Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

hard shift

While I don't know what causes the explorer to "shift hard", I do know that the "smooth shift" is something that is set up to comfort the occupants. When a tranny "shifts smooth" something has to slip and slipping causes wear. I prefer a firm shift and have been known to add a little "Type F" to...
  2. A

Class action lawsuit for cracked tailgate filed. 02-05

Now that mine has cracked I've taken notice to the many other tailgates of the very popular Ex we have in this town. I would guess that 75% are cracked. I'm headed to the Ford store next week to see what they say.
  3. A

Class action lawsuit for cracked tailgate filed. 02-05

My tailgate piece cracked about 2 months ago. Right dab in the center.
  4. A

EGR Insufficient Flow Check Engine Light

P0401 code. With only 81,000 miles and driven very gentle I addded a small bottle of Lucas FI cleaner to 1/8th tank of fuel and drove 30 miles flooring it 4-5 times on the interstate from 45 up to 70+ mph. Then added 16oz of Chevron Techron and drove 3 miles where I added 8 Gallons of 93 octane...
  5. A

Wanted: The latest and greatest "Scan tool"

2011 will be here soon. Technology changes every year. I have read for most of this morning and learned the basics of scan tools. There is a lot more to learn. For the members with a scan tool less than one year old (others welcome) I plan to purchase a scan tool in the next 10 days for the...
  6. A

Alternator, Battery,or Ground

I know I'm drawing at straws here. The last time I saw lights pulsate on a vehicle it was caused from a shorted hot wire on the downstream side of a circuit breaker (not fuse) that fed another item. This was on a Fire pumper. Do your light pulsate randomly or something like 1 second dim and...
  7. A

Hello from Alabama!

Good place to be from Ain't nothing better than Alabama. And we can prove it. Welcome Jon. weh87, I a few friends from your area that work as Forest Rangers. They have been very busy with all this drought.
  8. A

Ripped off on a 2003 XLS...

That's what forums are for. The price was a little high, for me at least. In life if I make friends with someone who just happens to be an auto mechanic I'm always on my best behavior. "Chet" has saved me thousands of dollars. I do 90% of my mechanic work and if I'm unsure of what I'm doing I...
  9. A

Strange problem

My 04 ex is doing about the same thing. On my way home from work (30 miles) about 3 times a month in the same location after going up a slight grade then releasing the pedal it dies. Only thing I will add is there is a cell tower right beside the road (75 feet away). It always restarts. I have...
  10. A

Feels Like The Left Side Is Going Over Small Speedbumps

Sounds like a broken tire belt. Check it closely. Might place it on the left rear to see if it changes. A broken belt will cause the tire to have a hump on it.
  11. A

Hot start problem

Stonie13, How many miles are on the spark plugs? Fouled plugs (weak spark) will run fair, but they will make an engine hard to get going when hot.
  12. A

Gas Milage... How to get the best?

I am interested in getting more mpgs. Not much city driving here. I use synthetic oil. Around 19 mpg average. I did get 21.5. -I run 38 psi in the front and 34 in the rear tires. -When approaching a red light or stop sign I remove my foot from the go pedal as soon as safely possible. That...
  13. A

Security System Arming Itself?

While we're speaking of 04 xls alarms. Twice mine has gone off with a little help from me. First time I unlocked the door with the fob and within a few milliseconds I opened the door. I think the computer did not have enough time to disarm the system. Maybe I'm faster than electricity. LOL...
  14. A

is putting a quart of tranny fluid in my oil recommended by you guys to clean it out?

The last company I worked for before retireing had a fleet of 22 trucks. There was a 1998 ex in the fleet. Most of the vehicles were s-10s and f-450 V-10s. The full time mechanic was a retied military mechanic in his 60s. He would add one quart of dexron 3 to each vehicle at every 3k mile oil...
  15. A

Over heating problems.

How did they determine it was not head gasket? What you describe to me is low water level or compression entering the water which will block flow. Next time engine is up to operating temp. Look at the coolant jug for at least 5 minutes while it is ideling. See any bubbles? For how many miles...
  16. A

Transmission blowing fluid out dipstick tube

Good point Tony. The shop could have installed the wrong dip stick. Too short. I watched a ford truck spitting tranny fluid on the exhaust manifold from the dip stick tube here in Alabama on a hot summer day while at a shop I worked at. It caught on fire after 3-4 minutes. It was over...
  17. A

Explorer shuts off out of no where....(weird)

Does your engine idle smooth? Mine did this one time when I first bought it with 68k miles. I ran two 12 oz bottles of chevron techron and it has not done it since. This week Advance auto in our home area has buy one get one free.I do not run ethanol gas. Today ethanol gas today has detergents...
  18. A

help me out. long road trip ahead....

I really would replace the engine oil and tranny fluid. Thake a few gallons of water or coolant along just in case. If you develope a water leak you can remove the radiator cap (don't get scalded) and use duct tape to patch a hose till you find a replacement. Run some chevron techron fuel...
  19. A

Heater Barely Heating and Temperature Gauge Going Up and Down

With that many miles I guessing "head gasket". The compression leaking into the cooling system will block water flow allowing the radiator to get cooler then when the water does flow the temp gage will drop out. When it's up to operating temp. look inside the plastic coolant jug for 3 minutes...
  20. A

4X4 jerking

Is this happening on snow/ice or on asphalt? I'm not going to say you don't have a problem, but it is normal for a true 4x4 vehicle to buck and jerk on hard surface. When turning the front tires have farther to travel then the rear wheels. Very bad for the transfer case and drivetrain. It's...
  21. A

Tire Preferences

I do not recommend going up on tire size. Been there done that on other vehicles. I went to sams to shop for tires and they only had the Michelen X cross terrain in my size. So for $165 + $15 + tax per tire I'm glad I did. The original factory tires had 69600 miles and still had another 5000...
  22. A

2007 ford explorer hard shifting

For an auto tranny to shift smooth something has to slip. Usually clutches. Slipping means wear. I prefer a hard shifting tranny.
  23. A

2004 4.0 V6 Transmission question

You are correct about the smooth shifting. It is programed or built into the valve bodies if my thinking is correct. I remember back in the 80's I knew a lady who traded her Mercedes 300SD because it jerked while shifting. Those automatics would last 300k miles with regular maintenance. On my...
  24. A

engine use alot of oil 2qt 300 miles

what would you consider you're level of technical ability? Good question rhauf. Be careful when tightening up the various engine cover bolts. Nothing will ruin your day like a broken bolt in the block or head. You can always retorque a bolt later. If you break a bolt ??? Go ahead and change...
  25. A

Oil changes and E85

Welcome 04Exowner. I too bought an 04 xls last month with 68k miles. I try to stay away from ethanol enhanced fuels. From what I under stand they don't clog fuel injectors as bad as they did 10 years ago. I'm do know that alcohol attacks rubber fuel line components. I have seen that damage first...
Back