then, it got gear oil like the guy at NAPA had told me to use (oops), and while it was out again to replace the slave cylinder, I sealed the leak at...
  8. 5spdman

Manual hub debacle

Alright, all you guys with manual hubs, chip in! Posted this on my build thread but hadn't heard much... I went ahead and replaced my (2nd) set of busted automatic hubs last night with a used set of manuals. Everything with the install went really smooth (other than the retaining nut on the...
  9. 5spdman

leaving for ohio in the evening, but need brakes

Hey all... I have a 1991 Explorer XLT that I JUST finished adding a 5" lift up front and SOA conversion in the rear. I ended up swapping in a rear axle from a 1995 XLT, and from my research, ended up getting a '95 brake master cylinder with no cruise and no proportioning valve. Finally...
  10. 5spdman

few 1st gen parts, new pitman arm for sale

Finally scraped my old 93 Sport and noticed I forgot to throw a few parts in there before taking it to the yard...SO, up for sale is: 3.55 front differential (gears and housing).....$70 Transfer case (minus shift motor).....$80 T-case skid plate.....$15 Gas tank (pump works, gauge doesn't...
  11. 5spdman

to use or not to use.......input requested!!

:mad: :roll: So I'm in the middle of building up my 91 XLT. It was stock, with 3.55 gearing, but is currently without any axles and awaiting"new" ones...I had decided that to keep this on the cheaper side, I'd only "upgrade" the rear axle; pulling one from a second gen with a 3.73LS diff...
  12. 5spdman

fun little on-board air project/question

This has been in my mind after going over virtually all of the mod threads in the last two weeks. I would like to install on-board air, whether it's filled with an on-board compressor or in the shop, to air up tires after hitting the trail. I've thought about using an old air compressor tank...
  13. 5spdman

dumb ring and pinion question about regearing

Hey there folks! This may be a stupid question, and one that has been answered before, but scouring these forums and the other interwebs for the last few hours has not given me any answers to the questions that are for some reason keeping me up at night....... If I were to upgrade the gears...
  14. 5spdman

5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build

Welp, it's time....I've had this 91 XLT for 4 months now and it's time to upgrade the thing! I have been wanting to build an EX since dad came home with our 93 sport 12 years ago and now the time has come where I have the materials to build, some know how and time... Backstory: I live on the...
  15. 5spdman

looking to lift...cheaply...options?

from 4x4 shift motor repair to clutch system questions, every problem i've had has been fixed from help on this site, and now i'm looking for more: i've been looking into a lift for some time (have had a 93 sport for 10 years now)....what are my best options to go about this? do i go 2" or...
  16. 5spdman

clutch pedal shouldn't go to the floor.....

fellow enthusiasts, i need your help!! okay, so just in the last week, my clutch pedal has wanted to go nearly to the floor before it does anything; feels like there's no pressure at all....and then it'll do something, but it's hard to change gears....got in it today, and it was almost...
  17. 5spdman

Help!

ok, here's the quick story: i have a 93 explorer sport with a blown head gasket and body mounts rusting out...since working in AZ, i found a 91 xlt with a good motor, but it needed a tranny...easy fix! both 4x4, both manual transmission.... here's the problem: got the tranny up into the...
  18. 5spdman

local trails

so, the weather is starting to get really nice, and having recently fixed the 4x on my ex, i would love to take it on some rides! however... i have just spent the last three days searching google for trails in ohio...what did i find? trails for mountain biking...thats about it...no help from...
  19. 5spdman

QUESTION!!! (can anyone answer?)

i'm new to the whole modification area of autos and was wondering if anyone knows specs on a 93 sports chassis...i'm looking to replace most of the parts down there due to rust and know that there are alot of similarities between the ranger and explorers...would it be possible to swap my rusty...
Back