Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

P0016 Driving Me Nuts

So, the more I research this problem, the more confused I get. According to my follow up research, the P0016 refers specifically to bank 1, sensor A, which is a Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT Solenoid), and not a cam position sensor. This sensor is supposedly located on the right (passenger side)...
  2. R

P0016 - Cranskhaft Position Sensor vs Cam Position Sensor

Looks like that is the right place, but it appears that you pretty much have to pull most of the exhaust off of the engine to get to it.... can that be right??? I was able to get the small heatshield off, and I saw the wires going back into there, but I could not visibly see the sensor, or get...
  3. R

P0016 - Cranskhaft Position Sensor vs Cam Position Sensor

I have a 2011 Explorer, and I am experiencing what feels like a misfire. The car cranks, runs and drives, but it has a miss, and a CEL... I took it to AutoZone, they scanned it, and it gave me a P0016 code. They said it was most likely either the Crankshaft Position Sensor ($35), OR the Camshaft...
  4. R

A/C works, but doesn't

FIXED.... was the vacuum line that goes from the canister to something or somewhere under the heater core area. It had somehow decayed and broken. A quick connector had it up and going in no time.
  5. R

Can I wire Off Road Lights to stock switch

I recently changed the radio bezel on my 98 explorer, and the replacement I got just happened to have the factory fog light switch. Coincidentally, I am also adding a pair of 130 watt off road lights. Although my explorer didn't come with fog lights, it did have the electrical plug for the...
  6. R

A/C works, but doesn't

All of the sudden, today, after having been working fine, my A/C is not coming out of the dash vents. All fan speeds work, A/C blows cold, heat works, etc...... but they don't come out of the dash vents. Only the defrost... I did a search, and they say to check the connection on the canister...
  7. R

MAF, IAC clean & Seafoam

Haven't tried any of the steps yet, but i do hear what sounds like a vacuum leak near the a/c compressor (or smog pump).... didn't really pay attention to what it was... whatever is on top, on the left side of the engine.... I don't know if that is a normal sound from that area or not. :salute:
  8. R

MAF, IAC clean & Seafoam

well, the check engine light came back on..... But at least I have that warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing I did a few more useful things to the car. My search continues for the CEL issue. Error codes P0171 and P0174 (both banks running lean)
  9. R

MAF, IAC clean & Seafoam

Well, today was mechanic day...... I cleaned my MAF, IAC and did the Seafoam treatment. Those little felt filters under the black cap on the IAC were filthy, but I managaed to get them quite clean.... Let everything dry very good, had the negative battery cable undone the whole time to reset the...
  10. R

starting issue?

check your negative battery cable too wherever it bolts to the chassis.....
  11. R

starting issue?

It is an electronic sensor on the left (drivers) side of the transmission. very easy to see. just crawl under there and you will see the plug. I would suggest pulling it apart, spraying it with some electrical cleaner, let it air dry for a few minutes, then put a nice little glob of dielectric...
  12. R

Codes P1762, P0171 & P0174

starting issue fixed...... i think
  13. R

starting issue?

Does the stereo and dash lights and stuff come on??? Or nothing at all?? I had a similar issue. With mine, the ignition would come all.... stereo, and everything, but the starter wouldn't engage. This would only happen occassionally. If that is the case with yours, mine turned out to be (at...
  14. R

Problem solved (i think) Transmission Range Sensor

Now I am done (hopefully) with the one problem, I moved on to searching for the 4 LO problem, and yes.... I admit it.... I am a moron.... :rolleyes: :mad: I didn't know it had to be in Neutral with foot on brake to switch into 4 LO.... I went back out to the truck, and it worked perfectly...
  15. R

Now that i feel like i could almost write a book, or at least a chapter on this, I think i found the problem....... I crawled under the EX today to get a closer look at the trans range sensor and the shift motor on the transfer case. My intention was to separate the connectors and clean them...
  16. R

Codes P1762, P0171 & P0174

So, my check engine light is on, I have an intermittent starting issue where the ignition turns on, but the starter sometimes won't engage (about 20% of the time), and my 4hi/4lo lights blink 6 times every couple minutes or so.... Aside from that, the truck starts, and runs great. I have done...
  17. R

So, i have been having this intermittent starting issue, and I have tested a range of things. Recently, I learned that I can crank the car right up by jumping a wire from the positive side of the battery to the 87A slot for the starter relay in the Power Distribution Box when the car acts up...
  18. R

One step closer. Starter Circuit Problem

fnrujrghdffxvcjh.0o9o
  19. R

I have tried that, and still nothing..... but thanks.
  20. R

Well, I have had this intermittent starting issue. Occassionally when I get in the car and turn the key, it won't start... Everything else works, but the starter will not engage.... I took it to a shop today and they did a quick FREE evaluation. The starter is good, and the solenoid. Then we...
  21. R

Anti-Theft question

I had some starting issues too, and I found this thread from 2000StreetRod that was VERY helpful... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2352806
  22. R

This is sooooo aggravating. Starter disable???

I will keep looking, thanks
  23. R

I can't find the "remote located solenoid" next to the battery... I have a OHV V6.. Is it in a different location, or does it not have one?? I don't see it by the battery, unless it is hidden behind something. The Haynes manual says it is located "in the engine compartment between the battery...
  24. R

ok, it did it again today when I left work..... It had been fine when I went to work, then I went to lunch, and made a cpl more stops, and back to work... all was well. When I left work, I got in it and no crankie pankie. I waited 20 minutes, trying it many times in between, until finally...
Back