Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

pinging

A couple of thoughts: 1. Its possible the computer has been adjusting for extra air in the fuel mixture prior to having the intake o-rings replaced and now its getting less air:fuel causing the pinging. Try disconnecting the battery for a good 10-15 minutes and go through the re-learn idle...
  2. J

Answer from Ford Canada runaround answer

Inquiry/Concern -------------------------------- I own an explorer eddie bauer 2000 model from a ford dealer in Ottawa. I do not have an extended warranty on the vehicle, but the engine is making a rattling noise at mid rpm acceleration range. I have done extensive research on recalls...
  3. J

How to keep front rims clean?

On my 00 EB I have the factory aluminum rims, and within a couple days of washing them down brake dust just accumulates and it makes the front wheels look yellow in comparison to the nice shiny rears. I realize most of the braking is at the front which throws more dust on the front rims, but...
  4. J

Been asked 1000 times, but

I was wondering if any has had the chain tensioner rattling problem fixed in Canada free of charge. I'm originally from FLA but have been living in Canada for the past few years where I purchased the X. It has 77000 Km on it and I was wondering if anyone knows if ford dealers in Canada would...
  5. J

ABS question / concern

2000 explorer EB with abs brakes. Low Kms. Recently while at high speed on highway I had to slow down quickly and the truck started shaking like crazy until it slowed down but it was a little scary. Also at low speeds hard braking seems to jerk to a stop but not as violently as at high speed...
  6. J

HELP! Any way around programming keys?

Dealer tried to pull this crap with me as well on a one year old warrantied vehicle previous owner lost one of the keys and the fob; they wanted $100 the day after I bought the truck; so I emailed ford canada told them the vehicle VIN #, dealer location, and salesmans name. Moral of the story...
  7. J

Frame rust- when to do?

Basically what you need to do is take the voltage from your battery and invert it to output low amperage high voltage (400-450 D.C. Volts ), and at 3 or 4 points around the vehicle you send this voltage into the frame and chassis through capacitive couplers, essentially turning your entire...
  8. J

Frame rust- when to do?

Well for every vehicle I've owned I've used a trick I learned from my father who was an electrical engineer. Without going into full details, the idea is to stop any metal on the vehicle from oxidizing. So with a capacitor and a coupler run off the battery you can create a negative DC charge...
  9. J

Apten chip orientation on install ???????

Would be kind of funny if everyone had them upside down and the only performance improvements were in their minds.
  10. J

Well I was just curious because if you slide it under the board you can read the www.diablo.com thing, so it might have made sense to put it in that way.
  11. J

Do I have AWD ??

Seems like the auto 4X4 is the option all around. 4X4 as needed but 4X2 on normal conditions. And the option to quickly flick a switch for heavy or moderate offroad adventures. Do you need to reduce speed while engaging the low, or do any fangled backing up or anything like in the older...
  12. J

Alright I've got the computer out, and the connectors cleaned, now I have a really stupid question. With the computer oriented normally, does the chip go in with the devil horns over top of the EEC board or do you flip the chip over and slide it in under the EEC board to get the proper...
  13. J

Do I have AWD ??

A little confused my 4X4 selector has three positions, Auto, high, and low. Does this mean that I have AWD or just automatic 4 wheel drive engagement when required, could someone please clarify for me. Thanks:confused:
  14. J

Throttle body spacer story.

I did this against what I've read on the board, and to be honest aside from looking nice with the red coloured aluminum I didn't expect much of a difference. To my surprise after the install the accelerator and kickdown cables tightened up nicely as they were slightly loose to begin with. So...
  15. J

Rattling clunk over bumps from front end?????

Other than that noise it seems to ride and handle normally under all driving conditions.
  16. J

Rattling clunk over bumps from front end?????

Seems like a repetative clunking sound over bumps from the front end. Almost like something travelling between an open space. Any ideas? Suspension or front end parts problem??? Only has 70 000 km on it.
  17. J

What axle ratio is best for acceleration?

Would a 4.10 LS be the best for acceleration on a 2000? Would lower gear ratio's then be better for applying torque. Just wondering why there are different ratios offered.
  18. J

Does a 2000 SOHC V6 have a PCV valve?

And if it does where would it be located, can't find anything in the Chilton manual on the SOHC in regards to one.
  19. J

0-60mph times

2000 eddie bauer stock 4.0 SOHC with 4.10 axle ratio 0-60 mph time 9.108 seconds After install of Apten chip, Throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter adapter, cat-back exhaust, tightened throttle cable. 0-60 mph as recorded at the track 8.054 seconds. Also using premium fuel.
  20. J

Performance Chip Warning

A friend has an 02 explorer and put a superchip in it. After a couple months his transmission went. So he took out the chip and reset the computer and had it towed to the ford dealer. He then recieved a call from the dealer telling him the cost was coming out of his own pocket because he had...
  21. J

4.0L SOHC VS. 5.0L V8

Lets put this one to rest, with my V6 I can tow more than the weight of my explorer and with a few mods I've got approximately 240 HP with 0-60 mph times under 8 seconds. So unless you need to tow a motorhome weighing 7000 pounds the 4.0L is the superior engine IMHO, I had a V8 before and I...
  22. J

A5LDE or 5R55E ????

So is the 5R55E a good tranny?
  23. J

A5LDE or 5R55E ????

Probably a dumb question but when looking up my transmission code D, it tells me two options. 1. How do I know which one I actually have 2. Is there a difference 3. Which one is better of the two 4. With all the talk on this board about crappy trannies are either of these or both good ones?
  24. J

Daily commute

Thanks to a small business loan I just get out of bed in the morning and walk downstairs to work from home. Eddie and I go out in the evenings and sundays for some good old offroading.
  25. J

What is a D2 axle.

thanks, yes I just found it www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/ford/1992-2002_ford_explorer.htm
Back