Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

SOHC V6 timing 2004 Explorer

Thanks Wrench. I had a couple e-mails between Streed Rod and myself. My frustration is that had been getting the two tell-tale signs of imminent; rattle at cold starup and what sounds like "pinging" while climbing a hill. The engine running between that 2500 and 3500 rpm range. It actually...
  2. G

Thanks StreetRod. Much appreciated, and I'm glad you could give better insight on the job for Wrench Fiddler. I'm vindicated in ordering the whole kit ($615) since the rear guide can still break as you have shown. Thanks also for the part numbers; a major time saving post.
  3. G

Hi Wrench, I'm not going to be able to help you with everything, but your timing is perfect. I too have a 2004 XLT 4WD, and I have just ordered the timing kit and tools. I have many years of wrenching, and It would benefit me if you can answer a question for me. What is prompting you to...
  4. G

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Way to go. It makes a huge difference with new hubs. The nice condition of your vehicle definately contributed to it being a fairly easy job. Keep it that way if you can.
  5. G

2004 explorer strut removal

What's the magic trick for getting out the top nut with the bumper hiding it from view. The dawgone body won't allow me to access it. Also, I thought the the cracking spring problem was on the '02's only. Thanks for any help. Gmben
  6. G

5R55W Fluid Fill

Not to bear the bad news, but I just had my 5R55S replaced at 93K. Started the slipping thing in forward and reverse (servo bore issue common to these). Cost me $3700.00 + a radiator and a tranny cooler. If any of you replace the tranny, note that the cooler should at the very least be...
  7. G

2004 heater control problem

$1,100 dollars buys me a lot of patience. Can't be much harder than changing the $48.00 water pump on my pontiac grand am. Dealer wanted $800.00. After realizing that you have to take off most of the front of the engine, I understand the high cost. Took me a bit of time, but got to put a new...
  8. G

I hear no noise, but it could be the most of the teeth are gone and it is stuck in the hot position. Thanks
  9. G

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Thanks to all Hey everyone, It is good to have safety in numbers when it comes to these types of problems. I too have to face the prospect of changing my actuator. Just noticed on Monday, during one of our early Wisconsin warm days that I kept feeling heat coming from the floor even...
  10. G

Heater problem
  11. G

Same problem as Dan My 2004 started the same thing today. Nothing but heat all the time. Mine has a front and rear heater control. Only one for the front of the compartment. If it is the blend door, how much work is involved? Gary
  12. G

Tranny flush question.....

Fluid Change Frequency Question Hi, I'm new to this site, and if I'm posting this question in the wrong spot please feel free to tell me where to start. My question relates to the 5R55(?) transmission. It is in a 2004 Explorer XLT with a 4.0 litre. I want to know if anyone has a concrete...
  13. G

Great price. I'll shoot a PM sometime soon. Thanks for the tip on new thread. I'm new to this, and wanna follow the rules. Later, GMBEN
  14. G

Hey potroast, $120!! Did that come with the abs sensor? I paid $203.00 from my NAPA guy which was a "mechanic's discount". They originally priced over the counter at about $20.00 more. These came with the sensor and all the nice rubber insulators and wire looms. I know I can get them...
  15. G

Mission Accomplished Hey Potroast, I was able to borrow a snap-on 15mm offset from my NAPA guy. He used to be a Ford mechanic, so there was a bonus there. I rewarded him with a six pack of Bud Light. I don't know why the heck those bolts are so tough to remove. Like you said, right...
  16. G

Newbie here, Fantastic website with a weath of info. I'm in the process of doing the driver side front bearing hub. Nice to know that I'm not the only one to encounter the fun with the 3 ugly bolts. As noted by someone many posts ago, the 15mm offset box wrench is the ticket. Too bad I...
Back