Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

Rocker Arm Push Rod Kit -Northern Auto

I'm wondering the same thing. I chatted with the guy from that company. He said he had a rating with these. I need to replace mine too. I don't want to go back to replace them again. Mine are still the original ones from 91. Everything else has been replaced. I know the have alot of wear. I new...
  2. 1

93XL Explorer V8 swap

I didn't know that! It been a few years since I bought mine. Thanks for the info Maniak
  3. 1

IAC Questions

That's good.im trying to think how I got past that. I've had that had before. So basically it runs rough at operation temp. With bad mpg. Right? Have you done any checking of the FPR? See if the vacuum line has gas in it. That can suck gas strait into the engine.
  4. 1

93XL Explorer V8 swap

Alabama Cylinder Head is where I bought my complete heads for my 91 explorer. If you're good with tools. You can rip it down in a few hours and rebuild back in a good day. I did it in 6 hours going back, due to retorquing to specs.
  5. 1

IAC Questions

Mine had a crazy miss show up thinking it was all of that stuff. Finding out I had one spark plug die. Wasn't even that old. I spent over $100 trying to figure it out. Had no power and sucked gas. I replaced that plug, power came back. Might be worth looking in to. The simplest things can be...
  6. 1

Why does my ignition relay keep blowing?

Truck info. 91 Stock with the older wiring schematic that has the BAP. The Haynes book shows 91 but not the 91 I have. Must of been from the first half. This morning I had my 91 explorer idling to hookup a trailer. As I was walking to the back of the truck, it shuts off. So I went back to...
  7. 1

HELP: Why am I having a hard time passing emissions

Thanks! It's in the throttle body. The butterfly controls the airflow. Just take the intake hose off and you'll see a brass disc. Thus called a butterfly. Every engine has one or more.
  8. 1

FINALLY GOT IT TO PASS!!!! Parently there was too much carbon on the back of the butterfly plus the PCV valve was stuck, causing extra air. Passed with 56 HC > Limit 220 HC Thanks for everybody's input!!!
  9. 1

I did that on the first test. Still failed. I've been told about the alcohol thing. Using a gal of it to two gallons of gas. I have a guy I'm going to take it to in the morning that says he can get it to pass.
  10. 1

I haven't changed the air temp yet. I've checked it before and it seemed working. Haven't tried it at the computer. With two cans of seafoam, white smoking though a vacuum line. I still fail with high hc. Up to 400 hc this time. I can only fail one more time. Or move to another area or sale...
  11. 1

Seafoamed it. Seems better. Maybe that will work
  12. 1

Well after replacing everything. Sensors and computer I still can't pass!!! HC too high still. 375 HC. I have ran out of things to look for!!
  13. 1

Ok I'm still on the quest of why this thing will not pass. I have now until OCT to do it again. Problem now with a new computer the truck will idle 2200 rpms. If I unplug the IAC it will idle back to 500 rpms. Now I've replaced the IAC 3 times. When it's unplugg running the engine speed is...
  14. 1

Old tire size

That don't know. Since the tires are still mounted. The only numbers on the tires is 11-15. They are not the original sizing for it. I know the bolt pattern is the same as a full size Chevy
  15. 1

Old tire size

Yes the thread width is 10.5. I didnt measure the side
  16. 1

Old tire size

I measured them. They are 10.5 wide and 29 tall
  17. 1

UPDATE Replaced the computer. Runs a lot better. Got the crazy mis gone. But the bad thing is it still failed Emissions again :/ HC this time was up to 320. What else can I do???? Nothing is working
  18. 1

Old tire size

I have an old set of tires on a IH Scout. Not shock sizing. The only numbers I can find on the tires are 11-15 So I guess that means a 15" rim and 11" wide!? Where would I found tires that wide within the tire numbering used today. Any clues? I know this is an IH on an explorer forum, but...
  19. 1

UPDATE: I replaced the crank sensor. Still has the mis. I unhooked the battery all day. Hooked it back up last night. Started and let it run for a few mins. No driving. But within those few mins the mis was back. Without a driving cycle to learn. I'm going to a junk yard today to find a computer...
  20. 1

UPDATE: Did the test again for the 3rd time still failed. First test: 273 HC Second: 234 HC < using Guarantee to Pass Third: 257 HC .77 CO Limit in TN is 220 HC 4x4Junkie - I talked to a mechanic today. He said that I can pull the spout connecter to advance the timing and idle it up to...
  21. 1

I think so. Smoother idle. The only thing is I went out to drive it down the road and it would miss under the load, first time it's ever done that. Engine stopped as i was driving and than it ran better. Now it sounds better. I guess the computer had to relearn. I still have problem with it...
  22. 1

What I think I've narrowed it down to is the facted that I'm using the Duralast wireset. What I've read is that cause problems with a miss and stuff. I know other night in the dark a could see green arcs coming from the wires. Wires look good and a few years old. They are what I've ran ever...
  23. 1

Engine miss

So old corroded ground wires could cause a slight miss even if starting(the straining of the wire) has no trouble? I also have been trying to figure out my slight miss. Might be that. I have the 91
  24. 1

Interesting red plug - FOUND

The only problem is the other day I unplugged the AC to move the wire to get to the ECT. I forgot to plug it in. Thus it found the belt. So three wires were in it and I had to figure which ones worked. Hooked the wires up and finally got the compresser to work. Held air for over a few years. All...
Back