Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

PATS keys issue? - No crank, no click, blinking fast

Well I'm a happy camper! Got Forscan, registered the extended license, and after messing around with it a bit managed to to reprogram the PATS! Two of my 3 keys are Chinese knock-offs, and the typical reports that they'll work as additional keys but struggle to work as the initial 2 keys...
  2. B

Dang, thanks for finding that post Number Twelve. Looks like that may be what happened to me. Well that's frustrating. Looks like a call to my locksmith, or getting Forscan and their add-on or whatever to work with PATS, is in my future.
  3. B

Hey folks, Have an annoying issue. My 04 has had ongoing issues starting where it needs a jump to get going after sitting for any real length of time, but it hasn't been serious enough for me to worry about yet. Yesterday though was about the same - I'd try to start it and it wouldn't...
  4. B

Side mirror adjustment

Huh, that's a fascinating issue and one I wouldn't have even considered. Thanks for the update, might be helpful to keep in mind if other people ask in the future!
  5. B

Bought an 02 that wont move?!?

A junk yard transmission absolutely is untrustworthy, but I wouldn't discount just getting a rebuild, which is what I did and faced no problems once done. I assume saying "new" you mean they're actually quoting you for a new transmission which would definitely jack up the price. Perhaps the...
  6. B

Snowed in EX pictures.

This was mine last year during that series of storms that shut down Boston. And no, that's not a drift. I had already shoveled snow away around it before taking the photo.
  7. B

Bought an 02 that wont move?!?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that is likely (but maybe not guaranteed). The transmissions in this gen are notoriously bad. Mine went on the night I drove it home from the dealer! Same thing, driving down the road and it slowly seemed to lose pulling power and rev higher until I made...
  8. B

Door Keypad Install

Hey folks, Recently downgraded to an 04 XLS after my old one got totalled. There's a lot I miss that the XLT had which I'd like to put back at some point, but one of the biggest things is the keyless entry. I've been searching the forums, but does anyone have a link to any project threads...
  9. B

Switching to synthetic oil at 145k?

Hopefully the Mobile One didn't cause what I see in your profile picture. I'd certainly like to avoid that. :D Heh, thanks. Suppose I might as well, it's hardly an additional cost especially for the low amount of times I do changes.
  10. B

Switching to synthetic oil at 145k?

Hey folks, My lovely Explorer got totalled recently when a woman who was too old to drive decided her car should be in the same place mine was. :( So I started looking at new cars, used cars, thinking about what I wanted and eventually it came to me that... I should just get another...
  11. B

Adding fuses to lines that aren't always on

Thanks DrDoom. I ended up using fuse 9 as suggested in this post. Even though mine's an 04 and the fuses don't look exactly the same (fuse 9 for me was unused), it did the same thing and powered on and off with ignition. Not exactly what I wanted since I'd prefer it to stay powered on until...
  12. B

Adding fuses to lines that aren't always on

Hey folks, hoping you can help me understand something I thought would be simple. Never is, eh? I've been working on hardwiring my dashcam so I don't have anything hanging down my windshield. I got one of the add-a-circuit devices and the wiring I needed, and just tried hooking it up to the...
  13. B

What's your preferred method of accessing the internal fuse panel?

Heh, alright. Glad to see it wasn't just me. I suppose if I ever need to do extended work I'll set up some kind of table to lay on at floor height. Cheers all!
  14. B

What's your preferred method of accessing the internal fuse panel?

Hey all, So I had to do a quick bit of work on my passenger compartment fuse box earlier, and bent in some real awkward ways to access it. Even with the seat all the way back I ended up sitting on the running board and bending my back over the floor of the Ex. Really happy it took no longer...
  15. B

zombie response vehicle

I'm surprised you were able to take it with the Police stickers still on it, figured they'd remove them before selling them to someone. Love the conversion though, I could never see myself driving a vehicle like that but I love looking at it. :D
  16. B

Will the mirror from a 2nd Gen ST or a '06+ Ranger fit on a 1st Gen ST?

Haha, that looks like it hurt even without hitting your head. I didn't have a problem with them until I started driving commercial vehicles. I got so used to being able to see everything with the massive mirrors that going back to the ****ty "is there a car next to me" mirrors was impossibly...
  17. B

That's interesting. So it looks like the "base" (or whatever the official name for the mounting area is) is the same shape, but the non-sport trac has extra plastic there. If that's the case then that's good, if it was the other way around and the shape was different you'd have a much harder...
  18. B

2003 XLT No start, everything dead, anti-theft light solid red

I know it's a simple suggestion, but sometimes the simple things are the ones that get us: You replaced the battery last weekend, it's possible when you put the cables on the new one in a way that was bumping them around. Consider you're driving home, they come loose (not fully disconnected or...
  19. B

Hehe, a little thread necro but there's some good info in here so I'm glad you brought it up for your question. Is a 1st gen ST essentially the same as a 2002-2005 (third gen) normal Explorer? And is a 2nd gen ST the same as a fourth gen Explorer? The pictures I see on Google make me think...
  20. B

Key won't fit in door lock [2004 XLT]

That ended up being it. It's been a while since I've actually even thought about locks freezing, and all the times in the past have prevented them from turning but I hadn't even considered that since the key wasn't going in. It's a pretty simple concept now that you brought it up. That's why...
  21. B

I'll try that. Ice is a definite possibility and probably the most likely suspect. We haven't had much wet weather, but it has been cold and humid and I live near water. The hammer will stay in the toolbox. ;)
  22. B

Hey everyone, Been a while since I posted here but I still read the forums a lot. Getting a full time job has made me realize I have less time to focus on anything "fun" when it comes to the Explorer. I come to you with an issue that may not be extremely serious, but definitely has put a...
  23. B

1 single brake pulse from 20-stop?

I get a similar thing, whenever I come to a stop from a slower speed by applying any pressure beyond very gradually slowing down. I haven't done any of my own work on my wheels and it feels just like ABS pulsing but just once... Figured it was just the ABS being finicky and kicking in but I'd be...
  24. B

Replacing exterior door handle on 2002 Explorer

Old as this post is, I wanted to thank you for the writeup! I just replaced my handle today (it broke at the same spot) and this was invaluable to figure out how to do it.
  25. B

4th Gen/General Mirror Installation on 3rd Gen

Yes, they do. It seems to me that the lights are a bit dimmer, or maybe angled differently as they're made for the 4th gen body, but I never really used the puddle lights to see anything so I don't notice it. But they're there, and the mirrors work great!
Back