Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Question on Wheel Fitment

I understand how wheel offset and backspacing works. My question is how are people with explorers the same as mine running wheels that should hit the strut if going by the specs of the wheel and the actual distance between tire/strut with stock wheels.
  2. M

Yes I measured it. Is the wheel to strut distance different on different models? Also I don't understand what you mean by 9"x44mm =171mm 10.5x45mm = 191mm What do the 171mm and 191mm represent?
  3. M

How are you guys squeezing 20x10.5 +45mm when the stock 20x9 +44mm is already so close to the strut? I'm looking to get a new set of wheels for my 2015 Explorer. While it's just an AWD XLT model, I currently have 2016 sport wheels. Those wheels measure at 20x9 with a +44mm offset and are only...
  4. M

Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing

LOL yeah I was afraid I was going to be dealing with a 15x30ft upside down chunk of sheet metal blocking the road
  5. M

Safe to pull my Jeep with my Explorer?

So what about a car dolly? I wouldn't be handling the whole load of the jeep since just the front would be of the ground.
  6. M

In all honesty it wasn't that bad. I was very surprised it went as well as it did especially considering I backed it down my one lane subdivision 100 yards with only a buddy guiding me and into my uphill driveway ;)
  7. M

15ft. x 30ft. garage on a 16ft. heavy duty tandem car trailer lol
  8. M

That never slowed me down...err... I mean ha ha that's funny :P
  9. M

I have a '99 Explorer 4x4 with the 4.0 liter that my wife bought new. It's always been well maintained and taken care of and has always been there when we needed it. Last year I installed a Class III Curt hitch rated as follows: Gross Trailer Wt. = 4,000 Lbs. / Max Tongue Wt. = 400 Lbs. Wt...
  10. M

Ford Explorer as a capable trail/climb rig?

Thanks for the reply. I saw two in the weeds the other day I might ask about. One was a two door 5 speed and the other a four door auto. What kind of limitations do you have with your setup?
  11. M

Ford Explorer as a capable trail/climb rig?

Okay guys I'll cut to the chase. I want a toy I can drive to the off-road park, beat on a little bit, and drive back home. I have a nice '99 explorer 4x4 as my "daddy ride" that my wife bought new and I can't bring myself to abuse it. So, I have been scouring Craigslist and all of the Jeep...
  12. M

New wheels, question about torsion bar lowering '99 Explorer

Hey guys I bought my wife a minivan so now her stock '99 4 wheel drive explorer is my "daddy ride". So I bought a set of 20s for it and I like the way they look but I hate the fender gap. I know I know it's 4 wheel drive and it's a sin to lower it but I think it would look so much better...
  13. M

Is this a common problem? Emissions Related.

Ok so first, I'm not very seasoned on this forum. I'm usually over on RPS because I drive a '95 splash. My fiance however drives a '99 Explorer. Anyway, I was installing new shocks a month or so ago and when I got to the rear I noticed that the bracket holding the emission canisters was...
  14. M

Needing a little help with front hub...I suspect?

Well I went ahead and bought a new hub assembly which came with a new sensor. After tearing it down, I'm glad I did. I'm ashamed to say the bearing was about to lock up. Dry as a bone and choppy. I also removed the speed sensor and it was all chewed up and demolished. So I changed out the...
  15. M

Thanks for the quick reply. The ABS light didn't kick on until after I changed out the rotors. We also had to use the 4x4 for snow a couple of days before the light kicked on. The dull hollow thumping sound has bee going on for a couple of months now. Since I changed the shocks I can only...
  16. M

Hey guys I'm usually over on ranger power sports but I need a little guidance on my fiances '99 explorer 4.0 4x4. For a while now whenever she hits a dip or bump in the road, the front driver's side sounds hollow. I thought it was because the shocks were junk so while changing the shocks, I...
Back