Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Transmission For 1998 AWD Mountaineer

Are there different variations of this transmission, or would any one from the same year/similar application work? Of course, I am assuming the transfer case would simply bolt and unbolt from the transmission and connect to another. Or, could I delete the transfer case altogether and change...
  2. M

Transmission For 1998 AWD Mountaineer

Can anyone tell me what transmission is used in the1998 Mercury Mountaineer AWD with the 5.0. It's automatic. We've had ours for 22 years and are almost at the 300,000 mile mark and the transmission went out today. The engine is still pretty solid, however. I'm trying to decide if it is...
  3. M

UPDATE: Motor Mount Stud Bolts - Size Listed

Information updated. See above.
  4. M

Got it myself: 7/16-14 x 1-1/4" stud downsized to 3/8-16 x 1-1/4" for mounting brackets, 2-1/2" overall length.
  5. M

I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0L V8, formerly an AWD. I have broken the two motor mount studs on the passenger side of the motor. Can anyone tell me what size and thread they are? I would appreciate it very much. UPDATED 12/28/2020: After successfully replacing these broken...
  6. M

Thread Size For EGR Port on Exhaust Manifold

On a Mountaineer with the 5.0 v8, what is the thread size on the port where the EGR tube connects? I had to do some repair work to my manifold this week and discovered these threads are also slightly damaged. What die do I need to get to repair these threads?
  7. M

Broken seat reclining lever

I had this problem. I took the seat out of the car and placed it on my welding table. Covered everything up but the broken metal with protection and then welded it back together. I threw in a little reinforcement for extra measure. I don't see it getting broken again. Not simple or easy...
  8. M

No Air From Front Vents - Blower Working

For anyone who is interested and might be having this same issue, the problem turned out to be a broken vacuum line. I just happened to notice one hanging loose on the passenger side of the engine. When I repaired it, boom! The vents began working properly.
  9. M

No Air From Front Vents - Blower Working

I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer. Recently, the air stopped blowing from the front middle a/c vents. However, the air continues to blow from the other vents. I know the blend door is not the problem because I fabricated one out of steel and after installing it I've had no more problems. (I...
  10. M

Flooding Problem With 1998 Mountaineer 5.0

I replaced the plugs and wires very carefully, one at a time. If I had accidentally swapped wires, it wouldn't run good at any time. As it is now, it only has issues when it is warm and I start it up five to fifteen minutes after turning it off.
  11. M

I have already replaced the coolant temp sensor. I am leaning toward the leaking fuel injector, but why would it only do it when it is warm?
  12. M

I have been trying to resolve several issues with my Mountaineer over the past several months. I have got most of the problems eliminated, however I still have an issue with this thing apparently flooding when it has warmed up. When starting from cold, it cranks right up very well every time...
  13. M

Starting and then dying

I recently had a similar issue with our '98 Mountaineer with the 5.0. It would have trouble starting and then idling after it had been driven for awhile or had warmed up to operating temperature. I changed the fuel pressure regulator in it yesterday and so far it seems to be running much, much...
  14. M

1998 Mercury Mountaineer Runs Rough/Dies At Times

Oh yes, it starts fine after overnight. Also, we don't notice this problem when we go longer distances down the highway. Just mostly after idling or stop and go traffic, especially on a hot day.
  15. M

1998 Mercury Mountaineer Runs Rough/Dies At Times

I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0, approx. 225,000 miles. Has, for the most part, always been very dependable. Sometimes, however, particularly on a hot day, it begins to run very rough. This mostly happens after it is left idling for a while, such as waiting in line at school to...
  16. M

Faulty Gas Gauge

I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 Ranger with the 3.0 V6. One issue that is glaring at me is that the gas gauge doesn't work properly. The current owner has told me that he has recently replaced the pump and sending unit and the instrument cluster in an attempt to fix the problem, but it...
  17. M

To Remove Exhaust Manifold, Does The A/C Compressor Also Have To Be Removed?

Thank you all for the replies! I ended up plunging into the project before getting a chance to read your posts. I can tell you from personal experience that no, you DO NOT have to remove the a/c compressor to remove the driver's side exhaust manifold. I was concerned the bolts would be rusted...
  18. M

To Remove Exhaust Manifold, Does The A/C Compressor Also Have To Be Removed?

I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 engine. I have a terrible exhaust leak on the driver's side and need to remove the exhaust manifold to repair it and replace the gasket. According to the Haynes manual, it says that I have to remove the A/C compressor to do this. Is that...
  19. M

Tapping & Vibration Sound From Driver's Side Valve Cover

I have a 1998 Mountaineer with the 5.0L V8. It has about 186,000 miles. It's had a slight exhaust leak for awhile, but just recently we've noticed a tap-rattle that seems to be coming from inside the driver's side valve cover. I let a retired mechanic friend hear it and he thought it...
  20. M

Fuel pump / Fuel tank - Tips and warnings

Lack of oxygen in the tank? The oxygen supply comes from the air intake, not the gas tank. I don't think the the level of oxygen in the gas tank is an issue, but I could be wrong...
  21. M

Clunk-vibration When Starting Off

Any suggestions?
  22. M

Clunk-vibration When Starting Off

I'm having an issue that I would like some help trying to diagnose before I climb back under my Mountaineer. As before, it's a 1998 Mountainer 5.0 that was originally AWD. I have since removed the AWD unit and shaft. When first taking off, I'm getting a sort of bump-slip-bump vibration from...
  23. M

Stalling at 1/4 Tank - SOLVED! (How I Fixed It.)

That is possible, and I did consider that. In fact, when I took the tank back down after the initial install, I returned the pump and strainer for a new one just to make sure I hadn't got a dud. I knew the strainer I was buying was a little different from the OEM, so I asked about it and...
  24. M

Even when mine had the original pump, this was still an issue, though not so pronounced. With the original pump, it would stall on a hill with less than 1/4 tank. With the aftermarket, it stalled at 1/4 tank everytime. It would even stall going around left hand turns. I would guess it's...
  25. M

Going on two weeks and still no stalls! Yay me!!!! LOL! Sorry, but it is just such a relief to not have to worry about this anymore.
Back