Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

My journey with my Explorer

Hey how's it going guys. Been with the forums since 2010 I believe and I've never taken the time to do a b&a with my explorer. I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT with the V6 Sohc. I currently reside in Southern California. Truck was a gift from my dad, who got it from his previous boss for free...
  2. J

Finally lowered my explorer!

As the title says, I have finally done it..kind of lol I lowered the back of my explorer with the djm universal 3" lowering blocks with plates. Took me about 4 hours but I feel like I couldn't finished earlier if it wasnt for the u bolts that I had to adjust a bit. After the drop, it gave me...
  3. J

Street Explorer with LED light bar?

Hey everyone, I had a sudden idea of putting an/a led light bar on explorer.. Now I've seen many of you guys here put them on your lifted trucks and put them on your roof racks or front bumper light bars.. Now my ex isn't any off road themed vehicle, it's more of a street themed ex..and I have...
  4. J

Updated Explorer Express website

Has anyone noticed the new products from explorer express? I thought that website was dead for a minute. They did after all launch the new s/c kits for the rangers, but removed bolt ons for the explorers.. Now they only carry suspension upgrades for our suvs :(...
  5. J

headlight swap

Does anyone know if 1998 or newer mountaineer headlights and corner lights will fit a 1997 explorer? Seems like they will fit by just putting the DS headlight on the right and vice versa, but would I be able to mount/bolt it on without having to swap the header panel? I'm trying to change the...
  6. J

No reverse (5r55e)

Hey everybody, So I just install a transgo shift kit (aka correction kit) and the car won't move in reverse. It seems as if it were to be in neutral. I've read other posts about the reverse not working but others don't have the same problem as mine. I took it out for a test drive and it seems...
  7. J

Any recommended Y pipes?

Hey everybody, I want to add an aftermarket muffler (dynomax super turbo to be exact) to my 97 v6 explorer. The muffler I want to use has a single inlet/outlet & the stock muffler has dual inlet & single outlet. I was looking into buying the magnaflow y pipe part #10758 but I don't know if it...
  8. J

Differences in Ford's blocks

Does anyone know if the sohc blocks from the explorer (2nd gen) and the blocks from the mustang v6 (~05ish) are interchangeable? Same question w/ the 5.0's from the explorer & the newer 5.0 crate engines. Just trying to see if they are interchangeable & to see if maybe there's any power gains...
  9. J

Sohc+backpressure=?

Quick question on the exhaust. Would I gain power by down sizing from the 2.25" to a 2" pipe and exhuast on my 97 xlt sohc? I have the stock exhaust system. I remember reading somewhere that the sohc likes back pressure but just wanted to check if this is true..
  10. J

floor shifter ?

I've been looking around to see how to do convert the shifter from the column to the floor but I ve only found that the more common used conversions are from like B&M and what I want is something that looks more stock and luxurious. I was wondering if the shifter from an 07 explorer would be...
  11. J

rear center volume controls ?

I was wondering if its possible or if anyone has actually used a harness to use the steering wheel stereo controls and possibly instead used that harness so you can control the aftermarket deck with the rear controls? Sorry if I'm not being clear enough. All I'm saying is if there's a way to use...
  12. J

2nd gen steering wheel controls?

Did 2nd generation explorers have stereo controls on the steering wheels? I'm going to try to remove the cruise control buttons and put them some where else and put some buttons for stereo use later on when I put a carpc in my car..
  13. J

Royal Purple opinions

I have no idea if this has been discussed on here before ( & yes I've searched already) but has anyone flushed everything from the engine oil to diff. Oil to Royal Purple and has actually gotten power gains? I've seen a video of Motor tv, I think thats what its called, where they only put royal...
  14. J

System pop

I know this has probably been asked hundreds of times on here but I really don't know why my speakers pop. I've searched around the forum but I can't seem to find what I need when I need it. The first sound system I had( which only involved a monoblock & two 10's) never made a thump when I...
  15. J

Window Removal

Hey Can anyone tell me how to remove the windows from both front doors? Do I have to remove the motors or something? I was trying to tint my windows and I failed miserably. SO since it seemed so hard, I thought tinting the windows with the windows removed would be way easier and I would be...
  16. J

Rear A/C Controls

Hey there. I have a 97 xlt and im trying to relocate the rear a/c controls. I saw that the harness it has has 6 cables. Im assuming that 2 are power and ground, and the other four are for each speed it has: off,low,medium,& high. Am I right or am I wrong? Im just trying to replace the switch...
  17. J

Rear audio controls

Hi everyone. I got a quick question. Im trying to remove the rear audio controls on on my 97 xlt since I dont need it. One thing I noticed was that when I disconnected the audio control's harness, I noticed that the rear speakers stopped working. I also noticed it has the same color wires that...
  18. J

header question

I was looking around for some headers for my 97 sohc & came upon some cheap ones in amazon. They are pace setters and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them and/or if they are any good? Link...
  19. J

? about maf sensor & tb

Greetings, For my latest project, I'm going to add a custom made dual cai in my 97 xlt with the sohc engine. I already know how the whole setup is going to be but I have some questions. Since I'm already going to modify the intake setup, I was thinking of putting a bigger tb & maf sensor. I've...
  20. J

Where to buy car paint online?..& other questions..

Im planning on painting my explorer since the roof is all patched up with spray can primer because of rust. I have fiberglass covering the holes the rust made, but the fiberglass is peeling off, again and well this time I want to do it right and weld on some sheet metal to cover up the holes. I...
  21. J

Any modified instrument clusters?

Does anyone here have a custom instrument cluster on there 2nd gen? Since my speedometer isnt working, Im trying to see if I can actually integrate a seperate gauge to show the speed or put a cluster possibly from another car???? Does any one know of a device that can display all the gauges on a...
  22. J

Speedo not working..

I was going back home and as I looked at the cluster to check my speed, I saw that it remained at zero! I was a bit nervous since it was about a 45 minute drive back home and not being able to be going the legal speed limit. I pulled over in a parking lot and checked all the fuses relating to...
  23. J

Non working stereo

I changed the amp location to where the stock amp and sub was. I wired everything exactly the same, just rerouted the cables all the way to the back. I finished installing everything and was working correctly. So I put the panel back and everything was set. I turned on the car to listen to the...
  24. J

Headliner measurement?

Does anyone know how many yards of fabric i need to cover the whole headliner with a sunroof? I have 4 door xlt.
  25. J

cvx or cvr?

So Im debating on which sub to get. I dont know which to get, either the kicker cvx 10"(-$110 & 600watts rms) or the kicker cvr 15"(-$120 & 500 watts rms). I chose these because they are approximately in the same price range and well because I like Kicker ;) . Which one do you guys suggest? Im...
Back