Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

rear hatch

rear hatch does not close even from left to right or side to side. any fix?
  2. M

High Idle and Fluctuating temp guage

just sitting warming up is when the guage goes to a quarter way up . When i start to drive is when it goes crazy. 4.0 sohc engine.
  3. M

High Idle and Fluctuating temp guage

Just started doing this. On cold starts everything seems normal. Idle around 6- 800 rpms. Temp guage about a quarter of the way up from C. Drive about a mile and rpms at about 1500 and temp guage above the halfway mark. Could it be thermostat or sensor ? Thanks in advance.
  4. M

Rear hatch on 99 Sport

Need help in removing interior trim on the rear hatch. Thanks,Mike
  5. M

door ajar light switch

DeRocha- I am 99% sure the lift gate is my problem. For the last few months I have had to close it several times to get the dome lights to go off. Also the door ajar light. Now they will not go off at all. With the key on or the vehicle running I get a chime when I open the drivers side or...
  6. M

door ajar light switch

Ray and DeRocha -Thanks for the replies. Do I take the latch itself out to replace or unplug these switches or do I take the interior trim off ? Also I heard that both latches on each side of the lift gate have the switches ,is this correct ? One more question - what are the two spring loaded...
  7. M

door ajar light switch

How do I disarm the switches?
  8. M

door ajar light switch

How do you replace the door ajar light switches in the rear lift gate ? 99 Ex Sport Thanks in advance, Mike
  9. M

Ford Smoke Test

I keep getting code PO455 - Evaporative Emission System Leak (gross leak) . Has anyone had this test done ? I have replaced the gas cap and the canister vent solenoid. I do not want to keep replacing parts if not needed. Vehicle needs inspection this month. Any ideas ? Sounds like the smoke test...
  10. M

Cel Po455

Nobody have opinions !
  11. M

Cel Po455

Replaced gas cap and canister vent solenoid . What would be the next step ? Any idea how much Fords smoke test would cost ? Replaced solenoid on Sunday and light came on today Thursday.
  12. M

Transmission Advice

Thanks for the reply Glacier. Just a update , I put on about 50 miles today and it seems to shift just fine. Opera House if you have any thing to add it would be appreciated. Thanks.
  13. M

Transmission Advice

Have been having transmission problems with slipping. 1999 Sport with the 4.0 SOHC engine and 51000 miles. I have been using a dealer for repairs that I trust. Had the seperator plate replaced and the valve body gaskets. Still slipping. Had them drive it on Tuesday and they made me an...
  14. M

Ford Remanufactured Transmissions

What is the cost on the rebuilt trannys?
  15. M

Transmission Slip

99 Sport with 51,000 mi. Slips about 40 to 50 percnt of the time 2nd and 3rd gear.Took it to my dealer which I have used before with no problems. They replaced the seperator plate,valve body gaskets and filter. Picked it up Friday and it still slips. Taking it back Tuesday. What should the next...
  16. M

Transmission Slip

Replaced seperator plate and valve body gaskets- still slipping. Any ideas on the next step ? Had work done at a dealer that I have used before. Taking it back Tuesday. Should I take it to a regular transmission shop or stick with the dealer. 99 sport 51,000 miles
  17. M

Cannister Vent Solenoid

Has anyone installed one of these? Mounts to the cannister above the spare tire. Are there any special tools needed to remove the hoses?
  18. M

Transmission Slip

Occasionally the transmission will slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. I am having the fluid and filter changed this week. Anything to look for while the pan is off ? 1999 Exp Sport 4x4 with 50,000 miles. 5 speed auto.
  19. M

Repair manuals on CD

Where can I find a repair manual on cd for a 1999 Sport at a reasonable price ? Thanks
  20. M

Purge solenoid or vent solenoid

What is the difference between these two solenoids? Which one is attached to the charcoal cannister on a 1999 sport. Keep getting code PO455- gas cap is new. Thanks
  21. M

Check Engine DTC PO455

Glacier- Thanks for all the info. If it is not my gas cap can you tell me where the Vapor Management Valve and the Cannister Vent Solenoid are located ? Can the replacement be done by a DIY ? My Haynes book does not show it . 1999 Sport. Once again thank you.
  22. M

Check Engine DTC PO455

Could it be just my gas cap ? How tight should they be ?
  23. M

Need help with a part number / company for vent shades

Try WeatherTech.com . They have the visors that go in the window channel.
  24. M

OBD-II scanner or code reader

Al and Robert - What price are we looking at for a scanner ? A code reader will give me a starting point for fixing a problem ,will it not ?
  25. M

OBD-II scanner or code reader

AL - How about a Equus 3100 code reader ?
Back