Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Help with LED's

Sorry to revive this thread, but I realized I should clarify my response on here. I've found, that many aftermarket LED lamps light on explorers when installed in reverse. I'm not sure if it is because the way the lamps are wired is to make them compatible with C/K and standard sockets, or if...
  2. F

Help with LED's

It sounds like you have one or both of your LEDs installed backwards. They are diodes, which means power will only flow through them in one direction. Otherwise, do you have one of those light up hitch covers or those lights for the bottom of your tailgate? Those may also cause issues.
  3. F

Photos Lets see those 2nd Gen EX/Mounty

I took a bunch of pictures from the drivers seat, but only one of my Explorer during my road trip to Kentucky last weekend. Anywhere, here you go EF. Side note, I passed a guy towing a nice looking 2nd gen set up pre-runner style in Illinois or Indiana I think... I can't remember, I drove...
  4. F

5.0 4r70w combo

220k miles on mine, and it's still as good as new. They are the best auto tranny you can get in an Explorer.
  5. F

Door ajar light on

I guess I don't know enough about the wiring in a third gen to be of much more help over the forum. You should get an audible tone any time a door is opened with the key in the run position, and any time the driver's door is open with the key in the ignition. I guess it would help if a member...
  6. F

Door ajar light on

Ford door switches are notoriously bad. It's probably in one of your rear doors. Open the door, pull off the door panel, and unplug the little harness that goes to your latch assembly. When your warning lamp and lights go off, that's the door with the bad switch. The switches are like 15 or...
  7. F

LED Conversion Phenomenon

If you still had incandescent lights in, the LEDs could have been lighting through the grounds. There could be other issues of course that are causing your particular problem of course. But, the most common issue is not observing the correct polarity for the lights.
  8. F

LED Conversion Phenomenon

You have your lights installed backwards. Take them out of the bulb holders, flip the light bulb around, and re-install. LEDs are a diode and are made to only allow current to flow in one direction. What is happening is that your contacts on your bulbs are in the wrong position, so you are...
  9. F

Ceramics? Not This Time.

I use the Raybestos professional grade metallic and they are perfect in my humble opinion. Very quiet and they seem to have a pretty long life.
  10. F

How to: Carb on explorer 5.0

Was there a reason for not using the big cap on your dizzy with the HEI style posts, or did you just use what came with the pertronix unit you picked up? Also, I'm a bit confused since you posted a pic of wiring with the HEI 4 pin module and the wiring for the TFI, but you did use TFI since you...
  11. F

99 Ford explorer driver seat removal ??

No, you're fine just to unbolt it. The only thing that should be plugged into the seat is the harness for power seats if your vehicle is equipped with them.
  12. F

Prius step aside. Here's a new kind of hybrid which is a lot more efficient.

I've seen that there are some compressed air only cars in places like India, and I've seen some homemade/made by engineering programs at universities compressed air cars. Honestly, I think they're a good thing. I'd really like to see these kinds of tHings on the road.
  13. F

Hydro Assist Fuel Cell. Increase gas mileage 50%?

You aren't burning water... You need to split the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen. This requires electricity for electrolysis. The electricity comes from burning gasoline. This means your alternator has to generate more electricity, which means more drag on your engine. Therefore...
  14. F

Bi-Xenon Retrofit

I've been considering an HID retrofit for my 99... Those square ones look like they'd look pretty good in 2nd gen housings.
  15. F

99, 5.0 Limited.

That is a really great looking Explorer. You've got some really amazing places to play up there too.
  16. F

4406 speedo issues

Wait 2mph off at what speed? The difference in your speedo between a brand new set of tires and an old set of tires can be op to 2mph at highway speeds depending on the tires you are running. So it's not that far off if you are talking 65mph and nothing you'd be able to correct with a...
  17. F

Some info need???

I was restoring an old Wagoneer... but I traded it to a guy for a Goldwing. The Explorer has stayed my DD, but now that my health is improving and I don't have a Jeep distracting me, I might start playing with the sploder again. I cracked the bumper cover a few months back, so I feel kind of...
  18. F

Some info need???

Ah yeah, you're correct. Sorry, I forgot about that, I've been mired in a jeep project for the last year.
  19. F

Some info need???

The control arm kit is mostly a convenience but is also used in the case you damage your control arm. If you can just replace the bushing and balljoint yourself, then you'll notice no difference between using the old control arm and the new. It is quite a bit of work to replace the bushings...
  20. F

Part found in tranny pan

The easiest way to post pics is to get a photobucket account. You can upload your pics there, and it will provide you links to post your photos on here. Use the img links they provide and your photos will be visible from your thread. Otherwise, if you have them posted elsewhere online, copy...
  21. F

WTB 99+ smooth painted front bumper cover without chrome caps

I'd prefer black, but if I can't get it, I guess I'll paint it. Shoot me a PM if you've got one. Shipping to 57069
  22. F

Tricks to replacing 5.0 water pump

Try and turn the stud into the engine a little bit first. Part of your problem right now is you are trying to turn out a stuck bolt that is pulling a big chunk of rust into the threads with it. If you get it to turn, back it out a little, then go back in a hair, back it out a little more, and...
  23. F

Help me prep

You don't want to glass your doglegs for a repair. Your best bet is to cut them out of an explorer with good doglegs, and weld them in place of your old ones.
  24. F

5.0L Twisted Dipstick...

It's to make it bend easier when it is going down the tube in all directions, instead of the single direction you can bend a flat dipstick. I'm sure you've all noticed before how hard it is to insert a flat dipstick in a tube when you have it turned the wrong direction, and when you have it...
  25. F

Chevy LS swap?

I don't know why a person would want to go through the expense of an LS swap if they weren't planning a big crazy build for the motor in a vehicle that already has a 302...
Back