Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Can't remove door panel/ 97 Explorer XLT

Thanks David, I do have a door panel removal tool, I have used it before. I will lower the window & attempt to remove the panel It just seems very tight at that area, near the window & the front of the door area. Seems like something is holding it from being pulled up as you mentioned...
  2. E

Can't remove door panel/ 97 Explorer XLT

I need to get into the driver door panel to troubleshoot the electric mirrors that aren't working, & for the life of me I cannot seem to remove door panel without fear of breaking something. I have all visible screws removed, and the panel at the rear of the door springs a bit, but I cannot...
  3. E

Thinking about bypassing my GEM module

budwich - I have cleaned the contacts to just about everything I could find that has a connector on this vehicle; pulled all the relays/fuses, cleaned up everything & put dielectric grease on the GEM/other connectors. Replaced all grounds that I came across with new straps/wires. In-depth...
  4. E

Can't get a new one from Ford, since it is so old. They no longer make them...If I pick up a salvage yard unit, it most likely will be no better than the one I already have...
  5. E

With the issues I am having w/ my '97 Explorer XLT - 4WD, such as; Intermittent power window issue, intermittent interior lights, intermittent wipers, I am thinking about bypassing the GEM altogether & putting each of these on their own circuit. Oh yeah, intermittent 4WD as well. :mad...
  6. E

Keycode for driver door keypad

Thanks guys! What would we do without the 'net & these wonderful forums? Saving boatloads of cash is what it's all about! :D
  7. E

Keycode for driver door keypad

I have a '97 Explorer OHV/4.0., purchased used. It has the keyring remote & also the keypad on the door. Problem is, I do not know what the entry code is. I thought I remember reading somewhere that the keypad code is on a sticker somewhere on the vehicle, possibly on one of the modules...
  8. E

Power windows & interior lights intermittent...

Update - Had a chance to do some work on this; I pulled the GEM & cleaned all the contacts/connectors & also all the connectors I could find behind the radio & in that general area. Put everything back together & what do you know - everything is working again! It's only been a day so far, but...
  9. E

Sent the explorer to the mechanic, as I don't have a good area to really work on it at this time, nor a scan tool. He replaced the relay(s), no change. However, when he scanned it the GEM had a laundry list of codes as long as your arm. He is suspecting a defective GEM as being the culprit for...
  10. E

I've been pouring through other threads which talk about this problem & similar, but I am unable to locate said relays. Are these the ones that are located inside the vech., up above the gas pedal in that black box? If so, which replay specifically? When I had this problem a couple of months...
  11. E

I have been chasing this problem for awhile now & can't seem to get a handle on it. My power windows & interior lights will sometimes not work, both at the same time. If I open the door & I have no interior lights, rest assured the windows will not work either. I have sprayed the door latches...
  12. E

'97 Explorer "X" transfer case motor replacement...

Yeah, that is part of my prob., & when the lights are flashing the 4WD does not work. I will pull them & see if they need a cleaning or worse, damaged...
  13. E

Hi dogfriend, Thanks for the info. Are both of those sensors the same that are on either side of the case? They appear to be the same, but I would guess each serves a different function. I only have a Haynes manual to go on, it is not much help in this area. Are they both called the...
  14. E

Hey guys - I came across this thread. I haven't checked mine out that closely yet, but it sure has the appearance of my diff. In post #12, one of the pics (great pics in this thread!) shows the removal of the speed sensor. Does it normally just pop right out after removing that bolt? I...
  15. E

Thanks guys - Yes, I'm sure after this long the plastic is very brittle - and combined w/ the below freezing temps we have had here in Southeast PA for over a month now. I should probably go ahead & replace those rotational speed sensors as well at this time...
  16. E

I am getting ready to replace the transfer case motor on my Explorer. It has the flat 7 pin (if I recall correctly from when I looked at it a few o. ago.) connector. In the same harness, it also has (2) small plastic sensors? about a dime size in dia. that fit into the rear of the transfer...
  17. E

Blower motor only works on high

Just wanted to reply; thanks for all the info. Pulled the old resistor out & it was a corroded mass of rust, especially the connectors. Replaced & all works like new! Easy repair, all is well. Thanks again!
  18. E

I've been searching for it; So it is in the engine compartment, near the bottom of the blower motor housing? Looks like I have to remove the washer fluid bottle, etc, it get to it so I can remove it...
  19. E

'97 OHV "X" Explorer. - Manual temperature control The blower only works on high fan setting. I looked at my local parts store website & they list the "Blower Motor Resistor" as part of the fan speed switch? No resistor elsewhere? It is an integral part of the switch?
  20. E

Battery drain on my '97 Explorer

Hello all! I have a '97 Explorer OHV 4.0 "X" Model; I recently got this truck on the road after sitting for about 3 yrs. I am experiencing a battery drain which I am having prob. locating. I connected a test light in series with the neg. batt. terminal, & got a slow pulsing light flash...
Back