Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. jrgoffin

Uniden R7 radar detector installed

There’s a specific process to removing and re-installing the A-pillar covers since the tether straps have to remain in tact. https://www.foexplorer.com/ford_explorer_removal_and_installation_a_pillar_trim_panel-1210.html
  2. jrgoffin

2022 Ford Explorer - Dual Exhaust

You’d have to hack up your bumper or get one from an ST if you wanted exposed tips. The exhaust routing is probably the same as the ST, so cutting your mufflers off and using a set from that model could work on the cheap. Otherwise, there are several axle-back kits out there. Added this one from...
  3. jrgoffin

Explorer ST -Production Question

The point being that the date on the window sticker is, probably 99.9% of the time, not the build date. If you want to know for sure, the parts department can run the HVBoM, or service can pull up the OASIS report.
  4. jrgoffin

Explorer ST -Production Question

The date on the window sticker is NOT the build date of the vehicle (may be mentioned in that thread). That date only is when the sticker and invoice are generated. Typically, it’s about a week before actual production, but in this day and age where parts are in short supply, who knows how long...
  5. jrgoffin

New axle-back exhaust kit from Gibson

A couple new video clips from one of guys on the ST Forum. It has been a great seller for Gibson so far and has a perfect sound, at least for the ST.
  6. jrgoffin

Can the third row seats in 2016 Ford Explorer XLT be removed?

Same thing as the police package. Once you remove that third row, however, there is an 'X' brace meant to fill the area for chassis rigidity. After that you can add the police floor panels to fill in the space. Did the same thing on my '14 Sport since there was no storage at all when the third...
  7. jrgoffin

Mishimoto's Explorer ST Catch Can Thread

The previous generation had what could be considered a "catch can" of some sort (at least for a few years of the model run), but I've seen nothing of the sort for the '20-up models. Since Ford removed the previous version somewhere around '17, I believe, it must not have been worth much. In any...
  8. jrgoffin

These kits should start shipping within the next couple weeks. The guys at Gibson got backed up a bit over thanksgiving and took orders for over 40 of these Explorer kits with the sale. Will be nice to see them start popping up, especially since they are such a great bang for the buck.
  9. jrgoffin

Figured this was worth sharing for anyone wanting a bit more rumble from their ST or Aviator. Rather than just cut off the mufflers and use straight pipes like several kits out there, this one comes with Gibson's 'SFT' muffler and choice of chrome or black ceramic tips. Right now using code...
  10. jrgoffin

WeatherTech Side Window Air Deflectors

Looks like AVS/Lund finally came out with a version like those used on the previous generation Explorer. These aren't the "low profile" ones and have a much better fit without leaving the gap near the mirror. The part number from AVS is 94332 - scored a set online for around $60 and will be glad...
  11. jrgoffin

2020 Engineering Flaws

Here's where that rotary shift dial originated. Has been also carried over in to just about everything else, including the 2020 Shelby GT500.
  12. jrgoffin

Missing Part? - Clip in the glove box

Already been established. See Post #4...
  13. jrgoffin

Is that clip easy to pop off? Curious if it has an engineering number stamped in to it. Crazy that it looked to be available only with the complete door, but I have the guys at my local dealer looking in to it. Ford probably got tired of warranty claims from it breaking off, which would have...
  14. jrgoffin

Really thought it was odd to put a slot/shelf in the glovebox for the owners manual binder, but have no way to keep it in its place (for us OCD types). That was nice with the 5G Explorer that there was a shelf for the booklet above the glovebox. Just stumbled on the lack of the clip - such a...
  15. jrgoffin

Custom 170° thermostats

The fan on/off speeds get reset when tuned. With my Cobra for example the engine is always in the 170's - 180's with the lower-temp thermostat and adjusted fan settings. Compare that to 200°+ with the OE settings and thermostat. Not a huge market for thermostat swaps when it comes to the...
  16. jrgoffin

Custom 170° thermostats

Original post has been edited!
  17. jrgoffin

Steeda Adjustable Rear Sway Bar

For anyone curious about the merits of larger/stiffer sway bars in IRS vehicles, here is some good reading. It's from my Cobra site, but the idea is the same ------> Suspension
  18. jrgoffin

Yes, it’s a screen shot. The actual video is on Steeda’s site.
  19. jrgoffin

Great addition to tighten up an IRS. These are a necessary upgrade to carve the corners! You can see what looks to be the prototype bar in their springs video:
  20. jrgoffin

Custom 170° thermostats

EDIT: I had to make a correction to the original post since I inadvertently added a DIY document that only applies to the 5th Gen Explorer. My apologies since I mixed up the part numbers. This is the correct method to knock out this thermostat easily...
  21. jrgoffin

Under view of 2020 Explorer ST

Actually, "Adaptive" valve. States it exactly right on the pipe. I've stated several times that the most economical way to change the sound on this very quiet vehicle is to just remove the resonator, rather than buying an expensive system that gives it that "import" sound. They did, however...
  22. jrgoffin

Wheel bearings - very short lifespan.

They were factory bearings. Taking it to the dealership, you'll get...factory bearings.
  23. jrgoffin

Cabin filter

Hopefully you can just tilt the glovebox door down (after emptying it out, of course) to gain access. Those push-pin clips in the 5th Gen were a real pain to get back in once you re-installed the door. Will eventually find out...
  24. jrgoffin

Ventilated Seats

They draw air through them to pull moisture away from your body rather than blow cold air on you. I don't dig them as much as those in my '14 Sport, but they are better than nothing. Have something similar with custom Recaro seats in my '03 Cobra: there are two small fans that resemble those in...
Back