Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

I replaced upper and lower ball joints on both sides two weeks ago and I would like to post my experience for other people. I read through all pages of this thread and the one for upper ball joint before I began. I did not understand what they meant by the clearance issue of the driver side...
  2. M

97explorer (manual) experiencing shaking at ~35 miles/hr

Since the rear tires have been worn, one of of them (or maybe both tires) has to spin a little when the car accelerates and the whole car shakes. I hope the differential have not been damaged because of this for a long time. I moved the rear wheels to the front and the problem has been solved. I...
  3. M

Thank you for the reply, obie. I will check on it.
  4. M

I still have the shaking problem only at 30-40 miles/hr after the replacement of motor mounts. Do I need to check on clutch and flywheel now?
  5. M

I just replaced motor (engine) mounts and transmission mount for my 97 explorer (4.0 ohv manual and 2wd) and would like to inform my experience to this website for some future people who want to try the same job. First, I explain how to do the job on transmission mount. There are 4 nuts you...
  6. M

Thank you for the reply. I will check on it.
  7. M

Right after I start the cold engine, I am having a shaking issue with my 97 explorer (5 speed) only at the small speed range of 30 - 35 miles/hr. With other speed, the truck runs perfectly fine. Some time after the truck drove (maybe 30 minutes or so), the shaking reduces almost to...
  8. M

leaf spring install (97 explorer)

Thank you for your reply. I will try your way.
  9. M

leaf spring install (97 explorer)

I replaced rusty old leaf springs with new ones, but one of them has not been aligned correctly. The little something looking like a nipple must be inserted in a small hole on the axle housing. I had one set of leaf springs go in there on the passenger side and the other not on the driver...
  10. M

I need help replacing my valve cover gaskets.

i did this job yesterday. it was enduring but doable and time consuming. one thing i want to add to others' comments is that you don't need to remove the egr pipe. i tried to disconnect it without success. but it turned out this job can be done with the egr valve untouched. if you could...
  11. M

TPS Replacement Question?

I had the same problem with my 97 OHV (4.0) when I replaced tps with a new one. But it turned out that the part was wrong. I guess they sent me the part for SOHC. When I installed the old part, I could feel a little tension. But with the new part, there was no tension.
  12. M

Rear bumper replacement.

I experienced the same problem and fixed it in an easy way. There are two bolts (and nuts maybe) on either side and you need a 13/16(?) socket. I may be incorrect about the socket size, but definitely it is an American size (not metric). I had a lot of difficulty loosening the bolts at...
  13. M

what do i need to do after i take off the manual transmission

hi, everyone. i am getting a lot of help from this site and would like to thank everybody. i am planning to detach the manual transmission from my 97 explorer, 2wd to replace the clutch and the slave cylinder. Now i am making a shopping list of parts to order on line. I would like to...
  14. M

Introdcution: EEC-V Computer

Thanks.
  15. M

Valve cover gasket

i did this job about 6 months ago on my 97 explorer, 4.0 ohv, but after taking out all the necessary parts, i found that maybe i needed only retightening the bolts of the passenger side valve cover. i replaced the gaskets anyway, but it could be unnecessary hassle. i recommend you to check on...
  16. M

Rear bumper pushed in

it was easy. you need 13/16 inch socket, a universal joint and a breaker bar.
  17. M

Rear bumper pushed in

i am in the same situation with my 97 explorer 2wd. the rear bumper is sucked in a little. i figured out that the four bolts (two each side) should be loosened and then the rear bumper could be rotated and the rear look would be better. However, the bolts are too tight and they wouldn't budge...
  18. M

Clutch Master Cylinder Pushrod Removal

i finally finished replacing the clutch master cylinder for my 97 explorer and i want to encourage others to do it. it was time consuming and not that difficult.
  19. M

the tool is named ford clutch tool or something. it is well explained in the chilton manual and is used to disconnect quick-connect line. it is also mentioned in the video above.
  20. M

i figured it out by myself. it is okay or inevitable to break the plastic cap between the pushrod of the master cylinder and the clutch pedal because it will come with the master cylinder when you buy a new one. i finally detached the master cylinder and the connecting pipe between the...
  21. M

hi i am in the middle of replacing the clutch master cylinder, too. how did you manage to disconnect the pushrod of the master cylinder from the clutch pedal? i had to break the plastic cap off already. do i need to go to a ford dealer to buy it? i would really appreciate your reply.
  22. M

Drivers side rear door stuck locked...

i had this problem with the driver's side rear door of 97 explorer and fixed it after reading recommendations here. what i did is basically pulling the rod connecting to the locknob while someone trying to open the door outside at the same time. Thank you everybody who posted here for giving me...
  23. M

02 Explorer Driver side seat belt buckle.

same experience i had the same problem with 97 explorer and fixed it by replacing the latch part with the one that i found on a junk yard (or actually a pick-a-part yard). it cost me about 15 dollars and the replacement was pretty simple. Once you start it, you can easily figure out.
  24. M

my used explorer

i bought a 97 explorer 5 speed and found a few problems. to get some information on fixing those problems i became a member of this site. i saw a lot of good threads from many people and found they are very helpful. thank you everyone and i want to be an active member myself.
Back