Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

My audiobahn system goin in the 02

That looks like a nice setup! I have an '02 limited and am thinking of going with aux inputs to the in dash 6CD changer. If you still have the radio you pulled out can you do me a favor? Is there a round unused connector on the back? Also what is the model number of the radio? Better yet...
  2. R

anyone have sirius satelite radio?

I've had Sirius since June and would never consider listening to a commercial on my music channels again (sorry XM)! I now have 3 subscriptions. I'm also buying a couple for Christmas presents. The music selection is great, the sound quality is very good and just enough DJ involvement to...
  3. R

What's your favorite Sirious Radio Station?

The Pulse Spirit Starlight Totally 70's Big 80's The Rock The Trend 1st Wave
  4. R

Well, I got the '03 Mountaineer...

My '02 X owners manual says to run 87 octane. The higher octane formulations can harm the engine and have no benefit according to the manual.
  5. R

Help this Noob

First of all welcome to this site. Someone is bound to have good ideas on what to check. I don't know much either but I'll guess. It sounds like one of your sensors has gone bad or the accelerator cable is getting stuck. Is your check engine light on?
  6. R

15k Oil Analysis Results

What oil board? I'm interested.
  7. R

15k Oil Analysis Results

Thanks for sharing, that's much better to read :) I don't know how significant it is, but your wear metals are accumulating and are usually higher than mine. Just taking one of the measurements for comparison, the the Iron (Fe) is 21 on mine, and yours is 49 up from 18 from your previous...
  8. R

15k Oil Analysis Results

aldive, I think it may need to be reformated to make any sense of it. BTW, the lab told me I could continue using mine until 5000 miles.
  9. R

15k Oil Analysis Results

Here's my results: Vehicle '91 Ford Explorer Miles 3147 Oil 10w30 Quaker State Engine 4.0L V6 Driving Conditions - Short Trips 10 miles or less Measured Average Aluminum 3 4 Chromium 1 1 Iron 21 19 Copper 7 6 Lead 3 5 Tin 0 3 Molybdenum 40 31 Nickle 2 0...
  10. R

15k Oil Analysis Results

aldive, I'm interested in the details of the report if you can post them here I can compare against my 3000 mile dino oil. That could make for some interesting comparisons.
  11. R

2003 Explorer Sport FX4

I was under the impression they had IRS. These were highly modified, so they weren't stock. I could be wrong, but they made a point to suggest they had IRS when I almost flipped. I still could be wrong, because I don't really know much about suspension, I was just curious. Back to the...
  12. R

2003 Explorer Sport FX4

Here's a question for all you off-roaders. What is wrong with Independent Rear Suspension? Is it too hard to put a lift kit on? In principle it should have an advantage, one in which I've seen first hand with lifted Wranglers. These things could climb over rocks like they were nothing while I...
  13. R

SERVICE TRACKING ?????

I think the dealers have access to some database like that. Try CarFax.com for a fee you can do a search. Definitely worth the money. If the person didn't use a dealer or a main shop you will probably not get much info. Good Luck!
  14. R

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 test

Who's those people? My oil analisys from Blackstone Labs was quick, shipped and received results in the same week. I would say 4200 miles of driving without the results is unacceptable. How long have they had your sample? Maybe they lost it. I have a question about the 0W30, are you happy...
  15. R

2k2 mineral gray wheel suggestions...

That makes me happy I got black. Thanks, I'm past the wishing I had Mineral Gray part now :)
  16. R

Just calculated...

Brands matter because they all have different additive packages to keep your engine clean or whatever. That's why I don't use the generic brands. Either Shell, Texaco, Chevron etc. Mostly Shell because I get a 5% discount.
  17. R

Just calculated...

The difference could also be a change in elevation. Are you at a lower altitude than you were? In my case my wife can take a car that gets 18 Mpg and turn it into a 14 mpg care pretty quick. She's heavy on the gas and brakes.
  18. R

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 test

Synthetic probably wasn't the cause, but it exposed the weakness in the seal. Synthetics are more uniform in molecule size making them flow better and so if your seal has a leak, it's more likely to find it. At least that's my understanding. I just switched to Mobile 1 and I haven't noticed any...
  19. R

2k2 mineral gray wheel suggestions...

Congrats on your new car! I have an '02 and love it so far. You picked a very nice color too. I ended up with black which is nice except for it is hard to keep clean. As far as wheels, I just went with the factory Chrome upgrade which I know isn't what you are looking for but it sure looks...
  20. R

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 test

That's an impressive record! What is an SDF filter? Is he using a bypass filter and are you?
  21. R

Driving on Ice

Is this because most people don't know how to control 4 wheels with power? I would say that someone that has mastered ice and rain in 4wd might have an edge up on those that only master rear wheel drive under the same conditions. I think most people on ice and rain get into trouble by stopping...
  22. R

Just calculated...

Ok now I get it :confused:
  23. R

Driving on Ice

Don't think I saw this posted yet but try lowering the air pressure in your tires. It makes them perform better on slick surfaces.
  24. R

Just calculated...

ok this doesn't sound possible. What's the secret? BTW, I'm averaging 14mpg on my 4.0 '02 Limited mixed highway and stop and go traffic but I expect that to rise as it breaks in.
  25. R

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 test

It's superior to a fram or a stock Motorcraft and most other brands I agree. I was simply questioning the sub micron claim and I don't think they are any better than a K&N Gold filter. The Amzoil filter filters down to the 10 micron range I think. I have an Amzoil filter and it definitely isn't...
Back