Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Transmission troubles

Hey guys, first off I'm not sure which Trans I have. 1996 Explore XLT 4X4, 4.0, 4 speed automatic VIN# FMDU34X8TBU39283 Problem started as weak reverse when engine at operating temp. and then slipping out of drive when cold. I had trans serviced and they replaced the seals on the reverse/3rd...
  2. T

Trans?Transfer Case? Strange noise

Finally a follow up. :eek: Hey guys I just ran across this old post and did not realize I had not posted a follow up. It turned out to be the transfer case after all. What in particular I can't say it failed a couple hundred miles from home. I had it towed $$$$$$$! to the house and put a...
  3. T

fuel gauge stuck at full plus electrical issues

I finally got around to fixing mine.(stuck at full) Is a ground issue. In my case I had already tried a different gauge and and checked the wires from the tank to the dash. Yesterday I dropped the tank down low enough to pull the pump and sending unit, without pulling the tank completely.(A real...
  4. T

Speedo works but odometer doesn't? I fixed mine..

Brass would work good (if it has no burs) and yes it's pressed on. P.S. I fixed mine twice with a salvage unit. It popped the first time I hit the reset. (If you run off several of these I need another one.;)) I have since repaired my (also non-working)gas gauge,and again have no odo. because...
  5. T

Hey g, The noise only happens while coasting @ cruising speed. If I shift to neutral(going down hill) before the noise starts it doesn't start at all but, if the noise has already started neutral doesn't make it stop.Touching the accelerator always makes it stop. As for the...
  6. T

I'm trying to nail down a strange noise. I can't determined the source. It's a 96 4.0 Auto. It shifts fine up and down through all the gears. No slipping or serging, 4x4 works fine. But,while driving at highway speed (above 50) when I let off the gas or the cruise let's it coast, it will...
  7. T

4X4 switch swap

Can anybody tell me? If I replace the 4x4 switch on my 97' Explorer (AUTO,4Hi,4Lo) with a switch from my 96'(2WD,4Hi,4Lo) will it then work like the 96? Will it then have 2WD and not "Dogwalk" when backing up? Thanks
  8. T

Speedo works but odometer doesn't? I fixed mine..

Junk yard ODO gear I see this is an older post, and that the odometer worm gear is a common problem.(nice:thumbsup: write up) I was just wondering if anyone has found a place to buy a new gear and/or motor with gear. I really would like for mine to work as I have no gas gauge at this time. I...
  9. T

I need help with my new explorer

(Handle Problem) Mine flops too. The spring is broken or missing. "No Biggy". The door lock problem is probably unrelated as I have had to take all four doors apart on my 97' for various different lock, inside and outside handle/opening and locking problems. Pull the panel check it out, it may...
  10. T

I need help with my new explorer

Is the heater core bypassed? Heater hoses re-routed? Coolant level full? Does it have a thermostat in it? The temperature may not come up to normal operation temp in cold weather if the coolant is low.(heater blows cold-Temp gauge on "C") Might be air in the cooling system. Not sure about these...
  11. T

97 explorer 4.0 no spark

swetrid you nailed it! I just unplugged CPS put some corrosion block on it plugged it back up and drove it 70 miles to the house. Thanks for the help everyone.
  12. T

97 explorer 4.0 no spark

Thanks swetrid I'll try that before I remove the old one. I probably won't have time to go get it (or check anything) until Tue. Is there a particular fuse or relay inside (under,hood,dash or kickpanel) that I should be looking for? One little "snag" I hit was that in the fuse/relay box under...
  13. T

97 explorer 4.0 no spark

Don't know Red.My son called me last night from college and said it wouldn't start and I drove 70 miles with a handful of tools hoping for a fuel pump relay or a bad fuse. I found that it had fuel and no spark and I couldn't even remember how to check the codes. I think I'm gonna grab a dolly...
  14. T

97 explorer 4.0 no spark

Hey guys I need some input again:) As I said 97 4.0 ran fine when parked day before yesterday, now it has no spark. Checked all the fuses and relays I could find and tried a new coil pack but still no spark. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  15. T

Only way I could post

Hey guys, new here. Need some help with my son's 97' XLT 4x4. I knew the best place to go for help are the people who drive them. And I really want that pesky message to go away! lol Going to search forums for flashing 4x4! Later!
Back