Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 4

Parts fever!

What's your opinion, is $200 a fair price for a '93 X? It was running good and passed emmisions before the guy tried to fix a no start issue with a steering column from the bone yard. My interest in it is only for a spare motor, tranny and x-fer case. mine is very high mileage and constantly...
  2. 4

Body Mounts?

As usual, there is nothing off the shelf and easy about "Project Insanity". I am close to getting the body roughed on and of course, none of the stock mounts are going to work out for me... I have some ideas but was hoping to see if anyone else has had any experience in building their own...
  3. 4

Rear shock length, Stuffed vs Drooped?

I have completed most of my SOA conversion. Now it's time to get my shocks. I know I am not going to keep these springs for the long run so I am trying to guestimate shock size that will work now and after replacement. Right now the shock length only changes 4" from stuffed to full droop. I...
  4. 4

Quick Spring Perch question?

When doing an SOA conversion... What is the use of the three different holes in the new perch? Do I have to swap/reverse the bolt holding the leaf pack together? Is the pinion angle going to change drastically if I set it now while I don't have the weight of the body on the truck? Are...
  5. 4

Going Up! (4X50 Exploder progress)

I know that it may not seem like much to many of you but for those like myself, sitting around with a bucket of rust and very little budget... This is a 1950 Ford, F1 pickup body being installed on a '92 4X4 Explorer chasis. Also known as "Project Insanity". I just had to post this...
  6. 4

Shock too Short? (f-250 shock mount)

Should my front shock max out 2" short of my normal ride height even without all the parts put back together? These are the shocks that my "Good Buddies" @ Superlift say should be on their 5.5" Piece of "Shlift"...
  7. 4

Rear Drive Shaft & Double Cardan after SOA?

I am planing a SOA and changing the pinion angle. I have read that a mid '90 Range has the cardan in the rear drive shaft but every Ranger and Explorer in the two local JYs have a 2 U-Joint set up in the rear... They want $80 for a used drive shaft and I can buy a new cardan like my front for...
  8. 4

SuperLift, Long Radius Arm, Bracket problems???

Started to install on my ’92 chassis today and already found what I am wondering if it’s a big deal… The bracket calls for two holes drilled through the bottom and one through the side of the frame rail. The one on the side comes right through the edge of an angled brace on the inside of the...
  9. 4

Physics of shock mounting & SOA?

I will soon be embarking on the SOA conversion for the chassis from my ’92 Exploder. So far, the plan is to weld new perches on, angling the carrier directly toward the X-fer case while using a Double Cardan joint. It looks like I will need to remove/relocate the sway bar mounts for re-use. I...
  10. 4

U-Joint Delima? Qick/good answer needed...

U-Joints , no problem to replace, right? Well I've never seen this one... I was expecting to find snap rings like every other one I have ever seen... Instead, I find what appears to be very sturdy metal caps of some sort. I tried, very briefly, to pop them off with a chisel but they didn't...
  11. 4

Tips or tricks to remove rubber bushings?

OK, I’ve got all the replacement Polly Bushings on hand for the rig and I go to replace the first one... 400+K miles has fused the OEM rubber busing to the axle arm like its one piece! A hack saw and a bunch of cursing later and I still have a gross amount of material left that is fused to...
  12. 4

Pros & Cons?

I have the front end off the X and I have, on hand, all the parts for rebuilding everything outside of the carrier housing and installing 5.5" of lift. This chassis is going under my 1950 F-1 truck body. I do not know what size tires I will end up going with untill I mock up the body. Once I...
  13. 4

Snafu!

I started tearing off my front end yesterday and everything was going quickly till... On the passenger side, the bolt/stud that comes out of the top of the axle arm and attaches the upper part of the radius arm and the spring to the axle arm snapped the backing nut's weld loose! I'm thinking...
  14. 4

Old School V-8 Swap?

Looking at the miles of wiring that came with the 4.0 got me thinking... Is there an old school V-8 that would bolt up to the auto transmission of a '92 Explorer? Anybody done it? Would I have to go with an adapter or different trany??? I'd sure love to put something in this project that...
  15. 4

What Dana?

Ok, so I finally have the money in hand to rebuild the entire front end. I go to the parts store and need to know what I have Dana 28 or 35 for some of the parts... I know that there has to be a thread on how to ID this but after searching for an hour, I gave up! The parts guy was no help; I...
  16. 4

Interchangeable susspension?

Are any of the susp parts from the Explorer and Ranger interchangeable? Mostly interested in the rear springs. I have a '92 Explorer that I want to lift and would like to go with a complete set of springs rather than an add a leaf... Seriously looking at the JD 2.5" but it looks like they only...
  17. 4

Front end repair/rebuild & 2.5” lift ideas?

I am gathering info for my 92 Explorer (4Dr)… I am about to strip the body off and mount a 1950 F-1 body on it. I have a big wish list and not much budget (Surprise!). I know there are items that I have to do to the donor truck to get it mechanically sound but I am looking for your inputs so I...
  18. 4

About to begin complete disassembly, need schematics?

I am about to start a complete dismantling of my 92 Explorer in an effort to rebuild it using the body off my 1950, Ford, F-1. :eek: I figure that the best idea is to start with the schematics and service manual so I can correctly label everything that I need to keep for the reassembly...
  19. 4

Hello, Let the insanity begin...

Just joining today from WA State. I have a crazy project truck under way and just wanted to get on the fourm to start building my knowledge of explorers so I can build this thing right the first time... For some insane reason, I thought it would be "Fun" to take a 1950, Ford, F-1 and put it...
Back