Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Explorer 2004 parasitic drain engine fuse #15

Did you ever solve this? I'm having the same issue, I think. .5 amp draw but drops when I pull fuse 15.
  2. T

GenIII humming in rear (not bearings)

I'm taking that as it's ok to drive a bit without the rear shaft in place.
  3. T

GenIII humming in rear (not bearings)

I have a 2004 Mountaineer AWD with the 4.6. I developed a humming noise from the rear of the vehicle last fall, but it was only at 65 and faster. It's progressed now and it does it all the time. I replaced the rear bearings, but no improvement. I dropped the rear driveshaft to change u-joints...
  4. T

P0741 again, please help

Infamous P0741 and OD light flashing on 99 Mountaineer. 245k miles (I know, I know). Just changed fluid, filter, and TCC solenoid, and cleaned the VSS or whatever sensor it is in the pumpkin, which was new last year for an ABS light issue. On the last live scan ride, it would not throw the...
  5. T

5R55E w/P0741 code, TCC solenoid?

Tcc p0741 Has anyone successfuly resolved this issue? I have it on my 99 Mountaineer with 252k miles. Only thing wrong, so I'd like to fix before winter. My fluid looks nice and red, but it slips (2300RPM at 60MPH, then starts flashing the OD light. What's the best way to drop the pan. Do...
  6. T

P0171 P0174 yet again - please help!

Update The Mountaineer is still running great 9 months later, and now at 247k miles. No more lean codes. The $50 used fuel pump was a good investment. Trans is starting to slip now and I have the flashing O/D light. More fun under the old pig.
  7. T

Explorer 4.0 OHV - system too lean banks 1 & 2 Please HELP!!!

Definitely check the fuel pressure first. I just went through this, and luckily I was able to read all the sensors real time, so I didn't throw parts at it. The 99 should be an SOHC, and should have 62 psi on the rail (front left of the motor). The regulator on the 99 is in the tank, just...
  8. T

My truck doesnt like the cold

If it idle fine once it warms up, the 4.0 motors are notorious for leaky intake gaskets. Easy job, about $20 of parts. IAC could be dead on too. My most recent bout of this problem was low fuel pressure. Turned out to be a bad regulator.
  9. T

p0143, p1405, p0171, p0174

Fix it yet? Hey, if you still need help, the DPFE fault has to do with the DPFE sensor on the driver side of the block, and it has to do with the EGR system. That sensor failing will cause the lean codes. The low voltage from the O2 sensor means the O2 sensor is reading, wait for it.... a...
  10. T

Hey Phoenix Low mfg displayed on the mileage computer could be caused by this. Mine had dropped to 16-17 before my codes set. Check the fuel pressure and make sure it's in spec. When's the last time you changed the filter? If you're truck is older than 1998, your pressure regulator is on...
  11. T

Oh, special thanks to 2000streetrod too, he clued me in that my system had a higher pressure than earlier years. That was the key piece of info right there.
  12. T

Sucess!! OK, to follow up with this project, I actually just put in the new fuel pump tonight. 50 bucks for a used one with 80k miles on it, and 90 day warranty, so how can I lose? Anyway, no codes after 25 miles, and the lie-o-meter is saying 20.9 mpg, whereas this morning it was reading...
  13. T

Fuel pump install question.1 OK, I have a pump now. I started cutting the hole to access the pump from up top, and unlike the pictures I've seen here, theres a rail in the way. It is a formed sheet metal stiffener that looks like it has the body mounts on it. Should I notch this thing, or...
  14. T

Actual mileage or displayed on computer? Either way, probably. The truck will actually run lean, the O2 sensors will tell the PCM, and it will compensate by increasing injection pulses to get more fuel. If it hits the limit on the fuel trim, you'll get a check engine light. Are you storing...
  15. T

Thanks, 2000XLS, that makes me feel like my diagnosis is dead on. My average mileage has been slowly degrading on the display. That must get calculated from the injector pulse width and RPM that the PCM is reading. This also explains hard starting when hot. I'm hopefully going to have access...
  16. T

Yeah, I looked up the pressure spec, and it does seem I'm running about 1/2 of what it should, huh? The weird thing is that my buddy's scanner supposedly knows the specs for the car (it reads the VIN) and it showed in spec. It's definitely a 1999, and the pump is probably original. How bad is...
  17. T

I'm ten minutes from you, in Waterford, so if you want to get together, let me know. I'd appreciate it if you have any ideas.
  18. T

Good thought on the split manifold. I looked it over really well when I did the gasket, but I could have missed it. My friend, an actual mechanic, helped me with his scanner, and doused the motor with carb cleaner looking for leaks. I stepped back about ten feet, but he knows what he's doing...
  19. T

THIS PROBLEM IS SOLVED. JUST EDITING SO PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TO ADD IDEAS. IT WAS FUEL PUMP OK, I've read EVERYTHING related to these lean codes. 1999 Merc Mountaineer with 4.0 SOHC. Replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets, curing the rough idle when cold - still get the codes even in...
  20. T

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

Awesome write up. Very clear and easy to follow. Luckily my axle nut was not too bad. However, a word of warning. Following conventional logic, I thought my passenger side bearing was bad because the growling stopped when I turned right, shifting weight to the left. Not so. Growling was...
Back