Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

Took the Explorer to AAMCO today...

I picked up the truck, and drove it home. Rather than a steady red check engine light, I now have a blinking yellow check engine light. Very odd. New engine, here I come!
  2. X

LOL, could you imagine how much beer and BBQ 1900 would be? Hell, I'm game for anything that would save me some money. That's for sure.
  3. X

I called Select Auto, and they said for a 93K engine put in w/1year warranty will be 1900. AAMCO says that they will replace my engine as well, and may be able to beat my price given. I have not called AAMCO back yet to give them the quote of 1900. Any "shade tree" mechanics you gentlemen...
  4. X

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would probably steer closer to getting it fixed rather than letting it run as such. But if money is tight enough, who knows. LOL I did a quick search. Of course no prices due to too late to call. However a warranty does sound nice. And installation too...
  5. X

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. Yes, it is a SOHC V6. It does "run". However you can feel the misfire as a little "jolt", or just feels rough as if the timing was off. It can be driven, however it can not keep the coolant. She says it is leaking from the thermostat, or the ECT sensor...
  6. X

OK, here is the update. I had just gotten off the phone with them, and they say the check engine light was "cylinder misfire". They look into it and it appears to be a leaking cylinder. She says it will take 12 hours of labor to remove, machine, and repair. They will also be replacing the ETC...
  7. X

Yes indeed. My thoughts exactly regarding the transmission. I'm sure they'll stick me for the leaks and engine price wise anyway. I'll have to keep as much money as I can. ;)
  8. X

Thank you StreetRod for your insightful reply. I will certainly take your advice when discussing that with them. Thank you sir.
  9. X

Thank you so much for your replies fellas. Yes, that is what I'll do. I'll hear from them on Monday, and I'll let you know what they say regarding the engine running rough. I'll also reply with a price quote after hearing from them on Monday. The management seem fairly nice. Didn't find...
  10. X

Well, tomorrows Monday, and I was hoping someone would come chime in prior to then. I would like some possibilities and feedback prior to going back there. Could someone please give me some advice on... Thank you.
  11. X

thermostat and sensor housing- do they crack?

I have been told my 99 XLT has a leak at the ECT sensor, as well as the thermostat, and timing cover gasket. Is the ECT sensor easy to replace? From this thread it appears it is an expensive part, and I do not want to take a chance in damaging it. Thank you.
  12. X

Coolant leak from timing cover??

Yes, an update would be nice as I have been told I have the same leak. Apparently I have a leak here, the thermostat, as well as the ECT. But I'll look for those threads and post there. Please someone chime in on this issue. Did you do it yourself? Was it easy? Tools involved? Price in...
  13. X

I had been having my 99 XLT sitting for a few months while I drive my other car. Prior to letting her sit, the check engine light had come on, the engine was running a bit rough, and I knew I had some kind of coolant leak. I decide it is time to start driving her again for the winter time. I...
  14. X

Removing Interior Get To Trans Access Plate

Well, don't forget the bolt that is in that fat wire harness. I did miss that my first tug. But after that, It slid right away. After removing all the bolts, just sit/squat where the back seats were, hold the console from the front, and pull back towards you. It will slide right to you. If you...
  15. X

How to remove back hatch interior panel (pictures)

I am sorry about that. Been so long, I do not remember what picture was to what, and I am going to bed. Here are the pictures in their new location. I am sure they will help you out. Good thing you replied to the thread and I received the email notice. :D
  16. X

I'd like to get to know some of the active Sacramento members

Yea, I figure I'd give the tensioner a try first since it is fairly inexpensive and maybe a days work. If it works, perhaps you may want to give it a try as well. If you decide to, I'd be more than welcome to help our since I had done it myself.
  17. X

I'd like to get to know some of the active Sacramento members

Hey, great! Thanks for replying!!! Yea, we still have not been able to do anything. Right now we are looking for some good (no license required) spots for fishing. We found a spot in Lincoln, but I would have to check it out first. Looks a bit small, and almost cheating like. LOL I actually...
  18. X

How to: Rear Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Great information indeed! I do have the ticking sound coming from the top/rear at idle. I was thinking it may be one of the guides wearing/broken (which may still be the case). But I had no idea that just the tensioner alone could be the result of the ticking sound. What a refreshing feeling...
  19. X

Engine swap prices (Sacramento)

Hmm. Well, I currently have 196,000 on this current one, and the other has only 86,000. I know there is a slight coolant leak on my engine, however I do not know where it is coming from. I believe my chain guide needs replacing due to I believe I can hear it (plastic sound from rear of engine)...
  20. X

Engine swap prices (Sacramento)

Hey there everyone. I am interested in purchasing an engine with over half as many miles as mine does. I am wondering if anyone would have an idea as to what prices I should be looking for when searching for someone to do the swap for me? The owner of the engine says he would be able to do the...
  21. X

Wind noise creeping in

Today, we went to a wedding, and I went through the auto car wash prior to going (First wash since I've owned it LOL). During the drying mode, I could REALLY hear and feel the wind coming from the middle/side, as well as part of the top of the door. Looking at the seals, they look great. Almost...
  22. X

Coin/tissue holder? Trivial question.

Yup! Here is a similar thread (like many others) I started as well: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2406091 :D
  23. X

Sorry, not for sale, but a funny story

Ok, I have a listing on Craigslist. It is just for 10.00. So, I've been talking to this guy for a couple of days via email, as well as phone. He finally come by a few minutes ago. I show him the item, I give a brief story as to why I do not need them any more, and he says "thanks" while...
  24. X

Will replacing the ball joints fix.....

Wow! Thank you so much for all the replies! I will tug on the tie rods and such for play. Is there to not be any at all, or a little is fine? The tires look to be in great condition. All wearing evenly with about 65% tread left. Now, if I hear a hollow sound when hitting a small bump every...
  25. X

Will replacing the ball joints fix.....

The previous owner had all four wheels balanced the day prior to me purchasing. I have the receipt. However, if I go above 65mph, I feel a slight vibration. The faster I go, the greater the vibration is. I do have a steering squeak, so it looks as though I need to replace the ball joints...
Back