Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Front driveshaft flange stuck

Went at it with a fresh head today, let some penetrating spray soak for a couple hours, took about 2 seconds it was off:hammer:
  2. S

Front driveshaft flange stuck

2006 explorer I was trying to pull the front driveshaft to replace a bad u-joint, hammering on the flange to get it separated from the transfer case and the propeller joint housing separated instead. Some big ass bearings came out the whole deal. I can't get it back together without getting...
  3. S

A/C Pulley Squeaking

Just in case anyone else is having a squeaking problem they can't narrow down..Turned out the belt was stretched. I just had the same issue on an older ranger, after replacing a couple pulleys I changed the belt and no more squeaking on that. I was ready to change the A/C pulley on the EX and...
  4. S

A/C Pulley Squeaking

Hello! I've had a quiet chirp chirp coming from the engine for a while (been a few months:eek:). Usually only hear it at idle, i'm not sure if it was gone while driving, but I couldn't hear it anyway. Well today it started giving a nice loud squeaking when the rpms raise and it's pretty...
  5. S

Whirring Noise While Driving

Thanks for all your help, I guess i'll just take the wait and see approach!
  6. S

Well I ran it up and down the road a few times in 4high, brought it up to about 40, never made the noise. I'm stumped as to why this would be an intermittent problem.
  7. S

Thanks for the reply! I doubt it's the brakes since there is no change when braking, will inspect them though. Is it safe to drive it in 4x4 on dry ground for a short period? I thought I read somewhere it is bad for the drivetrain. Should I run it in 4hi or 4low? Or does it not matter? I don't...
  8. S

Hey, I've been getting a whirring noise for the last week on my 06' v6 explorer with 107k. It almost feels like a broken belt on a tire or a bad wheel bearing. Tires are less than a year old and wheel bearings about the same. Brakes are all good. The strength of whirring vibration felt on...
  9. S

Next Vehicle?

I've had my 06' for almost 3 years and I love it. Just hit 100k and runs and rides great. Of course I just dropped about $1300 on it for tires, two bearings, plugs and wires, fuel filter, trans flush and oil change. But it's a great truck. I say if you like it go for it.
  10. S

Replaced Wheel Bearing Still Noisy

Well $40 for the bearing (had $20 reward on autozone card), $55 to have it pressed on/off, a little blood and alot of cursing and she's quieter than ever. Almost too quiet. Just hit 100k today and rides like new.
  11. S

Yea, I see autozone also has the bearing only for about $80. I pulled the rear hub/spindle off yesterday, all I can say is what a pain in the ASS! Didn't expect to have to pull the trailing arm off with it. Gonna bring it to a machine shop to get it pressed on/off, hopefully this will quiet...
  12. S

Just wanted to update my situation. Been sick for two weeks with that flu/sinus crap going around. Finally got it in the air today and it's the rear drivers side. The other 3 wheels are tight but this one has some play. Is the replacement of the rear pretty much the same as the front? I've...
  13. S

Well it is 4x4 but hopefully I dont have the same problem as you SBV45! I did check for play on the balljoints when I had it jacked up, the drivers side lower does have a little play but passenger side is tight. I didnt think to check for play on the pass. side wheel when it was up :-/ I guess...
  14. S

I've had the wheel bearing hum for a while now, i figured it's the drivers side since when I turn right it gets louder compared to when I turn left. So I finally replaced the drivers side this past weekend. The humming is still there, hasn't changed. So could it actually be the passenger side...
  15. S

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Are you sure its a wheel bearing? Sounds more like its drivetrain related, I would think it would hum no matter what if it was a bearing.
  16. S

I've been doing some part searching and everything says HUB29 is not compatible with my vehicle but HUB67 is. HUB67 is about $60 cheaper than HUB29 so bonus i guess! Also I was seeing the SKF hubs starting at $70, i've gotta assume that they're probably knockoffs for that price.
  17. S

Thanks for the link xsportx. Explorer_PL i've learned my lesson with the chinese bearings from working on my honda, One of them were actually junk before the car was on the ground, put the wheel on and it was sloppier than the bearing that it replaced lol Thanks again, time to save a few more...
  18. S

Thanks for the input! My brother in law works in a machine shop and can press them off/on for me, but doesn't do any good if it's one piece! I guess ill start my search then. I read that the part number depends on whether the truck was manufactured before or after 11/29/06 how can i find out...
  19. S

So my front driver side bearing is humming like a **** and i've been reading about replacing it. First of all I am SHOCKED at the price of a replacement :eek: Is replacing the hub required? Are you able to replace just the bearing unit or is it one piece? I've replaced wheel bearings on hondas...
  20. S

Keyless entry code

From what i've read it's in the passenger side dash, the airbag needs to be removed to see it. Or go to the dealer and have them scan for it, depending on the dealer it will cost anywhere from $50-$75. If you want instructions on how to get it yourself, search the forum, you'll find MANY...
  21. S

2000 dodge caravan trans

Hi, trying to find out what years transmissions are interchangeable with a 2000 caravan with a 3.0. Thought maybe someone here might know, if you do, let me know! I've done alot of searching online but haven't found any definite answers. So any input would be appreciated Thanks!
  22. S

Tail lights?

It might fit into the spot, but i think the 4th gen lights use 3 sockets whereas the 3rd gen only uses 2. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong
  23. S

got my 2 crave no. 15's installed

Love it, I would say tint the front windows and it's done
  24. S

How much $ for brake job on '06 XLT?

I just replaced all rotors and pads on my 06' with 80k, It was less than $300 doing it myself. HUGE difference in braking quality! It's a pretty easy straight forward job, 4 bolts each side on the front(2per caliper&2per bracket) and 2 each side on the back, took maybe 2 hours. The bearings...
  25. S

Where to put the better tires?

Thanks for the replies, it's my 06 explorer that I was wondering about. I'll be putting the nicer ones on the rear, I'd be fine with a little oversteer but i think it'll be safer for the wife. ;) short
Back