Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Dome light stays on BUT no door ajar

Yes. It also keeps the outside mirror lights on.
  2. N

Dome light stays on BUT no door ajar

Hello all. I know dome lights staying on often comes with bad door latch sensors but that is not this case. The door ajar light does not light, the doors lock and unlock ok. I did take the driver door apart and the latch sensor is ok. I tested the number 17 delayed acc fuse on driver side, the...
  3. N

how do I install timing tensioner

Success! Thank you StreetRod. Did not have to turn crankshaft. Pre oiled by dunking in oil and pumping 6 or so times. Put washer on shaft with inside "cone" pointing up along threads towards block. Kept in place with grease. Using the butt of a wooden hammer handle in the left hand for...
  4. N

Agree 1/4 not enough. I can depress the new OEM one all the way, the old goes all but 1/8" of the way. If I push them together, the old is weakest for the first 1/4" then the new has less resistance. I have still not yet pre oiled the new one. BTY, how are they pre oiled?
  5. N

I can only get the tensioner I about a 1/4 turn. I have hard time getting to the crankshaft nut with the fan and the radiator in the way. Do you know what size nut it is? Can I bump the engine over with the starter or will that damage the timing chain without the tensioner in place? Also how...
  6. N

Thank you. I picked up the new tensioner today from my Ford dealer, as it is "dry" it has less resistance going in. I assume that it should not be "primed" with oil prior to installing and the regular engine oil pressure should fill it as it runs? Will try turning the crankshaft pulley but with...
  7. N

Any tricks for installation of the front timing chain tensioner? It came out easily but requires so much force to put in that I am afraid of cross threading it. Thank you for any tips you have. .
  8. N

Will she make it?

Lots of good information here on timing chain tensioner and rear, front hub maintenance. If no abnormal noise you should be fine. Good luck.
  9. N

2002 4.0 sohc I got the left timing chain tensioner out. How do I get the new one in? There is so much force on it before the threads engage that I am afraid of cross threading. Many thanks for any help. Sorry wrong forum will move.
  10. N

Keep or trade my 2004?

Can't decide what to do! Love my 04 Eddie Bauer but it has 224,000 miles with the 4.0 SOHC. Transmission was just replaced and the hubs which seem to be a wear items along with the timing chain tensioners need replacement. Should I trade for a 2010 Eddie Bauer V-8 with 70-100K miles? Will I...
  11. N

4.0 SHOC life expectantcy

Thank you for all the help. I should have specified that I have the 4.0 sohc 6 cyl. Would replacing the two tensioners that are accessible from the outside help? I quess I can't get use to the idea that good cars end up in the junk yard just because of timing chains as most all engines have...
  12. N

4.0 SHOC life expectantcy

Hello All, I have 2004 Explorer with 223,000 miles on it. The timing chain can only be heard on initial start up for a few seconds, and the engine runs smoothly otherwise. How much longer can I reasonably expect this engine to last? The only other issue is the wheel hubs are overdue for...
  13. N

Gen3 4.0 vacuum lines-Need Help!

:roll: Hope someone here can help. Background Had to remove intake manifold to replace valve cover gasket. When finished went to check coolant level, approaching thunder storm, forgot to tighten resavour fully. Cap fell off on the interstate. Fortunately it stayed on the wheel but it...
  14. N

Ford Explorer 2006 A/C not blowing at front

Good post! I have the same problem but have no suction in the red line. Anyone know how to find the cause-vacuum vs elctrical? Is there a fuse for this? I couldn't find it in the manual. How much vacuum should the line have?
  15. N

2002 Ford Explorer ABS light on please help!

Sorry if this doesn't help much but my 2002 has gone through periods where the ABS warning light goes on and then always goes off before I get it tot a dealer/repair place. No codes are shown and the car handles the same. Has not reoccurred in over a year. Dealer says it must be lit to...
  16. N

need help w o2 sensor

I have a read a lot of posts on o2 sensor issues but am still very confused. Is bank 2 the driver or the passenger side? How is the best way to get to the Bank 2 sensor 2 connector and sensor. Many thanks for any help.
  17. N

P0161 Heater circuit/O2 sensor

Hello all. Have a P0161 error message-heater circuit bank 2 of 2. 2002 V6 Explorer. I know this must be a stupid question but where is the bank 2 of 2 O2 sensor located and how is it tested? I've read the stickies but not sure where to check the voltage even once I find the sensor. Thanks...
  18. N

2002 Electric Gremlins

Thanks Rondo. The check wiring pics are no longer online but I will check the wires once the weather breaks. Where is the door ajar switch? I have always wondered were it is...most of my cars were so old it was always a plunger sticking out of the A pillar. Will post when I find a fix. I don't...
  19. N

2002 Electric Gremlins

The door ajar light is not on.
  20. N

2002 Electric Gremlins

Hope someone can figure this one out. Lately my 2002 Eddie Bauer has developed a wierd set of electrical problems that might be related as they all developed at the same time. -the radio shuts off as soon as the key is removed instead of when the door is opened. -the driver door control can...
  21. N

P0775 drivable?

On and off my 2002 Explorer has flashed a ckeck trans message with a P0775 error code. Seems to drive ok. My question is; is it ok to drive while I look for a shop to fix it? Many thanks. Larry
Back